News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

William_G

Re: Course record at The Ocean Course
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »
A tournament course record is a tournament course record.  Male records and female records are usually separated.  Differentiate competitive course record with non-competitive course record but you can't put an asteriks for more or less wind, soft or firm conditions or a "friendlier" course set up by organization in charge of setting up the course.

Ken

How about when lift clean and place is in play?

Also what happens when a course is softened over the years and the CR goes lower?

thanks
It's all about the golf!

Ken Fry

« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »

How about when lift clean and place is in play?

Also what happens when a course is softened over the years and the CR goes lower?

thanks

Split hairs or don't spilt hairs.  The more exceptions people come up with, the more you muddy the water.  No course wants a full page of course records from each tee, under each season, under each gender, under every form of play, under each weather condition, after every course tweak from shifting a bunker to moving a green.  At the end of the day, a course record means very little.

It drives me crazy to hear golf courses brag about how high their course record is.  I immediately think the course must not be fun to play.

Ken

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2012, 02:01:04 PM »
Fwiw, I recall reading an interview with Curtis Strange where he said his 62 on The Old Course was no longer recognized as the record, due to many changes, and he was pretty ticked.

Tough call, it's pretty easy to see both sides.

As an aside, wasn't the World Cup event in 2003? I recall the date rather well, as the course was closed during my only visit to Kiawah, something I hope to rectify someday. Was there another World Cup at Kiawah in 1997?

EDIT: just googled it, it was indeed at Kiawah both in '97 and '03.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 02:02:48 PM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Doug Siebert

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »
Course record is just a number, one shouldn't put too much thought into trying to compare two rounds.  There are so many variables - equipment, yardage, pin locations, severity of rough, tree/bunker removal/addition, softness/firmness, wind.

Even on two consecutive days a 69 could be far better than a 62 playing the same exact length if the 62 is played on a calm day to friendly pin positions and the 69 played in a 35 mph wind to evil pin positions.  Given that, trying to compare a record today to one 20 years ago is just pointless.
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2012, 09:20:49 PM »
A little off-topic, Mike, but do you know what the amateur course record is?  I'm thinking a former Stanford player named Rob Grube might have held it, but my memory isn't very reliable.

Thanks.

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2012, 01:23:39 PM »
I do not know...

Nigel Islam

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2012, 02:27:26 PM »
I vote 63 as the record.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back