News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Western Gailes = The Most Welcoming Club In Scotland
« on: August 18, 2012, 07:59:41 AM »
Western Gailes is a wonderful course that requires precision and a deft touch around the greens. I'm sad that it has taken me so long to visit there.

It is a true natural out-and-back links course with some of the most glorious golfing ground in Scotland. The sixth hole is now one of my favorite par 5s on the planet! We played in an east wind which is considered the most difficult and (like most links courses) the course was kind downwind and brutal when we turned into it. The east wind only offers six downwind holes, the rest are either straight into your choppers or directly across! I'm a member at Deal with a tough finish into the wind, but Western Gailes in an east wind makes Royal Cinque Ports seem like a pussycat in comparison.

As good as the course proved to be, the club is even better! This is without a doubt the most welcoming club I have ever visited in the UK. Everyone had a smile on their face, made a point of speaking, and thanked us for visiting. We truly felt like we were guests in someone's home. The visitor fee included a very nice casual lunch one option of which was the most outstanding burger of Scottish beef.

Of all the clubs I have visited in Scotland this is the one I would most like to join... all things considered.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 06:50:58 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Yancey_Beamer

Re: Western Gailes = The Most Welcoming Club In Scotland
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:41:52 PM »
Excellent!I had the same experience!
Yancey

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:03:21 PM »
I might add it has a locker room a man can feel at home in. It is a splendid course that happens to be close to a few great ones. It belongs with them as must plays.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:16:08 AM »
Do NOT wear shorts to play.  The place makes a KILLING selling high socks for 20 quid/pair.

Its a lovely track with some awesome green sites.  I can't seem to remember the exact hole, but somewhere around 13 is a green that is nestled down between two dunes.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 08:48:42 AM »
Do NOT wear shorts to play.  The place makes a KILLING selling high socks for 20 quid/pair.

Its a lovely track with some awesome green sites.  I can't seem to remember the exact hole, but somewhere around 13 is a green that is nestled down between two dunes.

HAHA! I was going to say the same thing. I do not get the infatuation with high socks. I think it looks HORRIBLE.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 09:21:43 AM »
Hmmm under the old regime in 2011 it was slightly different, despite winds gusting to 88mph (officially hurricane force 12), Prestwick airport closed due to the wind and police advice not to drive unless absolutely necessary the course was open and no refunds on pre-paid green fees. I'm pleased to say on taking up his position the new secretary dealt with our issue to mutual satisfaction.

Not knowing where we were from the previous sec informed me "most of our visitors appreciate the challenge of playing in the wind".
Cave Nil Vino

ward peyronnin

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 12:59:14 PM »
Do the lockers still look they were cabbaged together from scraps of shipwreck flotsam? 

Loved them and this was after a remodel; they left em alone. I always say to folks that this course is so overlooked on the Ayrshire coast
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 01:41:26 PM »
Those golfers who are slow players should have to spend an hour in the wet/dry room.

Doubtful they'd play slow again ;D

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2012, 11:04:45 AM »
Has long been a course that flies slghtly under the radar, but now ecoming realised as one of the true GREAT links courses.
I tell everybody this should be in the top five of ant trip to the Isles..wonderfully original, untouched and how golf should be.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2012, 03:28:09 PM »
Do the lockers still look they were cabbaged together from scraps of shipwreck flotsam? 

Loved them and this was after a remodel; they left em alone. I always say to folks that this course is so overlooked on the Ayrshire coast

Yes, Wardo... the lockers are original and do resemble a weathered shipwreck!  ;D
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mark Smolens

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
On my first trip to Scotland back in '91 our second day was spent playing a round with the manager of the club (Gibson Beatty) (sp?), and then retiring to his apt. on the second floor of the clubhouse, looking out at Ailsa Craig and being introduced to single malt scotch for the first time. We were watching Wimbledon on the telly, drinking single malt with Bud Ice chasers. . . and the next day my caddie at Prestwick had to tee my ball up and take it out of the hole on those infrequent occasions when I was able to roll the ball into the middle of the three holes I was seeing  :P. Gibson wasn't a scotch drinker (the pro I was traveling with had brought over a bottle of Jack Daniels for him), but had a huge assortment for me to try.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back