News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Go Cal Bears!
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:16:40 AM »
Michael Weaver and Brandon Hagy, two members on the UC Berkley golf team have reached the semi-finals of the U.S. Am. It is also the 1st time in 10 years that all the semi-finalists are from the U.S.   

http://www.sfgate.com/sports/golf/article/2-Cal-golfers-in-U-S-Amateur-semifinals-3797567.php

Kris Shreiner

Re: Go Cal Bears!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 07:13:54 AM »
David,

Impressive results from the Bear contingent! Thanks for the article link. I'll be tuning in with a bit more interest this weekend. Is the stadium work complete for the football complex? I've always loved that setting and think it is one of the coolest in college football.

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 09:56:05 AM »
David,

Is the stadium work complete for the football complex? I've always loved that setting and think it is one of the coolest in college football.

It is, the Bears had their first practice in the stadium a few days ago.  What's amazing is the seating looks almost exactly the same?  They did build an enormous spaceship type press box.

Matthew Essig

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2012, 02:56:56 PM »
Congrats to Cal... But I am disappointed that there is no Washington semifinal... Go Huskies!!!!!!!!!
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 03:03:48 PM »
Michael Weaver and Brandon Hagy, two members on the UC Berkley golf team have reached the semi-finals of the U.S. Am.

Michael Weaver won but Hagy lost to Steven Fox of Tennessee/Chattanooga.  Both are going to the Masters.  Congrats.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 04:00:33 PM »
I think Mr. McBride will be visiting the stadium next week. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

BCrosby

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 04:04:15 PM »
Sounds like the U Cal Bears need a football team their golf team can be proud of.

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:31:15 PM »
What course does Cal call home, practice, etc?

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 05:36:24 PM »
Bill -

I don't know which course the Cal team uses for their practice rounds. I do know the Cal golf team has a dedicated, purpose-built short game area at the Metropolitan GL, near the Oakland Airport. That course also has a turf driving range that the team uses. I don't know how often the team actually plays the course.  

When the Cal golf team hosts the Pac-!2 tournament, they usually play it at Orinda CC (or at least they have played it there in the past).

DT
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 05:44:36 PM by David_Tepper »

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 07:14:15 PM »
Bill -

I don't know which course the Cal team uses for their practice rounds. I do know the Cal golf team has a dedicated, purpose-built short game area at the Metropolitan GL, near the Oakland Airport. That course also has a turf driving range that the team uses. I don't know how often the team actually plays the course.  

When the Cal golf team hosts the Pac-!2 tournament, they usually play it at Orinda CC (or at least they have played it there in the past).

DT

David, I think the last time the conference tournament was at Orinda was 1989.  I think it would play more than a bit short these days.  Cal's tournament has been held at Meadow Club.  The team plays at a few courses in the area, mainly the privates.  No doubt their golf facilities trail other major programs.  Their success has been in spite of their facilities.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2012, 07:43:21 PM »
Bob nice shot. Congrats to Michael Weaver and Steven Fox. May they have a great match Sunday.  I am especially thankful to Mssr. Weaver who dusted off the Gump and sent him home with nothing in his hand to be proud of.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
Congrats to Cal... But I am disappointed that there is no Washington semifinal... Go Huskies!!!!!!!!!

Disappointing to see Williams bounced in the quarters. Some consolation that it was to one of the finalists in Fox.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
Given that college golf has become a series of medal play tournaments, I guess a home course isn't important as long as there is a decent practice facility.   In my couple of years of golf at UCSB, we only played a couple of medal play tournaments (conference championship 36 holes) and NCAA regional (18 holes).   Most of the season was head-to-head match play against another school, home and home.   Where you played your home matches, LaCumbre for us, was important, it was half your season.   UCLA and USC were lucky, Bel Air and LA North respectively. 

While it was a lot more fun 50 years ago, today's college golf is preparation for the PGA Tour. 

Go Bears tomorrow!

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
Cal hosts the Alister Mackenzie at the Meadow Club Oct 15-16. According to this link their main practice facility is Metropolitan Golf Links in Oakland but they have privileges at a lot of courses. http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-golf/spec-rel/021307aab.html.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 09:55:09 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2012, 11:07:08 PM »
The men's team is strong but the women's team is a lot better looking.  Some of us met them at Elie during Buda 2008.  Very attractive and strong players.   A couple of our lads bought pints to share with the young ladies, very enterprising fellows. 

Doug Wright

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2012, 11:30:01 PM »
Weaver was the best match player I saw  at Cherry Hills--the shot he hit on 17 on Thursday morning with the match all square (260  yard 4 iron to 15 feet on the island green)  was one of the best shots I've seen . Great to see 2  guys who had to advance in a playoff on Wednesday morning in the final--shows the depth of the field and the beauty of match play.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:52 PM »
It would seem there is no joy in Berkeley, as mighty Michael has struck out.
To bad David.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 12:10:06 AM »
That putt on the 36th almost made me sick. Heartbreaking.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 12:19:57 AM »
That putt on the 36th almost made me sick. Heartbreaking.

I actually yelled "yea!" when I thought it went in.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »
I guess someone should say congratulations to Fox and all Tenn Chat grads who are still up drinking Bogies moonshine from the stand on campus he hastily put up late Sunday afternoon. It was a great match and I do feel for Weaver who played great as well. The US Am is the greatest event in the world to me. I cannot believe I did not go but I cannot control my coughing and  was scared I would both the guys. It was a long drive from Denver to Lafayette knowing Cherry Hills was disappearing in the rear view mirror.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back