News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

hhuffines

Dormie Club?
« on: August 17, 2012, 10:03:52 PM »
Anyone played there this week?  I've called multiple times yesterday and today only to get an answering machine.  No reply yet... I hope this isn't a bad omen!

Mac Plumart

Re: Dormie Club?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:27:51 PM »
I don't know too much...other than a GCA'er friend of mine played their last week (maybe two weeks ago) and said it was in really bad shape.  Certainly not a good sign.  I wish the club/course well...it is a really good one.

Let me know if you get more scoop.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

hhuffines

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:35:13 PM »
Mac, will do... We've been nailed by heat, humidity, and thunderstorms lately.  Sure makes the clubs who have gone to Bermuda greens look smart!

Frank M

Re: Dormie Club? New
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 11:00:11 PM »
I've been trying to contact them for over two months and have not had anyone reply back. I guess you can chalk another one up for the not so good a sign.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 09:34:32 PM by Frank M »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 06:40:18 AM »
Everybody calm down.  It's not closing.  They are doing a little maintenance right now.  That is all I'm going to say.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

hhuffines

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 09:13:44 AM »
So Cory, what advice do you have to those who have tee times in the next 7 days with out of town guests?  I also need to cancel one for Friday.  As much as I enjoy the course, their business model and customer interactions suck!

hhuffines

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 12:37:23 PM »
FYI - the course is closed until Aug. 23rd.  Why not just be upfront and honest on the phone message instead of causing a guy to call back multiple times?

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 05:09:22 PM »
Why is it closed? Maintenance?

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 07:13:35 PM »
I was looking to go out there one day this week - will they be open Friday?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2012, 10:57:05 AM »
I played there in late June; it was 102 that day, and the course was in PERFECT shape tee to green.  I'm sure there has been some slippage during a very tough July, but I'd be surprised if the conditions had deteriorated in the last month to the point that they could be termed "bad" by normal late summer standards for bent grass greens in the South. 

However, the day we played there were 14 players on the tee sheet, and the parking lot attendant told us that there had been FOUR rounds played the day before, when the temperature was significantly lower.  We saw 3 other players the entire time we were on the property. 

I would wonder why they would be closed for "maintenance" unless they were regrassing the greens completely; they could do almost anything else necessary and remain open with the level of play the course is getting.

I don't know why they would be closed right now and won't pretend to, but I find it hard to imagine that they can sustain the operation with the amount of play that I observed. 
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2012, 11:03:32 AM »
There has not been a more fitting name since Dismal. The club does appear to be Dormie.

Craig Disher

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2012, 11:24:55 AM »
The course has been closed to allow for work on greens affected by the excessive heat. It will re-open on 8/23.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 02:06:43 PM »
Dormie is a good thing.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 02:15:31 PM »
Dormie is a good thing.

You must enjoy kissing your sister because when you are Dormie you can't win. There is not a course in the country on the can't lose side of the equation.

Craig Disher

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2012, 03:04:44 PM »
If I'm Dormie 1, I can't lose. Never heard it applied to the player behind.

(...unless it's in a championship and a winner is necessary - and in the case of a match with infinite holes, being dormie doesn't even apply. Halving a match isn't shameful  ;) Very exciting finish in the USAm).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 06:36:28 AM by Craig Disher »

Frank M

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2012, 03:28:27 PM »
I have been having trouble contacting anyone at Dormie. I had scheduled a tee time in May, which I had to cancel due to flight changes. Called three times and was unable to get a hold of anyone.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 09:34:15 PM by Frank M »

hhuffines

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2012, 06:47:07 PM »
Frank, I called 910-215-4587 and spoke to a nice guy yesterday.   I was using a different number before, hope it helps.  My home course in Raleigh closed for a week of rest earlier this month.   It could use another.  It's been tough around here this summer!

Ben Carey

« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2012, 01:12:16 AM »
Not sure about any of the details of what they're doing, but...

I walked 102 holes there (for my hundred hole hike participating) about a month ago and have to say that is was in excellent shape. I couldn't have asked for a better place to hang out from sunrise to sunset.

John Shimp

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2012, 07:49:29 AM »
Set aside specifics at Dormie, the courses closed in the heart of the summer with bent grass greens in nc are large in number.  How long will it take for these places to get on the ultradwarf wagon?

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »
Set aside specifics at Dormie, the courses closed in the heart of the summer with bent grass greens in nc are large in number.  How long will it take for these places to get on the ultradwarf wagon?

John,
This is not correct.  I've lived my whole life in NC and GA, and courses do NOT close in the summer, bent grass or no!

In the last few summers of extreme heat and drought, there have been some courses that have done weekday shotgun starts and then closed in the afternoons, and even a summer or two where some courses went to temporary greens.  But closed for a week or weeks?  I can't think of much of that at all, much less a large number. 

That's why I find it so odd that a course that gets virtually no play like the Dormie Club would have to close.  And I might add that the summer of 2012 has been hot, but certainly no worse than the last several and probably better, at least in terms of rainfall and night time temperatures.  I've played several courses with bent grass greens that are hanging in quite well.

As to the ultradwarf wagon, if the weather continues has it has been, in 15 more years there won't be anything but ultras in the SE.  Every course, public and private, will go that route when they have to redo their greens, change management, etc.  I've played two old courses in the Triangle area that have just reopened after shutting down for six weeks to put in Champion, and the results are just spectacular.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Craig Disher

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2012, 02:11:06 PM »
John,
This is not correct.  I've lived my whole life in NC and GA, and courses do NOT close in the summer, bent grass or no!

In the last few summers of extreme heat and drought, there have been some courses that have done weekday shotgun starts and then closed in the afternoons, and even a summer or two where some courses went to temporary greens.  But closed for a week or weeks?  I can't think of much of that at all, much less a large number. 

That's why I find it so odd that a course that gets virtually no play like the Dormie Club would have to close.  And I might add that the summer of 2012 has been hot, but certainly no worse than the last several and probably better, at least in terms of rainfall and night time temperatures.  I've played several courses with bent grass greens that are hanging in quite well.

AG - how did you discover that Dormie Club gets virtually no play? It could be that the owners are interested in presenting their club only with the best conditions possible.

Frank M

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 02:19:40 PM »
Three phone calls and three emails, no response.

Either way, I hope it is doing fine.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2024, 09:33:41 PM by Frank M »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
John,

AG - how did you discover that Dormie Club gets virtually no play? It could be that the owners are interested in presenting their club only with the best conditions possible.

Craig,
Already posted this, but here goes.  I played there on a Friday in June, and there were 14 players on the tee sheet for the day.  We saw three other golfers the entire time we were on the property.  The parking lot attendant told us that there had been FOUR rounds played there the previous day.

Granted, I'm extrapolating a bit.  But I feel reasonably comfortable in saying that the Dormie Club isn't getting a lot of play.

I have no reason to believe that the owners want to do anything other than present their club in the best possible way, and it isn't like they are losing a lot of play (based on what I saw) by being closed.  Still, it is more than odd; I don't know of another course, public or private, anywhere around that has closed like this.  I am willing to be corrected about that if others do know of such closings for reasons other than installing Champion or another ultradwarf.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 03:36:45 PM »
In post #17 Hart mentions that his club in Raleigh closed for a week of rest due to the weather. 

Anyone have any other reports of course closings in NC due to the summer weather.

Here in Georgia this summer has been much better for the courses than the previous two. 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
In post #17 Hart mentions that his club in Raleigh closed for a week of rest due to the weather. 

Anyone have any other reports of course closings in NC due to the summer weather.

Here in Georgia this summer has been much better for the courses than the previous two. 

Mark,
I live in GA as well, but I've been in NC in the Triangle area all but about 2 weeks since mid-May.  I haven't heard of anybody closing other than to regrass with bermuda, and I've played two heavily played public courses with bent grass greens in the last week.  In both cases, the greens were hanging in nicely.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back