News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Johnson

9-holers
« on: August 13, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »
Curious if anyone's played a 9-hole course BUT one with two vastly different sets of tees, thus producing two nines which have little in common amongst its tee shots. Enough difference that on the second go-round/nine, angles and yardages are completely different on each tee shot; perhaps even a par-3 is produced on the second nine from one of the first nine's par-4's, making a par-71 course for 18 holes.

Basically, two "different" sets of nines all packaged together into the smaller acreage of a 9-hole course.

Ken Fry

Re: 9-holers
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2012, 09:48:41 PM »
Jim,

Check out Signal Point Club in Niles, MI.  All but one par 3 tee shot have dramatically different angles and yardages.  The course was designed by Robert Bruce Harris in the late 1960's.  Not much has changed on the course in the last 40 years except the trees!

Ken

David Harshbarger

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 11:12:30 PM »
Here's the Dunes Club's photo tour:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49414.0.html

Can't say you can do better than this.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Tom ORourke

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »
For 20 years I was a member at Moorestown Field Club in NJ. It is a 9 hole course built in 1892. A visiting pro once told me that we have a 13 hole course. We have 10 greens so our 9th and 18th play through the same corridor but from different tees to different greens. There is a 440 yard par 4 that becomes a 500 yard par 5. There is a 465 yard par 5 (water in front) that becomes a 400 yard par4. Some of the par 4s change angles and yardage by up to 30 yards. We only have 55 acres, surrounded by expensive homes, so expansion is not possible. I think you could do a nice multiple green / tee course on around 70 acres. There are 5 nine hole courses in the Philadelphia Golf Association, two built in 1892. Not many being built now but it could be done.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 08:14:21 AM »
In two months time we are opening a course in Cordaba Argentina nine holes with lots of different angles and different tees. Holes one can be played as a par 5 of 626 yards and also a Par 4 of 440. The second hole is a sharp dog leg left par four, 347 from the back and other shorter tee that will make it drivable. There are also three tees to play the hole as a par three. Third holes is a par four but with different driving angles, some making it a straight hole and other making it a dogleg left. Fourth was a par par four and a par three but we ened up only doing the par three becasue the four just seemed to be forced. The fifth is a par four dogleg left again of 395 and the forward tees on this hole of 290 will make it drivable nasty par 4 that will probably produce higher scores than the 395 tees. The sixth is a dogleg right back tees 335 and two par three tees. Seventh a par five and the eighth par three. Hole number nine is both an excellent challenging long finishing par four of 470-450 or a solid three shot par five of 550. You can mix and match par from 33 to 37 for nine holes. I will do some kind of presentation in November when we officially open. Seventy five acres total.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 08:18:26 AM by Randy Thompson »

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 09:08:20 AM »
I just played a 9-holer on Sunday up here in Washington called Tam O' Shanter Golf Club.  It was Nine Holes with two different sets of tees.  There were 2 holes that had completely seperate greens to aim at. Every green had two flags in it, one set for the front nine, one set for the back nine.  Very quirky golf course with sloping greens if they are quick.  The course has about 4 holes on the side of a hill that has tons of elevation change. 

Charlie_Bell

Re: 9 Holers?
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »
No, but I've often wished to be able to recreate CB MacDonald's 9 hole practice course using 3 greens (Short, Eden, Redan) at different distances from a teeing ground about 40 yards long.  The teeing ground would contain three sets of tees 20 yards apart.  George included a diagram of it, the Eddie Moore practice course, on p. 202 The Evangelist of Golf.  It would require only 6 acres.  Apparently the NGLA used to have such a facility.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 02:43:13 PM by Charlie_Bell »

David Davis

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 05:20:00 PM »
I realize I may be crucified for saying this but at some point years ago I got this saying in my head, I can't remember if I read it, someone told me or I heard it from a comedian. 9 holes of golf is like sex without an orgasm...

Somehow it's actually semi tainted my outlook in that when traveling to play great courses I've never stopped to play a 9 holer and perhaps even worse, not far from my home are a couple supposed quite nice 9 holers one being a links gem. I've not really ever thought to myself, he I should go play those. I'm sure any of you will say it's a mistake, although I do have to say if the course was so varied as some that you mention then it actually might be very interesting if the architecture was good enough. Hell, I might even reconsider the saying in it's entirety.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 05:34:39 PM »
Beacon Rock at North Bonneville, WA.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Neil Davis

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 05:38:32 PM »
I've never played here, but have been in the pro shop and spoken to the pro.  They are proud of their Flynn heritage.  Looks interesting?

http://monroecountryclubny.com/Hole_By_Hole.html
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 05:48:49 PM by Neil Davis »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 06:47:05 PM »
Jim,

I own a 9 hole course just north of Inverness in the Scottish Highlands. I have quite big greens with two flags and two sets of tees. 5 of the holes change their par from one round to the next and those that stay the same play from a completely different angle. It plays 4000 yards from the front tees and 7100 from the back. I have been promising for a while to do a thread/guide of it but haven't had the time but hope to shortly.

David,

I have always liked playing 9 holers. Many of them are much quirkier than many of their 18 hole cousins. I would suggest that you wait till you only have maybe 2 hours spare time then you will an excuse to play 9 holes and not feel guilty ;)

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 07:55:24 PM »
I'm probably in the minority on this one, but I love 9 hole courses, and frankly I prefer courses that don't have alternate sets of tees.
Invariably, one tee makes for a much better hole   and I end up comparing the two tees.
I have no problem playing the best 9 holes twice,( or three times ;D)

That said, Quogue Field Club does a nice job of mixing tees for 2 somewhat unique 9's.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Johnson

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2012, 11:56:39 AM »
Jim,

I own a 9 hole course just north of Inverness in the Scottish Highlands. I have quite big greens with two flags and two sets of tees. 5 of the holes change their par from one round to the next and those that stay the same play from a completely different angle. It plays 4000 yards from the front tees and 7100 from the back. I have been promising for a while to do a thread/guide of it but haven't had the time but hope to shortly.

Jon, sounds interesting. Do you have a website we could look at?
Thanks.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
Jim,

Jon, sounds interesting. Do you have a website we could look at?
Thanks.

www.brahangolfclub.ch

Top right click on the union flag for english

Just seen the links that were at the base of my posts have disappeared. onder when and where they went ???

Jon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back