News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Dooks = WOW!!!
« on: August 09, 2012, 04:31:01 AM »
I played Dooks yesterday and was blown away! What a great course. It offers the whole package... fantastic greens, stunning views, sufficient challenge, and a glorious walk.

This course should be a MUST PLAY for anyone visiting the southwest of Ireland.   WOW!!!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

Re: Dooks = WOW!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:07:32 AM »
Mike, I was home last weekend for 4 days - shame I didn't know you were in Kerry! Yes, Dooks is a fantastic place - a course I would definitely put down as a must play in the area.

Brian - I'll be at the Holiday Inn near Gloucester Road tube station Sept 9-22. Let's get together for golf and/or dinner.

Call me:  0750 360 2720
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 05:09:28 AM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike Policano

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:24:10 AM »
Whit,

Dooks is one of my favorite under the radar courses. It is a blast to play as you now know. I was there a couple of years ago with my wife. When we walked into the pro shop, there was a husband wife special rate.  I told the woman behind the counter that my wife couldn't make it. I asked if my girlfriend and I could have the same rate. My wife smacked me and the women behind the counter said, "obviously she is your wife". 

Cheers, Mike

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:28 AM »
Wow!!! I played it years ago and thought it was an overrated Dog. Countn't understand why we even stopped there.

Please enlighten me, what did you find so WOW about it?
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:14:48 AM »
Wow!!! I played it years ago and thought it was an overrated Dog. Countn't understand why we even stopped there.

Seriously?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »

Cary if memory serves me right you've done this hit and run before. If you played Dook's prior to 2006 you basically played a different course. From the Club website

“In 2002, the committee felt that the layout of Dooks' course needed to be upgraded and renowned architect Martin Hawtree was asked to "have a look" and come up with suggestions.  This resulted in a complete overhaul and the revamped Dooks was opened in 2006. “

It's my understanding that the same corridors of play were broadly retained (it's a pretty tight site after all) but that all the greens were redone, and some new par 3's created.    Collectively the greens are a now great set and the best work I’ve seen by Hawtree.

Bang for Buck it knocks spots off Waterville and Tralee and it deserves to be thought of in that company (for non flatbelly distance hitters.). I recently returned and remembered why I was so impressed even if a second play highlighted how awkward some of the transitions are.  Great Club, great course and great views. What’s not to like?  Wow!!!
Let's make GCA grate again!

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 05:15:44 PM »
How could you not like a course that looks like this????????

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 05:20:03 PM »
Aidan,I almost want to discount any evidence your photos provide because I'm convinced you could make a local muni look like a Doak 10.As usual,great pictures.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »
Having played the course many times over the years I can tell you that my images do not do the course justice and from a golfers perspective, it is all the challenge you want. Hot or cold sandwiches, a bowl of soup and a pint after the round in the bar is a great way to finish of the day. If you are in the area, do not miss a round at Dooks.

Brent Carlson

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 07:28:50 PM »
One of the most beautiful places on earth!  And, as has been discussed - the peninsula to the north is unbelievable golfing land.  One can dream...
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:08:55 PM by Brent Carlson »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 08:55:29 PM »

Cary,

Thanks for motivating Aiden to post a response. Can't wait for your reply :)

Aiden,

I don't think RCD is much of a course.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:53 PM »
One of my favorite places in all of golf.
Tim Weiman

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:36:45 PM »

Cary,

Thanks for motivating Aiden to post a response. Can't wait for your reply :)

Aiden,

I don't think RCD is much of a course.

I was underwhelmed by Lahinch.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Doug Wright

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 10:47:38 PM »
One of my favorite places in all of golf.

I agree. One of my favorite hidden gems, almost 20 years later. Quirk (Michael is that weird par 3 green on he back 9 still there?) and fun. Not a "championship" course with great hole after great hole but not necessary. 
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:22:21 AM »
Dooks is a magical place.  I hope they have not messed with that, in the process of making the course "better".  [I have not been there for 10-12 years.]

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2012, 02:58:04 AM »
Time for a few more thoughts...

Dooks has a great set of greens. Each one has something special to offer.
The routing and resulting walk was a thing of joy. Definitely a pleasure.

A couple of negatives:
1) All the par 3s played the same distance. I know we could have moved up a tee to make them varied, but the "normal" setup requires basically the same club on each hole.
2) The closing holes (15-18) play over farmland type ground, not links land. As a result the turf is softer, with much less drainage. Due to the high volume of rain this summer those holes played more like an American parkland course... there was even standing water in the fairways!

Dooks is definitely "magical," Tom. No worries there.

Doug... not sure what constitutes "championship" to you, but we had a couple of solid 3 handicap players in our group and Dooks gave them all they could handle. Their best score was 78. It's not a long course... maybe that's what you mean by "not championship."

David Davis

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2012, 09:11:12 AM »
Great photos, I'd like to know how long you camped out there to catch the sun breaking through like that or is this pure photoshop expertise?

Played Dooks about 7 years ago. It was the first course I ever played in Ireland, I'd never heard of it, a colleague had arranged the trip with clients. It was also my first golf trip I ever went on and the first time I'd played outside of The Netherlands. Hard wind and hard rain mixed with a few dry moments that increased my amazement, the rest of the guys pretty much gave up golf after that trip it had the opposite effect on me.

It helped inspire my golfing life. Talk about coincidence, yesterday I played with a lifetime member of the club who lives here in The Netherlands. Must be a hidden message in here somewhere.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:59 AM »
"Great photos, I'd like to know how long you camped out there to catch the sun breaking through like that or is this pure photoshop expertise?"

Patience and good fortune David. I have yet to find a "sun filter" in Photoshop :)

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
The weather is not always perfect at Dook's. Somedays it looks like this...........

David Davis

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
Brian,

When it sunshines on God's country the camera's go on autopilot.

I'm about to post a photo tour of a great course and I've mastered the art of mediocre photography so I can attest that it's possible to muck anything up.

Aidan,

No certainly no sunshine filter but you could be simply cutting and filling with Spain or Greece sky ha ha...you want us to believe it sunshines all the time in Ireland don't you?
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 11:01:45 AM »
Brian,

There are no secrets. A combination of sun and interesting clouds is always preferable.

David,

The sun doesn't shine all the time in Ireland. Only when I take pictures :)

A.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 11:09:19 AM »
David,

Of course I could cut and paste skies from sunny countries but how could I paint sun on the wet and soggy fairways and greens. I have been accused of all sorts of voodoo on this site over the years when it comes to my Irish golf imagery. The bottom line is, I only lift a camera when the sun shines.

A.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 11:10:00 AM »
My trip to Dooks was 2005. Dooks was the Nannerjack Toad, right?
If my memeory is correct, the 2005 course, some members had designed a hole or 2 on the back nine. But, if the course was touched up in 2006, probably a moot point anyway.
Nonetheless, I enjoyed it.

Aidan Bradley

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 11:15:24 AM »
Natterjack Toads

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
Aidan - You could make the finalists in the womne's shot put look hot!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back