News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Re: PSA - Golf's Grand Design on PBS
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2012, 12:13:39 PM »
2:00 a.m. Saturday in Nashvegas.  A affirmation of how big a group of nerds we are.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JMEvensky

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »

Just got an e-mail from WHYY (Philadelphia PBS).  They're not going to air the show (ever), but said it can be purchased  for $20 at http://www.shoppbs.org/product/index.jsp?productId=13050028

Maybe the mayor was afraid of rioting if the show misattributes some course's design.

Imagine how many riot cops they'd need if TEP stormed the TV station.

JM - you're forgetting the possibility that someone -- I'm not saying who, but he'd have to be a very well-established and well-connected someone -- didn't like the show (and/or its design attributions) and so has ensured (I'm not saying how/by what means) that it would never been seen in Phliadelphia! I'm just saying....

Peter,are you implying that our mutual friend,wink wink,has that kind of stroke,nod nod?

Wouldn't surprise me if all the dvd copies have suddenly disappeared too.

Eric Smith

« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2012, 12:25:05 PM »
2:00 a.m. Saturday in Nashvegas.  A affirmation of how big a group of nerds we are.

Road trip to Cookeville?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2012, 01:58:31 PM »
UNC-TV's printed schedule shows it's going to be on tonight, Friday, at 10:00.  There a number of UNC-TV outlets in the state (North Carolina).  What I do not know is whether they broadcast uniformly with the master listings.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2012, 11:38:15 PM »
I just finished watching this and I was *very* impressed with the production.  I kept it on my DVR so I want to watch it again before commenting further but congratulations to all involved. 

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2012, 07:49:10 AM »
Would anybody with a DVR be interested in burning it to a DVD?   I'll pay for the DVD (I really don't want to give PBS any money because they chose not to air it (ever) in the city that's hosting the next US Open).

Anthony Butler

« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2012, 09:07:01 AM »
Would anybody with a DVR be interested in burning it to a DVD?   I'll pay for the DVD (I really don't want to give PBS any money because they chose not to air it (ever) in the city that's hosting the next US Open).
Aired in Boston last night at 10pm... and to think I wasted 4 years on this site when I could have simply watched an hour of TV...  ;)
Next!

Chris Shaida

« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2012, 09:08:04 AM »

It makes perfect sense to me to want to not reward bad behavior...but in this case it is your local affiliate that's behaving badly and choosing not to air something produced by PBS (separate entity).  The $20 would go to PBS (which did, afterall, MAKE the thing) not to your local nitwits...

Eric Smith

« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2012, 09:15:16 AM »
I stayed up late last night and watched the 2am airing. Glad I did too, a nicely done expose on a subject near and dear to all of us. I liked listening to Alice Dye.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2012, 09:21:51 AM »
Alice is so young, she looks like Pete's daughter...

Second Posting of this: I think they did WAY more than I expected. I was thrilled to see the airtime that a bunch of our favorites got. Bob Cupp was my biggest surprise. I had heard that Leatherstocking said, in no uncertain terms, that he was NOT TO TOUCH their greens when they had him in to do some work. I couldn't equate that tale with the message that Cupp was offering last night.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David Harshbarger

« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2012, 10:00:23 AM »
A fine production of Buffalo PBS affiliate WNED.  And yes, this is nerdsville.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2012, 10:05:54 AM »
I was amazed to see that it was done by WNED...I thought that I was hallucinating!!!
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David Royer

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2012, 07:06:09 AM »
I thought it was well done and great primer. I thought walking folks through the timeline was well done and well paced for the average viewer. I was pleasantly surprised by the frank discussion on residential golf.  Ron Whitten and Bob Cupp did a nice job serving as guides through the piece. I wish TD and Bill Coore were given more air time to discuss how their perception of the land forms  is the basis of their art.  I think overall the producers were able to convey the message that golf architects create period pieces that are masterpieces over the ages.

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2012, 08:46:12 AM »
I concur that it was well done.  My main 'beef' would be that yes, they brought up residential golf's effect on golf's construction activity and often the use of the best land for the real estate, but didn't mention it's detrimental effect on the walking aspect of the game (and the rise of the use of carts).

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2012, 08:47:55 AM »
As of today, it does not seem to be scheduled on WHYY in the Philly market for at least two more weeks.
??????

Ray  a junior member??  Thats not right.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »

Sorry Dan, but I'm sure you know that PBS didn't make that decision.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Blake

« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2012, 12:30:20 PM »
For those of us in the Philly area who get the Trenton station WNJT, the show is on tonight at 8pm.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2012, 01:13:28 PM »
The worst PBS station in the USA, WHYY (Philly), won't be showing it.
To somewhat paraphrase Spinal Tap, "it's alright, Philly's not a big golf architecture town"

Bill Brightly

« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2012, 04:19:06 PM »
I thought the show was very well done and highly entertaining.

I missed this thread but in an amazing coincidence, Michael Taylor from Sydney is staying with me for a few days on his 3-week trip to the States. Last night I happened to throw him the remote control and said: "you find something to watch." He found this show 5 minutes before it aired and we loved it! (My wife watched it was well and said: "that was very interesting, now I understand some of the things you have been blabbering about for the past five years!")

When the show was over, I gave Michael the remote agian and said: "nice job, now find something else that good!" :)  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 04:22:04 PM by Bill Brightly »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
I got it from New Jersey last night - recorded it off the air so I'd have it in high def.  I loved the show and thought its photography and coverage was very well done.

I would have preferred to see even a mention of Flynn and the "Philadelphia School", as well as other clusters of great GCA.

Also thought coverage of the residential impact was needed but garnered too much air time.

Thanks again for the heads-up on the showing on NJN!

Scott Weersing

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2016, 10:37:23 PM »
It is 2016 and it is time to replace the old DVR.

So I watched the copy of the documentary, Golf's Grand Design and it captures a fair history of golf course design. I really liked that it had Bob Cupp in it because he passed away this year. It was great to see footage of Streamsong's two courses being built. And of course, I liked the interview with Dick Youngscap about Sand Hills.

I guess it is time to buy a DVD to add to shelf.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back