News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

What Is The Toughest Walk Designed By...
« on: July 31, 2012, 11:20:26 AM »
Donald J. Ross
Albert W. Tillinghast
William Flynn
Seth Raynor
Harry Colt
Perry Maxwell
Stanley Thompson
William Langford
Other Old Dead Guy of Your Choice

Just to name a few.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

JNC Lyon

Re: What Is The Toughest Walk Designed By...
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 11:21:36 AM »
Seth Raynor? Yale.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 11:22:28 AM »
I'll open with Langford's Gatlinburg Country Club (now Municipal) and Ross' Grove Park Inn.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »
Michael:

A great question.  I will have to go back to the books to think about this a little bit.

Off the top of my head, MacKenzie's would be either Pasatiempo or Augusta National, although a couple of his early courses around Leeds would also contend -- Halifax and Reddish Vale.

For Stanley Thompson, Capilano is a pretty neat walking solution to a very steep site, although it's not an easy walk, and Cape Breton Highlands is in a category of its own.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »
Have not played there, but I wouldn't think Banff Springs (Thompson) would be an especially easy walk.

JMEvensky

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »
Perry Maxwell--Southern Hills (in August).

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 11:35:13 AM »
Didn't we walk Lookout Mountain together? Not going to walk French Lick.

Joey Chase

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 11:36:31 AM »
For Tilly, Bethpage Black?

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 11:37:24 AM »
Also, not a very tough walk, but Ross's Broadmoor may be among the toughest walks of any course he designed.

Scott Szabo

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 11:38:13 AM »
I would have said Augusta National for MacKenzie as well.
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

David Stewart

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 12:22:34 PM »
Also, not a very tough walk, but Ross's Broadmoor may be among the toughest walks of any course he designed.

Are we talking about the Colorado Spring Broadmoor or the Indianapolis Broadmoor? I haven't played the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, but the one in Indianapolis is a very easy walk.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »
Donald Ross: Charles River CC and George Wright GC

***DISCLAIMER***
Note that both of these courses are routed beautifully on wild terrain.  It just beats you up to walk them!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 03:32:25 PM »

***DISCLAIMER***
Note that both of these courses are routed beautifully on wild terrain.  It just beats you up to walk them!

Mark
Wow.  Those are the two Ross courses I have played and neither struck me as a tough walk.  Both seemed like great use of terrain but I really didn't note anything about the walk.  Maybe I was just enjoying two great courses too much?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Chris Clouser

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 03:35:31 PM »
JM,

If you want to include the heat, I can think of several Maxwell courses that would be rough to walk in Oklahoma and Texas.  But if you take the heat out of the consideration I would be hard pressed to think of any of his layouts that were hard to walk. 

Doug Wright

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »

Are we talking about the Colorado Spring Broadmoor or the Indianapolis Broadmoor? I haven't played the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs, but the one in Indianapolis is a very easy walk.

Colorado Springs. However, the Ross part of what are now 9 holes each of the East and West courses is not that tough of a walk. When you cross the road to the RTJ part of those courses the terrain is much more severe. 
Twitter: @Deneuchre

JMEvensky

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2012, 03:47:37 PM »
JM,

If you want to include the heat, I can think of several Maxwell courses that would be rough to walk in Oklahoma and Texas.  But if you take the heat out of the consideration I would be hard pressed to think of any of his layouts that were hard to walk. 

I agree--my answer was more about the heat in Tulsa the day I played than about PM's design. I just remember walking off the first tee at SH and realizing that,at some point,there was going to be a walk up a hill just as steep--and the temperature was going to be higher.

Tim Martin

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2012, 03:49:23 PM »
CC of Troy has to be up there for Travis.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2012, 03:54:07 PM »
Have not played there, but I wouldn't think Banff Springs (Thompson) would be an especially easy walk.
Very easy walk. Only one uphill after the Devil's Cauldron

Dan Moore

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2012, 03:56:10 PM »
Langford-Wakonda CC

I haven't played Gatlinburg, Michael have you played Wakonda? 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mike Benham

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 06:41:08 PM »

Ross = Peninsula G&CC
"... and I liked the guy ..."

JLahrman

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2012, 07:09:31 PM »
Seth Raynor? Yale.

How hard is it compared to Camargo? Greens and tees are in close proximity at Camargo, but there are quite a few hills to hoof (#2, #3, #6, #9, #12, #14, #18)

Tim Bert

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2012, 08:11:43 PM »

It is not nearly as difficult as you'd expect given the setting.  It doesn't feel like a mountain course when you are walking. More like a course surrounded by mountains. The only issue, which is a pretty big one, is the walk from 14 green to 15 tee but that isn't based on being in the mountains. I believe the course used to be routed from the current 15th to the current 14th so that walk between holes wouldn't have presented the same mid-round issue.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2012, 08:23:34 PM »

***DISCLAIMER***

Mark
Charles River?  I thought the walk was pleasant- I carried my bag and didn't think it a challenge. White Bear Yacht was a stern walk with the hilliness but very doable.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2012, 12:06:53 PM »
The Asheville, North Carolina Muni (a modest Ross) back nine is a mountain goat hike.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2012, 12:10:26 PM »
Highlands links is supposed to be a tough walk. Never been though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back