News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

The Ocean Course ready for the PGA (a B&W portrayal)
« on: July 30, 2012, 11:36:32 PM »
So recently I have gotten in the habit of shooting some of the numerous pictures that I take at most courses in black and white mode on my digital camera.  I know you can edit color ones into B&W on your computer, but they don't seem to be quite as dramatic as when I shoot them in B&W mode.  Anyway I love how on some shots it seems to make the contours pop a little more, and also some of the clouds and skies above look more dramatic.  I have thought about starting to do some threads with B&W series of pictures of the course.  I welcome your feedback if this drives everyone crazy tell me and I won't do any more, or if you like me (at least for the moment) like the look I will keep them coming.

With that explanation and background, here is my pictorial series in B&W from a couple weeks ago on The Ocean Course...

The green-site at the Par 4 3rd hole.

2nd shot on the Par 4 4th.  This is the view if you drive is in the left rough as mine was.  The dead tree is not as in play as I made it look in this picture.

Greenside bunker at Par 3 5th.

Aproach to the Par 5 7th.  I love how all those trees are sculpted by the seaside winds.  Also note the crane in the background putting up the merchandise tent near the entry road in distance.

Greenside at the Par 3 8th

Behind the green at the Par 4 10th.  The grandstands in the right hand side of the picture are surrounding the 17th green.

Par 5 11th from about 60 yds short of the green in the left rough.  

Approach to the Par 4 13th

Tee box on the par 3 14th.  This is the furtherest point on the back nine where you turn and head back along the coast towards the clubhouse.  From here on in you play into the prevailing wind (I believe) with the ocean on your right primarily.  This elevated tee is probably the highest point on the course and at 238yds from this back portion where I am to the elevated green will be a heck of a challenge depending on the winds and whether they choose to play it back here.  The view back up the coast from this tee is dramatic.

Approach to the par 4 15th.  The cloud that was popping up directly behind the green was very dramatic in person.

The famous Par 3 17th from the 1991 Ryder Cup.  Another beast of a hole if playing into the prevailing wind.

Par 4 18th.  If you lay it back a bit and don't challenge the fairway bunkers right off the tee this is roughly your view.

A little closer view of the approach to the 18 if you force your drive up the fairway a little further.

Flag on the 18th with the large flagpoles behind the green.

My caddy helping to read my long 1st putt.  (I apparently didn't help because I didn't get it nearly far enough from all the way back there)

By now is everyone sick of the B&W version if so just tell me and I won't subject you to any more of these in the future.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 11:45:19 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

PCCraig

Re: The Ocean Course ready for the PGA (a B&W portrayal)
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 09:32:22 AM »
Nice photos, thanks for posting. The new tee on 14 makes for an awesome view over the entire back nine. When I played it last fall I tried one ball from back there and it took a pretty hard 3-wood to get it just short of the green. It would be a very tough hole from back there even for the big guys next week, but I hope they use it at least one of the days.
H.P.S.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 09:37:55 AM »
Love the photos, the very first picture has gorgeous shading.

One minor quibble with the narrative. The normal sea breeze is actually behind and slightly from the right on the last five holes, from the Southwest. The exact angle varies slightly on a fairly predictable diurnal cycle during the summer when atmospheric conditions are stable.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:51:23 AM »
Real nice photos.

Imposing double-decker stadium seating behind 17. But you get what you pay for -- even with an expense account...

Champions Club includes full catering and open bar:
*    10 guests for 4 days - $25,000
*    10 guests for 1 day - $6,500
*    1 guest for 4 days - $2,700
*    1 guest for 1 day - $700

https://ems.pgalinks.com/ticketing/index.cfm?sale_id=91
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 02:21:54 PM »
Love the photos, the very first picture has gorgeous shading.

One minor quibble with the narrative. The normal sea breeze is actually behind and slightly from the right on the last five holes, from the Southwest. The exact angle varies slightly on a fairly predictable diurnal cycle during the summer when atmospheric conditions are stable.

That was why I said "I think" because I wasn't sure.  Thanks for the clarification.  I know I have played there 4-5 times and it seems like more often than not I have turned into the wind on 14-18, but that probably isn't a scientific sampling.

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Brent Hutto

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »
When I was down there at Christmas in 2005 (or was it 2004?) it rained and was quite breezy the first day, I had that opposite wind and the final hole were pretty darned tough. The next day there was very little breeze at all but what was there had nominally switched to the usual direction.

Then I was there again in the spring 2-3 years ago with Sean Arble and Remy. Again we had the "opposite" wind although not blowing all that hard by Ocean Course standards. Doesn't take much for me!

A few weeks ago I think I finally got the "normal" wind. In the morning round it was pretty much straight down on 14-18 and I got to experience the intended direction around which the course was presumably designed. In the afternoon it was coming more from the water and not straight upwind/downwind but the caddies said that was the supposed "prevailing" direction.

So like you, I have mostly seen the "opposite" rather than the "normal". I think the course plays a tiny fraction easier with the "normal". Of course early in the round the routing moves in various directions and it is not straight out-and-back by any means.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2012, 02:43:49 PM »
Turboe:

Great pictures; thanks for posting.  In these pictures, the 17th doesn't even look that out of place, given the picture you've posted of 13.

Favorite stretch of holes?  The first four holes are very high on my list of best opening stretch . . .  
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 04:17:35 PM by Carl Nichols »

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »
Turboe:

Great pictures; thanks for posting.  In these pictures, the 17th doesn't even look that out of place, given the picture you've posted on 13.

Favorite stretch of holes?  The first four holes are very high on my list of best opening stretch . . .  

Hard to pin down because the whole course is so good, but I do love 1-5 as a starting stretch of holes.  On the back its hard to say, because I love 10-13 they are very good and also memorable on their own, but then you have the stretch run from 14 on in right by the ocean closing out the round (or tournament) given all the memories from the Ryder Cup and also the World Cup that I attended out there years ago that are hard to beat also.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 04:20:35 PM »
Turbo,

Great pictures, as much as I love the second nine those first few opening holes are amazing and among my favorite starts in golf!

MP

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 10:32:14 PM »
Well I think I have secured one day down there for the PGA now.  I was originally going to stay on Kiawah all week at a friends house, but I have 4 ladies in my house and the reason that isn't going to happen is way to long to go into here.  So I went from being there all week to not knowing if I was going to see it at all.  Now it looks like I am going to do a one day "drive-by" attendance on Friday!!!   

Woo Hoo!!!

Mike Vegis @ Kiawah

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 09:00:41 AM »
One small correction.  The shape of the trees isn't due to the wind because the prevailing wind shifts from season to season (Kiawah lies east to west so our beach faces south and The Ocean Course sits about 6 miles out in the Atlantic).  The shape of the trees is due to salt spray.  The spray acts as a growth retardant on the southern side of the trees for the northern side (leeward) grows fuller...

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 09:28:59 AM »
So can you set the record straight on the prevailing wind? Is out of the southwest a summer thing?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back