News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wade Whitehead

Oakhurst Links sold
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:19:45 PM »
An American golf course built in 1884 sells for just over $400,000.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/07/28/sports/golf/ap-glf-old-course-auction.html?_r=1&hp

WW
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:24:36 PM by Wade Whitehead »

David Harshbarger

Re: Oakhurst Links sold
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 05:33:40 PM »
Would have done better in T-Bills
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Nigel Islam

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 07:27:42 PM »
So is this course currently operational? 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:09 PM »
Too bad the USGA so desperately needs to keep all their war chest in securities and bonds, that they can't afford $500,000 to own a piece of golf history.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:18:45 PM »
Too bad the USGA so desperately needs to keep all their war chest in securities and bonds, that they can't afford $500,000 to own a piece of golf history.

They are saving up so they can buy every long putter on the market so they don't have to actually ban them. ;D

Ken Fry

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 05:24:48 PM »
This is a travesty.  No interest by Jim Justice??

Ken

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 09:51:04 AM »

My understanding is that they've invested significant dollars in earth-moving equipment for Mike Davis' course set-up program.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »
Sad to hear, I hope the new guy keeps the same level of passion for this piece of history.  I am as guilty as the next person in this situation though.  I have always said I wanted to go play there, and i have never done it.  I need to take the time on one of my Pittsburgh trips to make the side trip to Oakhurst.

Good luck to the new owner, and I hope it keeps going!
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Greg Tallman

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2012, 01:47:35 PM »
Perhaps the "Wheeling businessman" is a certain former USGA president. One can only hope.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2012, 01:49:40 PM »
Beyond surprised Jusitce did not grab it. Greenbrier tie in seemed like a no brainer. Disappointed in his lack of vision on this one.

He can buy a marginal at best resort property in VA (Wintergreen) yet does not see the benefits of Oakhurst as part of the Greenbrier? Gracious.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »
Yeah.  Mr. Justice could have renamed it the TPC Mountain Course @ Oakhurst Links Resort.

WW

Ken Fry

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »

Sad to hear, I hope the new guy keeps the same level of passion for this piece of history.  I am as guilty as the next person in this situation though.  I have always said I wanted to go play there, and i have never done it.  I need to take the time on one of my Pittsburgh trips to make the side trip to Oakhurst.

Good luck to the new owner, and I hope it keeps going!

Daryl,

Make it a point to stop in.  The experience of the place is phenomenal.  There seems to be a tangible aura to the property.

Even back when the Kellers embarked on restoring the original golf course I questioned why the Greenbrier never got involved.  It seemed like such a natural fit given the lengthy historical significance of both facilities.

Ken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back