News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Tallman

Re: 100th.err.. 101st PGA...where should it be held? V2.0
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »
How about thinking out of the box a little and having it at Kapalua.

As AMERICA encompasses more than the USA how about Tom's idea of match play and play it over multiple courses here in Cabo. One semi at Diamante and one at CDS Ocean.

How's that for out of the box?

So how come none of its sections are outside the US? Are you perhaps using the wrong interpretation of AMERICA?

Interpretation? America is what it is for lack of a better cliché.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 03:05:09 PM »
If we're dreaming, then I'd love to see the pros have a match play major at:

Pine Valley
Cypress Point
Sand Hills
Old Mac

Alex Miller

Re: 100th PGA...where should it be held?
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 06:03:51 PM »
Where should the 100th playing of this major be held in 2018? I'm going to say something on the West Coast Like Riv or Sahalee, have not been on the Left coast since 1998.  Maybe Pumpkin Ridge, Chambers Bay or even Torrey Pines.

A PGA Championship at Torrey Pines, this site would implode.

Why? That is just par for the course with the PGA. They constantly choose the least interesting/weakest courses compared to the other majors.

Yeah, The Ocean Course is a real dog.

This comment brought to you by Snark Central.
 :P

Snark Central reporting in: I was not a huge fan of Congressional as a U.S. Open host last year (I'm being polite), but please Garland, tell me where I'm inaccurate? I think most on here would agree that ANGC, The U.S. Open venues, and The Open venues are all superior on average.

Brian Colbert

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 06:15:29 PM »
Some courses I'd love to see one at:

Aronimink
Victoria National (Not enough spectator room)
Plainfield
The Harvester (Infrastructure issues)
Sea Island Seaside (too easy though)
Butler National (tough for obvious reasons)
Galloway National

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2012, 12:29:54 AM »
Some courses I'd love to see one at:

Aronimink
Victoria National (Not enough spectator room)
Plainfield
The Harvester (Infrastructure issues)
Sea Island Seaside (too easy though)
Butler National (tough for obvious reasons)
Galloway National

I'll go out on a limb and say Aronimink gets a PGA within the next 3 announced.

I was supposed to play Victoria yesterday but had to work. Will make it there soon enough and report back on space availibility.

Will Lozier

« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2012, 02:10:45 AM »
In the spirit of Tom's suggestion of match play, the mention that fall on the West Coast would be a great break from the typical PGA humidity, and Matt's suggestion of Cypress Point (MY absolute favorite course in the world), why not do a "Pebble Beach/Cypress Point Second Century of the PGA Special Match Play Championship"!  Such a tacky title I've given it but wouldn't it be outrageous!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2012, 08:05:30 PM »
Every five years or so, especially with the no-q-school new scheduling, they should do a PGA-National type thing from (was it 1973?) and play it in February or March, in the south.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

Re: 100th PGA...where should it be held?
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 12:13:38 AM »
Where should the 100th playing of this major be held in 2018? I'm going to say something on the West Coast Like Riv or Sahalee, have not been on the Left coast since 1998.  Maybe Pumpkin Ridge, Chambers Bay or even Torrey Pines.

A PGA Championship at Torrey Pines, this site would implode.

Why? That is just par for the course with the PGA. They constantly choose the least interesting/weakest courses compared to the other majors.

Yeah, The Ocean Course is a real dog.

This comment brought to you by Snark Central.
 :P

Snark Central reporting in: I was not a huge fan of Congressional as a U.S. Open host last year (I'm being polite), but please Garland, tell me where I'm inaccurate? I think most on here would agree that ANGC, The U.S. Open venues, and The Open venues are all superior on average.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David Whitmer

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 08:21:30 AM »
Count me as one who likes the PGA Championship and kinda likes the different courses they take it to. It's not the US Open or The Open Championship, but the PGA of America knows that and doesn't try to be something they are not. I like how they have the stones to admit their championship is slightly different for a major, but a major nonetheless.

In my opinion a venue does not a major make. I think we can all agree Atlanta Athletic Club is not the country's, state's, or even city's best layout. But, it has produced two very exciting PGA Championships in the last 11 years. I guarantee you no one who plays professional golf has concluded that David Toms's or Keegan Bradley's wins were tainted because of the venue. Valhalla produced one of the all-time most exciting tournaments when Woods beat Bob May.

My point is, just because the PGA of America sometimes goes to "lesser" courses, the championship's status doesn't go down. Plus, the championship has gone to some pretty good courses (in the last 10 years it has gone to Oak Hill; Whistling Straits, which the USGA wanted to use before the PGA aligned itself first; Baltusrol; Medinah; Southern Hills; Oakland Hills; and Hazeltine). That's a very decent lineup.

Sure, I wish it would go to some of the courses already mentioned, but in most instances we all know it's not going to happen. LACC, Sand Hills, Pine Valley, CPC...it's just not going to ever be reality. Same with going back to match play. I love the idea as well, but it will never happen again, as television will never allow it. Instead of sitting here wishing the PGA Championship was something different, I like it for what it is.

It's like my favorite quote from Coach Norman Dale: "I would hope you would support who we are, not who we are not."

To answer the question, and this is coming from a midwesterner, I think it should go back to the west coast, as it's been too long. Riviera, Colorado GC, Pumpkin Ridge...something like that.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 02:19:56 PM »
I'd love to see a PGA come west as well.

LACC North, Spyglass Hill, MPCC all would be great options in my opinion.

Colorado GC had the senior PGA a couple years ago and will host the Solheim Cup next year. If their financial situation is stable and the course performs well, it's an option I suppose. Might make for a better Ryder Cup venue, though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back