News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Re: Mission Accomplished: 1000 Golf Courses
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 02:00:12 PM »
Congrats on #1000 Cory!

Hope to see you up in Minnesota soon.
H.P.S.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 02:04:07 PM »
Well done Cory...as a stat guy, I appreciate the summary.

We will have to change me from the 88 to the 74 list sometime soon..can't wait to talk in your backswing...

I (will) have you beat in only one category...states and countries.  I will be playing golf on Saturday in state #40 for me, Virginia...still have Alaska, Arkansas, Iowa, Kentucky, Minnesota, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Tennessee to go.  I also have played in 6 countries other than the US...Barbados, Canada, Curacao, Germany, Ireland, Scotland.  I have only played one round in three of those.

I'm sure you will fly past these in the next 20 minutes...!

If Señor Topp can be a bit more convincing you should add a country this coming January.

Now you have me trying to count how many courses I have played... damn you Cory.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 02:17:26 PM by Greg Tallman »

David Bartman

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 02:58:38 PM »
Congrats, that is an impressive accomplishment that took a great deal of dedication for years and years!!

Your thread will now require me to think about how many different courses I have played.  Do you think you missed any before you started to diligently keep track? 
Still need to play Pine Valley!!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »
I've enjoyed playing with Cory a couple of time in the last year or so....either before or after he was coming from or off to his next GC that day!
I also offer my congratulations....I am 2 decades his senior, and 200 courses behind, so I can attest to the difficulty of this feat....closing in on #800 in the next month or two, and have long range plans for 1,000 myself, assuming nothing breaks down...elbow, back, plane engine, finances, writing career, etc.

But--despite how disengenuous it might seem in comparison to Cory's recent achievement, I will still clutch onto the domain name www.vagabondgolfer.com

ward peyronnin

« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2012, 03:49:48 PM »
WELL PLAYED CORY!!!!

I offer the next goal for you might be speed golf.

However the standard i know of is also impressive...a score or 114 some dude  pounded out at Pumpkin Ridge.. 48 minutes and 66 strokes.

You go boy

Wardo
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2012, 04:01:09 PM »
Not so bad myself at 13 countries and 195 courses, holding down a full-time job unrelated to golf.

But can anyone beat this number: 164 courses written up, photographed and ranked :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Matt Bosela

« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2012, 04:13:00 PM »
Congratulations Cory on this incredible accomplishment - I thought I was lucky but you've certainly put me in my place - 39 years old and only 124 courses seen! :)

I'm lucky to be among the 74 GCA'ers you've teed it up with and I look forward to getting a full 18 in sometime in the next year, either when I come down to the Carolinas or when you come up into Western NY/Southern Ontario.

Continued best wishes on the next 1000!

Stephen Davis

« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2012, 06:49:34 PM »
Congrats Cory! I am privileged to have been one of the 74. That is quite the accomplishment AND at such a young age. If you are ever visiting Bend let me know!

Cory Lewis

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2012, 09:27:58 PM »
Cory- Congratulations...How many rounds under par?
Only counting the first trip around the course, 44 rounds under par.

Congratulations Cory.  What did you fire at Pine Valley?  Did you play it in two hours?
I shot 78 at Pine Valley, bogeying the last two holes.  Our foursome played in just over 4 hours, we waited on every shot.  I was actually very impressed with the pace.

1. What course was the most pleasant surprise?
2. What course was the biggest disappointment?
3. What GCA'er has the worst alleged snoring problem?
4. Have you ever had a more entertaining night with GCA'ers than that night at The Palace in Biloxi with Topp and I? The Aristocrats!
1.   Lllanerch
2.   Medinah No.3
3.   That would be you of course
4.   Not that I can recall at the moment, but the Thaw Out this past year, and some of the nights at the various Dixie Cup’s I’ve been too were pretty awesome.

Do you think you missed any before you started to diligently keep track? 
I missed a few early on that I would add later.  It took me a few years to figure out the name of a random course I played in Arkansas with my grandfather when I was 11.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Ron Csigo

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
Congratulations Cory!

What was your favorite Ross course along the journey?

Favorite 'hidden gem' Ross course?

Favorite Ross course played where you'd love to be a member?
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Jason Walker

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »
I've enjoyed playing with Cory a couple of time in the last year or so....either before or after he was coming from or off to his next GC that day!
I also offer my congratulations....I am 2 decades his senior, and 200 courses behind, so I can attest to the difficulty of this feat....closing in on #800 in the next month or two, and have long range plans for 1,000 myself, assuming nothing breaks down...elbow, back, plane engine, finances, writing career, etc.

But--despite how disengenuous it might seem in comparison to Cory's recent achievement, I will still clutch onto the domain name www.vagabondgolfer.com

But--do you drive a BMW convertible with "GOLFGIRL" as your vanity plate???  :)

JSlonis

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2012, 10:27:31 PM »
Cory,

After you've had time to digest course #1000, where would you rank it on your list?

Ron Csigo

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2012, 10:35:47 PM »

But--do you drive a BMW convertible with "GOLFGIRL" as your vanity plate???  :)

My wife's text to me this morning after seeing Cory's car parked in front of our house, I thought you said Cory was a guy??!!  ;D
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »
Cory,

Congratulations.  I too have played a ton of golf courses.  I am not sure the exact number, but it is up there.  As for the letters of the alphabet, I have got them all as well except for X.  I figured my best bet would be to hope that a course in Xenia, OH sprouts up or changes their name to Xenia Country Club!!! Maybe the WRC course in town will change their name some day??? ;D

One comment, I play quite fast and a 1.5 hour round in a cart seems absurdly  fast to meld playing the course, enjoying it and remembering it.  But, hey to each their own.  Glad to see there is someone else out there who likes to play 3 and 4 18 hole rounds in one day!! :o

Chris

Cory Lewis

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2012, 12:13:10 PM »
But--do you drive a BMW convertible with "GOLFGIRL" as your vanity plate???  :)
My wife's text to me this morning after seeing Cory's car parked in front of our house, I thought you said Cory was a guy??!!  ;D
Well, all I can say to that is if you have the choice of your wife's convertible with the GOLFGIRL license plate or your crappy Corolla with 180,000 miles on it and no air conditioning, you are going to take the convertible every time!

Greg Tallman

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2012, 12:17:42 PM »
Cory,

Congratulations.  I too have played a ton of golf courses.  I am not sure the exact number, but it is up there.  As for the letters of the alphabet, I have got them all as well except for X.  I figured my best bet would be to hope that a course in Xenia, OH sprouts up or changes their name to Xenia Country Club!!! Maybe the WRC course in town will change their name some day??? ;D

One comment, I play quite fast and a 1.5 hour round in a cart seems absurdly  fast to meld playing the course, enjoying it and remembering it.  But, hey to each their own.  Glad to see there is someone else out there who likes to play 3 and 4 18 hole rounds in one day!! :o

Chris

Surely a course in China begins with the elusive X???

Greg Tallman

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2012, 12:19:32 PM »
I think you would get credit if you played Club X to C in Gleason, Wisconsin

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2012, 12:31:51 PM »

I was going to mention that one...will have to suggest this instead:

http://www.xiligolf.com/

It appears the membership fee is in the neighborhood of $200,000 USD.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:34:33 PM by Mark Provenzano »

Cory Lewis

« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »
You are the 2nd person to point that club out to me.  Love the wealth of information on GCA.  Might be too far for me to go unless I'm lucky enough to play Milwaukee CC in the next few years.

Surely a course in China begins with the elusive X???
Yes, somebody sent me the names of 4 courses in China that start with X.  I can say with certainty that China is not on my radar anytime soon!

Paul OConnor

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 01:28:54 PM »
What a colossul waste of effort for a ridiculously symbolic "mission accomplished."

Congratulations!  You must have played a lot of crappy courses.

But, since you finished early, here are a couple other "1000's" you can try:

Sleep with 1000 different women.
Eat at 1000 different restaurants.
Shit on 1000 different toilets.

Good luck.

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 01:59:50 PM »
What a colossul waste of effort for a ridiculously symbolic "mission accomplished."

Congratulations!  You must have played a lot of crappy courses.

But, since you finished early, here are a couple other "1000's" you can try:

Sleep with 1000 different women.
Eat at 1000 different restaurants.
Shit on 1000 different toilets.

Good luck.

Well there is a picture of him playing Pine Valley, so he must be doing something right!! ;D  I know that is not on my list.

Chris

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 02:16:27 PM »
Cory,

Congratulations on a job well done! 

Did you ever pass up a second round on a "great" course to go play another?  If so, what was the best course you passed on the 2nd 18 to get another course on the books?

All the best,

Mark

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
Cory, Congrats!!  Glad to count myself among the GCAers along the way

Barring injury or something catastrophic I hope to hit #1500 this fall sometime.  You caused me to do some research and I am still missing "Z" as well at "X".  Where did you play a Z course?  I think the only one I can think of would be Zephyrhills Municipal in FL, guess what is on my radar for my next central FL trip.

Hope to add to both of our totals together sometime soon.

Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Cory Lewis

« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 02:24:46 PM »
What was your favorite Ross course along the journey?
#2 for sentimental reasons.
Favorite 'hidden gem' Ross course?
Hope Valley.  Durham, NC
Favorite Ross course played where you'd love to be a member?
Wannamoisett or Essex County

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2012, 02:31:13 PM »
Cory, Congrats!!  Glad to count myself among the GCAers along the way

Barring injury or something catastrophic I hope to hit #1500 this fall sometime.  You caused me to do some research and I am still missing "Z" as well at "X".  Where did you play a Z course?  I think the only one I can think of would be Zephyrhills Municipal in FL, guess what is on my radar for my next central FL trip.

Hope to add to both of our totals together sometime soon.

I don't know about Cory, but my "Z" course was Zollner Golf Club at Tri-State (now Trine) University.

http://www.trine.edu/zollner/

Chris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back