News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Looks Like an Ideal Final Round
« on: July 22, 2012, 09:04:05 AM »
Enough wind to make it interesting, sunny skies to crisp the course up some and many interesting stories in contention.  The test will be completely different than the first three days which should help scramble the leaderboard.

I would guess McDowell has the best chance to win.  Scott and Snedeker do not have a great history in this situation.  Woods seems scared of the driver and has been tentative with the putter all week.  Els has plenty of scars and Johnson does not have a history of success at the Open.

Mac Plumart

Re: Looks Like an Ideal Final Round
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 09:06:32 AM »
It is, for sure, Scott's to lose.  I think there is a high probability that he does, indeed, win.  I mean has Stevie ever lost an Open while holding the 54 hole lead?   ;)

However, I'm keeping my eye on Zach Johnson.  Why?  I have no idea.   8)
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:24:08 AM »
A 65 and three 67s so far -- ideal conditions for going low?

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 09:39:28 AM »
Scott's bogey on 1 a bad sign or no big deal?

EDIT...more importantly, what is up with Snedeker's pants?   :D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 09:45:18 AM by Mac Plumart »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:49:22 AM »
I'm thinking we are seeing strategic golf in action...Tiger's way of playing the course being one example.  Thoughts?

Phil McDade

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:18:56 AM »
I'm thinking we are seeing strategic golf in action...Tiger's way of playing the course being one example.  Thoughts?

Mac:

Tiger obviously seems to have approached this Open with a plan of avoiding bunkers, given how many irons/utility woods he's taken off tees. But that approach seems necessarily dependent on making mid-range putts of the 15-25 foot range, given that his lack of distance makes it harder to put the ball closer to the hole. And his putting is jut not on, in the way it seems to be for other players. His putt on 4 (?) was really pretty poor -- 15-footer uphill that didn't sniff the cup. He started off really putting well -- four birdies in the first seven holes of play Thursday -- but since then it's been erratic. Wondering if he came up with this plan during the run-up to the tournament, when conditions looked like something around par or slightly under would win the championship. I think Tiger's approach this week has been somewhat hurt by the relatively benign conditions the first three days.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:19:27 AM »

I think Tiger's plan all week has been to take the fairway bunkers out of the equation.  Sometimes this means having a much longer approach than he might get if he pulled a longer club on the tee.  If he's going to have to deal with the sod faces, I think he wants to do it around the green's where there's always the chance of getting up and down.  In other words, I think he'd rather have to get up and down from next to the green than lie two in the fairway.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:35:54 AM »
Will he now shift and begin hitting driver to make up ground after his bunker issues?  That is make a shift in strategy due to tactical miscues?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 10:50:04 AM »
I'll repeat a post I thought I put up a 45 mins ago:

Looks like they're all fighting it out there.

Mac, he should but not too much as there's still a lot of golf and a lot of choking still to be done.

Jackson C

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 10:52:33 AM »
That may have been the best 15 minutes of golf television.
Compare and contrast Woods and McDowell.  Really smart play by McDowell in the bunker.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 11:03:04 AM »
Can't anybody get a putt to the hole?

Phil McDade

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 11:11:19 AM »
I think we now have a train wreck -- great stuff. ;D

Tom Birkert

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 11:16:13 AM »
Final group could be on the clock soon too. They are out of position, teeing off on 8 as group in front are finishing 9...

-6 could well win this.

Phil McDade

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 11:40:11 AM »
Final group could be on the clock soon too. They are out of position, teeing off on 8 as group in front are finishing 9...

Just put on the clock.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 11:59:17 AM »
In regards to Tiger's last tee shot...OMFG, that was bad!  

EDIT...well, watching Tiger hit driver over the last few holes...it would appear he wasn't employing the strategy of hitting irons off the tees as some sort of golf course management tactic in order to attack RL&SA's due to the golf course's design.  Rather it was a strategy employed to hide his falability with the driver.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:40:12 PM by Mac Plumart »

Phil McDade

« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 12:44:54 PM »
Mac:

I think the two go hand--in-hand -- Lytham is quite tight, with severe penal bunkering and rough. So it makes sense to avoid that. The thing is -- Tiger was avoiding them w/ irons off the tee, and Scott has been avoiding them with driver off the tee.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 12:58:38 PM »
What a putt by Ernie!!!

EDIT...it ended up winning him The Open.  Wow!!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:25:25 PM by Mac Plumart »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 01:29:30 PM »
Years ago I named the 18th at Lytham as my favorite finishing hole, and you just saw why.  The potential for birdie is there, but it's really difficult to play it safe if you are trying to hold the lead.

David Davis

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 01:51:22 PM »
Amazing difference a little wind has on that course, not to mention a little nerves. Not enjoyable to see that finish. I much prefer to see tournaments being won as apposed to lost not to take away from Ernie who was amazing today.

Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Jason Topp

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 06:28:27 PM »
One of the things I really admire about Els and Mickelson is how they have kept at it so many years despite blowing so many chances.  Hopefully Scott will do the same. 

I liked it that the two guys with a chance at the end chose to be aggressive off the tee.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back