News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Taylor

in my lifetime? I'm 33. Discuss..
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Mark McKeever

Re: Will Pine Valley ever host a Major, Ryder Cup or President's Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 09:12:46 AM »
A Ryder Cup would be incredible.  I cant imagine it happening though.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 09:30:03 AM »
From what I've read, the pros would embarrass the course. Lots of wedges.

Here, let me help everyone with multiple choice flame responses:

1. Wedges and putters are what the game's about, idiot.
2. They've added tremendous, USGA worthy length, asshole.
3. The course would embarrass the players--once again you've got the logic reversed. Gump.
4. Absolutely the course would crush them, the club just doesn't want to give up any weekends / privacy / {standard club issue}, dolt.
5. The club is too wise to go down the route of kow-towing to pros and even if they did, chump, they wouldn't change anything other than slowing down the greens and still nobody would break par.
6. It's match play so who cares what they're hitting -- and, no, that doesn't mean every match will be halved or decided by whoever hits one random bad shot like a shank, you shankapotamus.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
No way.

Brian Colbert

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 09:40:29 AM »
I'd be thrilled to see them host a US Amateur. They could pair it with Trump Philly for the stroke play. I doubt that would ever fly with the membership though. Running 156 players through that place for 4 days in a row including practice rounds is undesirable, and the course would then have to be closed the rest of the week for match play.

In my completely uninformed opinion, I think the Philly Open (which they are hosting Monday) is as big as they'll go. The Ryder Cup seems like a cool fit and the Walker Cup perhaps even better, but honestly it's dangerous to have the crowds that the Ryder Cup would draw out there. Too many steep drop-offs. Although I can picture playing down 18 with an enormous crowd lined up down the left of the fairway, and tons of people sitting behind the green, and even though it's just a mental image, it's pretty sweet.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 09:45:33 AM »
No way.  Why would they want to?

Mark Johnson

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 09:45:48 AM »
walker cup would likely be as big as they would go-- similar to the logic that Chicago had in hosting a few years back

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 09:53:38 AM »
walker cup would likely be as big as they would go-- similar to the logic that Chicago had in hosting a few years back

The Walker Cup was played at Pine Valley in 1985.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 10:07:44 AM »
And 1936.

I wouldn't bet against another in the next 10-15 years, there is a strong R&A influence within the club as well I would think USGA.
Cave Nil Vino

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »

The Walker Cup was played at Pine Valley in 1985.
And it was spectacular. Cannot wait for Monday, hope the weather holds.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
Tom Doak,

That was before "political.correctness" influenced the choice of venues.

You may recall that David Fay, when he was Executive Director of the USGA, resigned for that reason.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 12:16:42 PM »
I have never been there, I have just seen the course in photos and Shell's WWOG, but it doesn't look to me like you could support any kind of decent size galleries out on the course.

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 12:22:49 PM »
Tom Doak,

You may recall that David Fay, when he was Executive Director of the USGA, resigned for that reason.

By "political.correctness" you mean that PV discriminates against women. Stop being so clever/deceptive.

DMoriarty

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
in my lifetime? I'm 33. Discuss..

I think we need more facts . . . How's your health?  What is your family medical history?  Any dangerous hobbies?  Any drug use, prostitutes, or gang activity?

Seriously, I don't know the answer but I sure hope that Pine Valley will never ever host a Major, Ryder Cup, or President's Cup. That is unless the governing bodies first roll back the equipment and change their thinking on challenge, width and strategy . . . but I don't see that happening.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 01:15:23 PM »
As demonstrated by Royal Lytham this week, if a major is going to be held on a course with a train line that runs by on one of the borders, it is essential that the spectators arriving by train be able to see the course from their carriage seats.  As this is impossible at Pine Valley, it will never host a major.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 03:33:14 PM »
Tom Doak,

By "political.correctness" you mean that PV discriminates against women. Stop being so clever/deceptive.

Jimmy,

Women can play Pine Valley.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 06:16:08 PM »
A match some thing like the old Shell's Wonderful World of Golf would be terrific.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Jimmy Chandler

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 10:22:14 PM »
Carl --

Agreed, that would be very neat to see.

Patrick --

My understanding is that PV does not allow women members, and that they restrict the times women are allowed to play. If I am mistaken I apologize. And if that is not the issue you were referring to, can you explain what the political incorrectness does refer to?

Thanks,

Jimmy

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 12:22:07 AM »

My understanding is that PV does not allow women members, and that they restrict the times women are allowed to play.
Just about every club I know of restricts the times that women are allowed to play.

Until very recently, the great majority of clubs did not allow women members that were afforded the same privileges as the men members.
The chief proponents of that policy were the wives of the men members.

Pine Valley is virtually unplayable for your average or better than average woman member>

If I am mistaken I apologize. And if that is not the issue you were referring to, can you explain what the political incorrectness does refer to?

I'm sure that you can deduce that.
[/color]
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 12:24:25 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 12:25:20 AM »

A match some thing like the old Shell's Wonderful World of Golf would be terrific.

Carl, while I'd like to see those matches as well, I fear that editing would distort reality.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 02:33:00 AM »
If Pine Valley is virtually unplayable for the average lady then surely that's a design fault??
Cave Nil Vino

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 11:05:12 AM »

If Pine Valley is virtually unplayable for the average lady then surely that's a design fault??

Mark,

Your ignorance regarding Crump's intent, after all of the PV threads, is remarkable.

Crump didn't care about the woman golfer, the poor or average male golfer or any golfer other than the championship golfer, and that's whom he designed the course for.

And in that regard, He did a spectacular job

How could you not know that ?

Joe Bausch

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 12:10:03 PM »
I think Crump had plans for another course at PV for women.  If he had lived longer, I wonder if that would have happened.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mac Plumart

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 12:15:16 PM »
My understanding is that PV does not allow women members, and that they restrict the times women are allowed to play.

Just about every club I know of restricts the times that women are allowed to play.

Hmmm...I don't see that very often at all.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »

Hmmm...I don't see that very often at all.

Mac,

You have to differentiate play from membership categories and play for those categories.

Do you really believe that the wife of a member can tee off any time she wants ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back