News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re:Da man for the 3rd course in Bandon
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2003, 02:51:48 PM »
David,
So far, my only shot at DeVries is that he makes a perfect roomate when at Bandon, and he annually gets to partake in my horrible tasteless jokes on Michigan football. (How many ties and losses did they have a few seasons ago, and still end up in the Top 10?)

Wait a second! You went to Michigan! Now I get it! :)

In truth, I consider Mike a very close friend, and I think he is much more then a one-hit wonder. I could see him adding to the landscape of great golf. It just won't be Bandon Woodlands.

David Wigler

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2003, 02:57:13 PM »
WAIT A SECOND!!

The course is called Bandon Woodlands and people are questioning whether it is a parkland piece of property?
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

TEPaul

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2003, 09:36:43 PM »
TommyN:

That photo enhancement (or whatever it is) and comparison is what it's all about--not in text this time but visually which most people should understand without question! That happens to be one of my most favorite holes in the world.

Great stuff!!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2003, 01:18:23 PM »
A little birdie just told me it's a 99.9% done deal.  

C & C will design the course.

A routing has been conceived but not finalized

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2003, 01:28:31 PM »
David Wigler,

Get your credit card ready for the Emperor.

Raymond

« Reply #55 on: July 23, 2003, 02:17:05 PM »
That will be exciting if C&C get the project. They will certainly do everything possible to uphold the standards that heve been set by the two previous designs. This is going to end up being the premier golf destination in the US. I can't wait to see the announcement and then the finished product. I'm stoked!

Ray

Matthew Schulte

« Reply #56 on: July 23, 2003, 03:33:58 PM »
If that is true it is reasonably likely that Bandon will now have three courses in the top 100.  That is the good news.  The bad news, I believe, is that we can probably expect Pinehurst/Pebble Beach like green fees, lodging policies, and even advance deposits to make reservations.  I'm thrilled and sad all at once.  Long gone are the days when the only visitors were the true die hards.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #57 on: July 23, 2003, 03:55:17 PM »
M Shulte,
Once again, I'm just as selfish as some of you in this regards, but I think you really have to applaud what they are doing here. You must walk, it is Golf as it was meant to be played, to steal a line from the original course marketing, and if it is going to educate the masses--all the better! We as golfers who practice a form of traditional values have to accept people who too want to realize the real spirit of the Game itself. I would like to think that Mr. Keiser feels the same, because certainly he is proving it to a very large degree.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: July 23, 2003, 04:03:11 PM »
I would love to see a course there by C & C, I thought Talking Stick North had the most fun bunkering outside of Pacific Dunes that I've seen in years on the North Course (didn't play the South).  The central bunker features on several holes were just terrific.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2003, 04:10:36 PM »
Bill Count me as one that thinks that the South Course is widely under-appreciated by many. In some cases, I think the routing is better then the North, and other then a knock'em dead World Classer like "Boundry" on the North, I thnk the course has some incredible detail work, just a tad bit more playable for all of the masses.

Of course then again, I'm BIASED.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #60 on: July 23, 2003, 04:18:45 PM »
C'mon, Tommy, there were at least six holes at TSN that were more "world class" than #2 Boundry (at least IMHO)!  I absolutely loved #4, #12 (split fairway?), #18? (great diagonal bunkering).  #2 was good use of the OB but annoying with the barbed wire.  

It'll be fun to see what C&C do with that woodland property.  I didn't pay enough attention to that area ---- is it rolling terrain?  Creeks or ravines?  Lots of trees...... any open meadows?

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2003, 04:41:17 PM »
Bill you forgot to mention #11!

The point being is that there is a lot of good architecture throughout Talking Stick. While it really takes something to put in World Class, I do in fact think that is exactly what #2 is, and it is being accomplished in the most simple way. That is the hole's genious. Along with some masterful shaping along the right side of the fairway. Don't ever think for one second that I don't think highly of TS, as Forrest likes to bust my chops on this all of the time. I do think it is a prime example of routing that makes it so good also. Bill Coore is a feature kind of guy. He knows what kind of features work and don't work or even partially work. I'm going to ask him the next time I talk to him EXACTLY what feature inspried him on the routing of Talking Stick, and I'll bet a dollar to a dime...better yet, dinner with Wigler and myself that it was in fact th boundry fence of #2. It was the only feature which to work from, even though it was man made, it is almost hilarious because it isn't a mound or pit or something that would usually inspire.

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2003, 05:00:43 PM »
I loved the 2nd at TS-North as well!  The strategy is so simple, yet works so well.....the closer to the OB you're willing to play the ball, the better the approach angle to the green.  I'm assuming that C&C were inspired by the 6th at Carnoustie when creating that hole.  There may not be a "Hogan's Alley" or a creek pinching the right side of the fairway closer to the green, but the holes are quite similar.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2003, 06:15:59 PM »
Tommy, if #11 is the lengthy par 3, yes that is a really good hole as well, with the big bailout left and sneaky amount of room between front bunkers and the green.  About the same length as #17 at Apache Stronghold but nowhere near as intimidating!

Okay, I'll give you #2 as world class as well.  Based on Mike Erdmann's analysis!

Norbert P

« Reply #64 on: July 25, 2003, 06:38:56 PM »
 Has an 'official statement' been made yet?
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Lesnik

« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2003, 05:18:57 PM »
Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw will be designing the third course at Bandon Dunes.  Keiser told me it truly was one of the hardest decisions he's had to make in golf.  All the architects he met were extremely talented.  Knowing Mike, he wishes he could build one with each of them.  

The site is characterized mostly by inland, rolling, dune land, some with distant ocean vistas .  It is South and East of Bandon Dunes.    

I look forward to sometime in/after 2005 when We can hopefully read about the course on this site.  Thanks again for all your interest in Bandon Dunes.

Josh

Norbert P

« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2003, 05:40:44 PM »
 Josh, thanks for the news flash.  Congratulations for the Coore and Crenshaw connection.  It'll be nice to have their work in the Northwest.  Perhaps the others that were in the running will be up for the next layout.  
   I've walked the trail y'all have laid out southeast (with a little unsanctioned Rambo sortie inland) and was wondering if they would be using any of the land west of the huge dune ridge in the exposed land near the entry road from the south.  If so, how are they going to get over the ridge or are they going around it to the far lake at its southern terminus?  

This is all very exciting stuff.  (Like I need to tell you that.)
 Congrats again.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2003, 06:04:49 PM »
Josh - I guess my recommendation for the Lesnik/Cummings design team didn't make the cut  ;)

Can't wait to watch as the design forms and evolves.

J

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2003, 06:57:15 PM »
Tommy Naccarato,

When we were having a drink at GCGC I indicated that I thought that the new course was going to be southeast of
# 17 & # 18 at Bandon Dunes.  You indicated that the course would be east, or wrapped around the practice area.

Does anybody know, with certainty, where the golf course will be built ?

Michael Dugger

« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2003, 07:01:49 PM »
Isn't to the east of #17 and #18 at Bandon pretty much a sheer dropoff?

I believe the course will be nearer to the clubhouse and entrance road...more inland with a few views out to the ocean.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Michael Dugger

« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2003, 07:12:57 PM »
If you look at the photo below the new course is slated, I believe, for the ground that is pretty much out of the picture in the upper right hand corner.

Yeah, I guess that helps like not at all ::)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2003, 07:57:45 PM »
Mdugger,

First of all, I'm proud of you.

You posted a picture of the actual site we're discussing  ;D

In looking at the photo, are you positive that parts of the third course won't be to the southeast of the 17th & 18th holes at Bandon Dunes ?

When I was there in May that's what some very unreliable sources told me.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2003, 08:56:31 PM »
Pat, Shortly after I said to Jonathan Cummings that it wasn't going to be South of #17 @ BD, someone called me up to correctme. Sorry for leaving you out of the loop. Originally, before a recent land swap was made the course was nowhere near #17. How recent, I don't know.

So, I guess I'm wrong, but Wigler owes me dinner with a bottle of Opus! :)

Michael Dugger

« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2003, 09:38:28 PM »
Tommy & Mr. Mucci,

Yes yes, I think you are both correct in a sense.

I.E. The swampland over the embankment below #17BD.  However, as you pointed out, Tommy, I think I read somewhere here that that area of wetlands is now off limits.  Correct me if I'm wrong

Thus, like I said, the course is more inland, some of it near the entrance road.

I'd say we'll all know a lot more on Friday! ;D

David Wigler

« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2003, 07:32:14 AM »
The Emperor called last night and the Vino and pasta will flow on my next trip to LA.  Congrats to C&C.  
And I took full blame then, and retain such now.  My utter ignorance in not trumpeting a course I have never seen remains inexcusable.
Tom Huckaby 2/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back