News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Howe

Re: Is Lytham and St. Anne's a Links Course?
« Reply #50 on: July 21, 2012, 12:20:39 PM »
Agreed, stats are facts, but in a sample as small as this field of players they can be interpreted in such a variety of ways as to be almost meaningless. Anyone who knows golf can see that Scott is consistently hitting to the ideal spots on almost every shot. Snedeker isn't.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #51 on: July 21, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
Attaboy, Ted. Flights into Manchester or Liverpool provide easy access, the Theakston is great and don't forget Dr Stableford's home course as well as the home of the original iconic Bob Jones portrait, Wallasey.

PS Commenting just now on the American commentators' lament of Lytham's environs, Peter Alliss said what about the freeways, housing, and rigamarole surrounding Riviera? (He did concede Riv's surrounds were of higher standard, but development is development.)

JNC Lyon

« Reply #52 on: July 21, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »
Put me in the camp of those who are impressed watching Lytham on TV.  This is the first Open that I have watched that has been held at this course.  I like the understated look of it- and I love how it's smack in the middle of the neighborhood- being hard against the ocean is overated.  I am so smitten with the look and feel of the broadcast- i am scheming to organize a Lancashire golf trip next spring- Lytham, Birkdale, Hoylake and Foamby- along with the feel of gritty, working class England- thats the ticket for me. 

Hit Silloth-on-Solway as well.  People whose opinion I respect greatly rate Silloth very highly.
"That's why Oscar can't see that!" - Philip E. "Timmy" Thomas

Anthony Butler

« Reply #53 on: July 21, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
Stats are facts, the conclusion that he's the luckiest golfer around is opinion.

3% difference in fairways hit is 1 whopping fairway.

Well, it is my considered opinion that luck is catching up with Snedeker today... or perhaps, as you and Phil would say, it's his amazing lack of skill...
Next!

Joey Chase

« Reply #54 on: July 21, 2012, 12:46:32 PM »
Don't forget Southport and Ainsdale, great fun and host to two Ryder Cups. 

George Pazin

« Reply #55 on: July 21, 2012, 01:02:50 PM »
Stats are facts, the conclusion that he's the luckiest golfer around is opinion.

Well, it is my considered opinion that luck is catching up with Snedeker today... or perhaps, as you and Phil would say, it's his amazing lack of skill...

So he's not the luckiest golfer alive?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Ted Cahill

« Reply #56 on: July 21, 2012, 01:11:22 PM »
Ted: use Southport as a base and eat in the Forge brasserie. The steaks are as good as Sand Hills.

that seals it- i'm going  ;D
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #57 on: July 21, 2012, 01:12:19 PM »
Take away the eye candy views and Lytham gives you a very good golf course. Anyone can be suckered in by the sea and big dunes.
Cave Nil Vino

Ted Cahill

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2012, 01:18:41 PM »
Put me in the camp of those who are impressed watching Lytham on TV.  This is the first Open that I have watched that has been held at this course.  I like the understated look of it- and I love how it's smack in the middle of the neighborhood- being hard against the ocean is overated.  I am so smitten with the look and feel of the broadcast- i am scheming to organize a Lancashire golf trip next spring- Lytham, Birkdale, Hoylake and Foamby- along with the feel of gritty, working class England- thats the ticket for me. 

Hit Silloth-on-Solway as well.  People whose opinion I respect greatly rate Silloth very highly.

sounds good
“Bandon Dunes is like Chamonix for skiers or the
North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is
where those who really care end up.”

Anthony Butler

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2012, 02:36:40 PM »

So he's not the luckiest golfer alive?
Not today. As I said on numerous occasions in this thread, Luck tends to even out over 72 holes.

I just hope it doesn't jump and grab Adam Scott tomorrow. He hasn't needed much luck so far, given how well he's been hitting it.
Next!

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2012, 02:50:35 PM »
Despite his struggles, Snedeker did have a bit of luck today.  One shot out of the rough was headed to a similar fate a little further up the hole, but somehow hit a marshall and bounded on a right angle back into the fairway.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2012, 07:12:58 PM »
My wife made two comments today while we watched The Open and I'm posting both of them on GCA.  She said it looked like half the course was linksland and half wasn't.  It did bring up a good question.  When does the transition from linksland to non-linksland occur.  At a course like Spyglass the contrast is obvious (if the dunes at Spy are in fact linksland). 

Here's an old link to the topic I thought was a good read and basically left me thinking there is no real answer as to when linksland becomes non-linksland.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,369.0/wap2.html

JOE, WHICH IS THE SECOND COMMENT SHE MADE? THE FIRST IS OBVIOUS...SEPARATION OF LINKS AND NON-LINKS LAND.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2012, 08:53:00 PM »
My wife made two comments today while we watched The Open and I'm posting both of them on GCA.  She said it looked like half the course was linksland and half wasn't.  It did bring up a good question.  When does the transition from linksland to non-linksland occur.  At a course like Spyglass the contrast is obvious (if the dunes at Spy are in fact linksland).  

Here's an old link to the topic I thought was a good read and basically left me thinking there is no real answer as to when linksland becomes non-linksland.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,369.0/wap2.html

JOE, WHICH IS THE SECOND COMMENT SHE MADE? THE FIRST IS OBVIOUS...SEPARATION OF LINKS AND NON-LINKS LAND.

Sorry on another thread...about the smiley face bunker on 17 being ridiculous.

Non golfers often have pretty insightful opinions.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2012, 11:09:00 PM »

And the site of this year's Buda Cup. 

Andrew Summerell

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2012, 01:32:45 AM »
It's the UK's Torrey Pines.  I have never witnessed such a boring course.

You should go and play Lytham and St. Anne's one day, John. You will find it to be an excellent course & quite a friendly club.

I would place it well ahead of either course at Torrey Pines.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2012, 10:30:34 AM »
Was looking at the tournament hole stats through three days.  Only three holes have a variance of greater than .2 (all playing harder than par).  Four holes are playing under par, and none significantly so.  One of the par 5's is playing over par.

As of right now only 12 guys are under par.  Three days of little to no wind and wet conditions and the course is still playing very tough.  I'd say its pretty deserving of its place in the rota.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back