News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: one course for the rest of your life
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2012, 03:55:12 PM »
NGLA(West)

You know the course I lobbied to be named Pacific Golf Links of America.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Mimran

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
Royal Dornoch all day every day.

John Kirk

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »
Though I've never played it, my choice would be Cypress Point Club, for year-round weather, scenery, Carmel and great golf.

J Cabarcos

« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2012, 04:59:46 PM »
Pasatiempo (played) & NGLA (one day it will happen, until then I will just wear my "The National" cap)

Mark Johnson

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2012, 05:13:14 PM »
Black Sheep.

Might not be the greatest course in the world (though I think it is close).   But what I love is the variety of shot options it offers, the variety of holes.

Also a huge fan of the simplistic experience and how the course is very rarely crowded.   The feeling I get there of being in the middle of nowhere really can't be matched.

Brian Freeman

« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2012, 05:15:46 PM »
Royal Dornoch, even if the weather's only good a fraction of the time of somewhere else.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2012, 05:39:50 PM »
All rules of weather are suspended when we enter fictional realms like this one.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Carl Rogers

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2012, 07:59:29 PM »
Are there any votes for courses of less fame that do not require large sums of cash, highly exclusive or are located in remote areas of the world?
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Mac Plumart

« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2012, 08:02:43 PM »
Are there any votes for courses of less fame that do not require large sums of cash, highly exclusive or are located in remote areas of the world?

I could play Rivermont for the rest of my life.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Tim Martin

« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2012, 08:08:33 PM »

Shennecossett

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2012, 08:15:56 PM »
I'll second the Valley Club of Montecito, a special place in a fantastic location.  Wouldn't mind living in Santa Barbara for the rest of my life either.

PThomas

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2012, 08:27:00 PM »
I am surprised no one has mentioned SHinnecock yet
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Don Hyslop

« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2012, 08:42:13 PM »
Out of the courses I have played, it would be Highland Links, Cape Breton. Cabot Links and Crowbush Cove next in line. Out of all courses, it would have to be the Old Course.( how could one do better than play out one's time at the home of golf)
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:36 PM »
I certainly have not played it, but I would consider Augusta National (or Peachtree as a VERY good alternative).  Those courses are in play the best 8 months of the year in Georgia (in my opinion). 

For shorter seasons, either Shinnecock or Crystal Downs would be great.

Kingsley offers so many fun shot options.

I agree with Mac, Rivermont never gets old.

BUT THE WINNER IS - TOC.  It is so playable (which is important for a hack like me), a great walk, has the best pratice putting green, a beautiful location and the back nine is by far the best I have ever seen.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2012, 12:07:44 AM »
It may be that no one is a member of Shinny and it is far from year round. If I lived in the neighborhood, was a Member and wanted 5 to 6 months a year of golf, then Shinny it would be.

William_G

« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2012, 02:00:34 AM »
Lawsonia Links
It's all about the golf!

Greg Ohlendorf

« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2012, 02:08:12 AM »
Dornoch across the pond. Shoreacres here.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2012, 02:19:24 AM »
Mike, Brian, Greg - just vote against the new £4.5m clubhouse at Royal Dornoch!
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2012, 03:54:24 AM »
Trying to keep this concept out of the realm of dreamsville and wanting an all-year round course which will suit me into old age, I have to go for a flatish course, that drains well, is affordable, isn't over-run by touristas, isn't too hot, isn't too difficult and near a place I wouldn't mind living.   

Chappers' call on Deal is quite good, of course Sandwich would be as well - maybe slightly better, but I don't know have a good feel for the membership.   

I always liked Woking for this as well, but I am not convinced I want to live in the London burbs and commuting out from the city sounds like too much of a hassle

Rye may be a fine choice, same for Brancaster - I really like that part of the country. 

I quite like Huntercombe for this as well, but the trees would eventually wear me down.

I reckon I would do research on the above and see what gives in terms gaining membership (I suspect at least a few I may not be able to join), type of membership, how the club/course is run etc. 

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Niall C

« Reply #69 on: July 20, 2012, 02:12:20 PM »
Going with Sean's criteria, indeed even without Sean's rules, I would choose Silloth. A course that can be played all year round, that changes with the seasons and with every hole giving you a chance but also ready to bite if you get it wrong. That allied to it being a good local club thats welcoming to visitors and members alike, makes it the one for me.

Niall

Jim Franklin

« Reply #70 on: July 20, 2012, 03:51:25 PM »
All rules of weather are suspended when we enter fictional realms like this one.

One wise man gets it. Weather doesn't matter when it is a fictional topic.
Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #71 on: July 20, 2012, 03:59:02 PM »
I'm already all in for Victoria National.  As I go from 40 to 90 I will be the poster child for everything that is good about 6 sets of tees.

Jud_T

« Reply #72 on: July 20, 2012, 03:59:43 PM »
It's got to be TOC (and ultimately the Himalayas!), but Kingsley ain't a bad substitute on this side of the pond. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brian Freeman

« Reply #73 on: July 20, 2012, 06:46:44 PM »

One wise man gets it. Weather doesn't matter when it is a fictional topic.

In that case... my choice is... still Dornoch.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #74 on: July 20, 2012, 08:16:24 PM »
Here is my questions.   Outside of pure architecture,  what else is a deciding factor?

1) Pace of play
2) Overall experience (dining, lockers, practice facillities, secluded feel)
3) ability to get the tee time you want
4) ability to host guest of multiple abilities
5) other

Reason #1 probably disqualifying almost everyone non-Bandon public option and 3 DQs Bandon and a ton of private golf factories (Bandon, Merion, Medinah, Winged Foot, Baltural)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back