News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joel_Stewart

Over the years, the 5th at Spyglass with photos.
« on: July 14, 2012, 11:14:20 PM »
One of the highlights of playing Spyglass Hill are the first 5 holes and the 5th is a fun testing par 3 which is not long, very scenic and can be very penal if you miss the green.

Last week I had the chance to play Spyglass and coincidentally I also discovered an old photo which I had taken years ago, maybe 1985.  You can see the noticable changes to the hole over the years.  The major change that I noticed began on the 3rd in which the Pebble Beach Company has taken out most of the penal ice-plant.  This has now carried over to the 5th hole, in which if you missed the hole especially long, you were stuck in this most unplayable plant.  The Pebble Beach Company has now made a long strip bunker which surrounds the back of the green.  You can also see a big change in the depth in the front bunkers.

I've also included a photo from Adam Claymans write up about Spyglass which is in the middle.

Maybe 1985

June 2012
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 11:15:54 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Brett_Morrissy

Re: Over the years, the 5th at Spyglass with photos.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 12:01:16 AM »
Joel, my preference is for the 1985 conditioning, it justs seems so much more natural to my eye. But I also like the additional sand behind the green. Do you think this has added to the penal nature of the hole, is lessened it?
..and agree the first five holes are just terrific, one of my favorite p5 s is the first, would be interested if you also have a pic of some of the others from 1985.
@theflatsticker

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:08:38 AM »
A couple other recent photos of the hole.

From the tee ...

And from right of the green ...

The back "bunker" feels like just part of the natural sand dune on which the green sits. Seems to be maintained that way, as well. No rakes for it or anything similar, that I saw.

I thought it fit the hole fine, but as I said it felt very much a part of the dune to me. The area surrounding 4 green, which I understand used to be heavily covered in iceplant, is now the main area that stuck out to me as feeling a bit contrived. Great green site, but something about the top of the mounds on either side didn't feel right to me.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 01:09:19 AM »
Thanks Joel, 5 is a great par 3. How much is new sand behind the green and how much is just cleaning out the ice plants.

Dustin Knight

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:43:06 AM »

The one thing obvious from the recent photos are the three bunkers short of the green with two distinct personalities.........
Lost Farm........ WOW!

Sean Leary

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 10:24:38 AM »
When was the house built?

The front bunkers have obviously been affected by the sand splashing out creating a bigger lip.

Far and away the best par 3 on the course....

Mike Benham

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 12:14:02 PM »
... very scenic ...

I agree with Sean that it is the best par 3 at Spyglass but I would not use the word scenic when describing the view, those houses are likely in the Top 10 Worst Designs on the 17 Mile Drive. 
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 01:13:31 PM »
... very scenic ...

I agree with Sean that it is the best par 3 at Spyglass but I would not use the word scenic when describing the view, those houses are likely in the Top 10 Worst Designs on the 17 Mile Drive. 

Mike I assume you know that's one house! And I agree. The one at 3 blocks the view too. It is a great hole though, no doubt.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 01:16:33 PM »
... very scenic ...

Even without the house I consider it a very pleasing hole to the eye.

In the late 1970's I went down here to caddie for a buddy who was playing in the State Amatuer.  One day I am walking around the shops at Pebble Beach and the real estate office has the listing for this house and photos up in the front window.  Price $1 million.   I'm told it recently sold for $7 million.

By the way, it can be rented. http://www.spyandsea.com/
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:19:26 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
... very scenic ...

In the late 1970's I went down here to caddie for a buddy who was playing in the State Amatuer.  One day I am walking around the shops at Pebble Beach and the real estate office has the listing for this house and photos up in the front window.  Price $1 million.   I'm told it recently sold for $7 million.

Joel,

The house was originally owned by Dudley De Zionia a one time president of MPCC. I believe he sold the house in the late '70s for $750,000, fully furnished.

Bob

Adam Clayman

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 03:01:17 PM »
Joel, et al.  the back right bunker looks contrived to me. But, that's only because in the '98-'02 era, it was likely the most penal of all the bunkers at Spy, save for the front of #2. Which has also been homogenized. (Stress on the homo).

The sand, as I recall it, was a greyish color and had the consistency of beach sand.

I learned a very important lesson on this green. That's how wind can affect putts.  It was the '00 AT&T. My player had a putt that I knew broke about a foot or so to the left. With the wind whipping down over the ridge of the 3rd tee, his putt broke at least 3 feet to the right.

At that time they also added the newer rear tee. It was farther back and much further right of the old teeing ground. I believe the new yardage from that back tee was 185ish. Uphill at sea level. No slouch.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »
At that time they also added the newer rear tee. It was farther back and much further right of the old teeing ground. I believe the new yardage from that back tee was 185ish. Uphill at sea level. No slouch.

The back right tee is around 200.

Eric Johnson

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »
The back tee was installed in March-April 2000

Tim Leahy

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 01:32:38 PM »
... very scenic ...

Joel,

The house was originally owned by Dudley De Zionia a one time president of MPCC. I believe he sold the house in the late '70s for $750,000, fully furnished.

Bob

I read in a book called Golf's Bottom Ten that that house was the most sold and resold house in the area because of the smell that drifts from the Bird Rock below it.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 01:39:47 PM »
... very scenic ...

Joel,

Bob

I read in a book called Golf's Bottom Ten that that house was the most sold and resold house in the area because of the smell that drifts from the Bird Rock below it.

I can see that being an issue. And I rather liked the house, from an architecture standpoint. Not the greatest backdrop for the hole, but I'm also not sure it's ruining too much of a view. You wouldn't be able to see out to the ocean from that tee anyway, with the height of the dune and the distance down to the coastline in that direction.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2012, 01:48:25 PM »
Tim,

The smell can get pretty ripe at certain times of the year.

Bob

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back