News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mac Plumart

Scottish Open...Castle Stuart
« on: July 11, 2012, 07:57:16 PM »
Tomorrow kicks off the Scottish Open, right?

Castle Stuart, if I'm not mistaken.

If I've got my facts straight, I'm pumped!!

Anyone played it?  Will it be good for the Pros?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David_Tepper

Re: Scottish Open...Castle Stuart
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 09:16:12 PM »
Mac P. -

Castle Stuart has been discussed a great length here over the past couple of years.

Here is a current thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,52756.0.html

DT

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 11:52:30 PM »
Thanks David...I missed that one.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 02:43:02 AM »
Nice set of photos on BBC's website :  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/18822597

Josh Tarble

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
Nice set of photos on BBC's website :  http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/18822597

As much as I enjoyed the photo collection...I liked the captions even better!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 12:03:34 PM »
I have to say the Course is looking damn good on the BBC today.
W-I-D-E, but GOOD! Glorious location. I may have to swing by next month during the Dornoch pilgrimage.

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Jackson C

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:09:20 PM »
How does CS play compared to Dornoch?
With little wind, the pros are just throwing the ball at the flags.  Not seeing much ground play.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »
"How does CS play compared to Dornoch?
With little wind, the pros are just throwing the ball at the flags.  Not seeing much ground play."

Jackson C. -

CS is certainly much wider off the tee and thru the fairway than Dornoch. Also, the rough at CS is not as thick. Mark Parsinen's models for CS were Dornoch and Cruden Bay.

The conditions at CS this year have certainly been very benign. The wind has almost been non-existent and there is enough moisture in the greens so that the pros are having no problem getting balls to check.

However, I did see Noren putt from 30 yards off the 3rd green today. ;)

DT  
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:20:32 PM by David_Tepper »

Jackson C

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:23:23 PM »
"How does CS play compared to Dornoch?
With little wind, the pros are just throwing the ball at the flags.  Not seeing much ground play."

Jackson C. -

CS is certainly much wider off the tee and thru the fairway than Dornoch. Also, the rough at CS is not as thick. Mark Parsinen's models for CS were Dornoch and Cruden Bay.

The conditions at CS this year have certainly been very benign. The wind has almost been non-existent and there is enough moisture in the greens so that the pros are having no problem getting balls to check.

However, I did see Noren putt from 30 yards off the 3rd green today. ;)

DT  

I am ready to see some real links golf on TV.  Hopefully ... the weather and conditioning cooperates next week at the Open.

Q -- would the pros play Dornoch the same way we are seeing at CS?  I am guessing Dornoch is not as susceptible to one dimensional air play even in benign conditions.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 12:35:38 PM »
"Q -- would the pros play Dornoch the same way we are seeing at CS?  I am guessing Dornoch is not as susceptible to one dimensional air play even in benign conditions."

Jackson C. -

On the occasions I have played Dornoch with low-handicap golfers, most of them have played "the aerial game" and scored just fine. My guess is the pros would play Dornoch exactly the same way they are playing CS under these conditions (and shoot scores that are just as low!).

They are playing the Scottish Amateur Matchplay at Dornoch at the end of this month. It will be interesting to see what the scores are in the medal qualifying.

With regards to the weather for the Open at Lytham St. Anne's next week, one of the TV commentators on today's broadcast said the weather is expected to be "horrendous."    

DT

David_Tepper

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2012, 04:44:00 PM »
Very nice to see 3 Scots among the top 8 on the leaderboard after 3 rounds. The locals will have good reason to turn out & cheer tomorrow.

Per Geoff Shackelford: "Really: Scots Looming in Scottish Open!"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/jul/14/marc-warren-martin-laird-scottish-open
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 05:18:33 PM by David_Tepper »

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
More from Geoff Shackelford -

"Television does not do Gil Hanse and Mark Parsinen's Castle Stuart design justice, as the scale is much grander and the elevation change stark between the lower waterside holes and those on the upper shelf.The bunkering is aging beautifully and the overall design is appears to be a perfect blend of fun and challenge."

14 photos of the course: http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2012/7/14/photos-castle-stuart-saturday.html

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back