News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Andrew

Re: Pebble Beach's 14 & 17 greens
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »
All the recent bunker work was by Arnold Palmer, I would assume the green work is too.

The bunker work I saw last year was very disappointing.
It was very modern and completely out of scale with the site
I liked the previous bunker work by Jim Lipe and was surprised when they began renovating bunkers like this.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 08:25:26 PM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Lance Rieber

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2013, 10:18:07 AM »
Can someone tell me if the left side of the 9th green has always been raised like that?  It's been a long time since I've been there but I don't remember that being so abrupt. Thanks

Adam Clayman

« Reply #27 on: May 27, 2013, 10:42:17 AM »
Yes Lance, The left side of 9 green is steep. Back in the day, the stimps were 8-9 with 10 being ridiculous. I can't imagine them at 11 or 12.

It's amazing how much of people's perceptions are based on greens speeds.

During pro tournaments, the break on an uphill, middle pin putt, on 9 green, was 5-6 feet. For the paying customer, the speeds were much slower and you'd be lucky to get that same putt to break 6 inches.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Lance Rieber

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2013, 09:05:19 PM »
Adam, I was referring to the rough with the steep bank left of the green. I don't remember walking off that green and climbing an incline that steep. I thought it was relatively flat on that side except for the general slope of the land towards the water. It  looks a little artificial, but it could have been exactly like that when I played and just don't remember.   thanks

Pete Buczkowski

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 04:36:23 PM »
It doesn't seem to be a fair comparison; 14 should be attacked with a short iron/wedge, 17 is a mid-long iron.  I've only played PB a couple times, but the course just isn't designed to be US Open firm.  Under normal conditions both greens give the otherwise non-descript holes some character, though I do wish the back left portion of 17 was larger.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2013, 05:37:03 PM »
#14 and #17 have not been redone yet.  #9 is going first.  Others to follow.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2013, 10:29:15 PM »
#14 and #17 have not been redone yet.  #9 is going first.  Others to follow.

Not sure about this.   #17 was complete as of Friday, at least the bunkers.  I find it inconceivable that they would do the bunkers and not the green.  This green desperately needs to be restored to it's original size and shape.

#18,  bunkers are now complete.

#9 was complete, just not open as per my earlier photos.

Bunker work was in progress on #16 greenside.  Balls in the bunkers are ruled ground under repair. The back bunker has been sketched out but work has not started.   You can see the outline for the new bunker in the photo below.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2013, 10:17:54 AM »
Joel, #17 green is being redone.  #14 and #17 are not done yet.  #9 went first.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back