News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ian Mackenzie

Re: Trump International Golf Links
« Reply #850 on: October 13, 2016, 11:21:07 AM »
Ian -- I make no comment on Trump's future business prospects, but with respect to his Aberdeen golf course, it has always been abundantly clear that it cannot make money on its own, they have spent too much on it.

The only way he ever gets a return from it is to build the hotel and the houses. That has always been the case, and it must surely have been factored into the business planning.

Adam - I get it and that is where my (unsolicited) editorial plays out.

Trump's brand has gone from "golden to molten"...by his own hand, words and actions. The analogy with UK's Brexit is stunning. So, who are the buyers of the homes and the clients of the hotel?

Maybe visiting Americans will swallow their bias and walk in to Donald's latest gilded lair and fork over their diposable cash in exchange for...what exactly...?...convenience? I don't know anyone who would do that TODAY.

His portfolio: Doonbeg, Turnberry and Aberdeen will all be sold as distressed assets when/if economic headwinds revisit our global economy in the next 5 years. He's leveraged to the ears and his business model cannot withstand adversity.

The resilient  farmer who flew the Mexican flag will have the last laugh.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #851 on: October 13, 2016, 11:23:26 AM »
I was just searching various websites including the courses own one and am struggling to establish what the daily greenfees are at Balmedie these days. I appreciate there are probably several rates depening on time of day and month etc but I wasn't able to find them. Perhaps my searching isn't what it could be or perhaps the figures that once were so readily available arn't anymore.

By the way, are they still operating with 15 min interval tee times and will the course close over the winter as previously?

Atb

http://www.trumpgolfscotland.com/Default.aspx?p=dynamicmodule&pageid=100006&ssid=100028&vnf=1

2016 - Low Season April 1 to April 30, October 1 to October 317 days a weekStandard Green Fee: £165.00[/size]Hotel Resident Green Fee: £145.00[/font][/size]Scottish Resident Green Fee: £135.00[/size]Local Resident Green Fee: £115.00[/size]Replay Rate (within 3 days): £65.00[/size]2016 - High Season May 1 to September 307 days a weekStandard Green Fee: £215.00[/font][/size]Hotel Resident Green Fee: £185.00[/size]Scottish Resident Green Fee: £175.00[/size]Local Resident Green Fee: £145.00[/size]Replay Rate (within 3 days): £95.00[/font][/color][/size]Golf Course Opening Times2016 golf season - April 1 to October 31Payment of Green FeesFull payment is required at the time of booking. We accept all major credit cards for payment of green fees.[/color]

Kalen Braley

« Reply #852 on: October 13, 2016, 12:24:22 PM »
Ian,

When it comes to Bankruptcy, Trump has been there/done that several times already.  Apparently its not a deterrent, especially when you don't pay taxes.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #853 on: October 13, 2016, 12:38:23 PM »
There seem to be too many Brits on this site who failed their 11+ vis a vis arithmetic.  In order to write off ¬$1 billion in 1995, The Donald must have significant future income in order to utilise this tax "loss," and significantly greater "income" over the past 20 years to have moved from near bankruptcy to biliionairness.  Vis a vis his golf adventures, whether he "makes" or "loses" $25 million/year on Drumbeg, Balmedie, Turnberry. etc. over the next decade or two is peanuts to him.  He ain't no financial dummy, unlike the other candidates in the current Presidential race......

Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tom_Doak

« Reply #854 on: October 13, 2016, 01:07:43 PM »
There seem to be too many Brits on this site who failed their 11+ vis a vis arithmetic.  In order to write off ¬$1 billion in 1995, The Donald must have significant future income in order to utilise this tax "loss," and significantly greater "income" over the past 20 years to have moved from near bankruptcy to biliionairness.  Vis a vis his golf adventures, whether he "makes" or "loses" $25 million/year on Drumbeg, Balmedie, Turnberry. etc. over the next decade or two is peanuts to him.  He ain't no financial dummy, unlike the other candidates in the current Presidential race......

Indeed, according to what I've read, The Donald used a legal loophole to claim a huge personal loss for one of his companies going bankrupt, that he could use as a tax credit to offset up to $50 million per year of earnings, for many years starting in 1995.  The actual loser was the bank who forgave the loan to a bankrupt company, but Trump got the deduction.  [The rule has since been changed.]

Likewise, if Trump is making money in his real estate businesses today -- as I assume he is but don't know of course -- then he can charge the losses from his golf businesses against those earnings.  I think he doesn't care so much if the golf businesses lose a bit of money ... they generate enormous free publicity for him that he thinks helps out his other business.

I am sympathetic to the idea that Americans should be voting for "none of the above" this year, and that the whole system needs a massive shake-up.  The sad part is, I believe that a third-party candidate would get serious support this year, if they were included in the debates etc., but the media and the major parties have conspired to keep them in the dark as much as possible, and to convince us we HAVE to vote R or D in order to stop the monster on the other side.  If everybody who hates them both believed their vote for a third party would make a real difference, the third party candidate might just win ... which is why there two third-party candidates to split the vote this year, just to make sure neither of them is considered "serious".

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #855 on: October 13, 2016, 01:12:55 PM »
Check out the Harper's article on how that bastion of beltway liberalism, the Washington Post, made sure to mock Bernie Sanders every step of the way.  Within the currently political spectrum, he might as well have been a third party candidate...though something akin to what, as a kid, I thought being a Democrat was all about! 
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 01:16:08 PM by Peter Pallotta »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #856 on: October 13, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »
The "loophole" is not a loophole, it is a legitimate legal deduction. Companies use it all the time and it can only be used to offset future earnings. No different than any other legal deduction
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Thomas Dai

« Reply #857 on: October 13, 2016, 01:49:04 PM »

Anyone know what the position is viz-a-viz UK/Scottish and Irish Republic taxes?

Atb

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #858 on: October 13, 2016, 02:35:03 PM »
He's leveraged to the ears

With Russian money.

Trump is in the pocket of the Russians. Why do you think he's so chummy with Putin?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #859 on: October 13, 2016, 02:35:18 PM »
?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 09:35:35 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #860 on: October 13, 2016, 04:51:47 PM »

Just when you thought it couldn't get any sadder (or weirder) Trump manages to trump himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37642639

Would be ironic if he ends up paying out compensation for indecent actions ::)

Jon

Mike Hendren

« Reply #861 on: October 13, 2016, 05:21:00 PM »
Deleted for the man from Stonehaven.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:50:17 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Kalen Braley

« Reply #862 on: October 13, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
Bogey,

Why are you so against making America Great Again!??

Yours truly,

Donnie Trump

Mike Hendren

« Reply #863 on: October 13, 2016, 06:10:40 PM »
Deleted for the man from Stonehaven.

Apologies.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 12:51:10 PM by Michael H »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #864 on: October 13, 2016, 06:41:36 PM »
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 07:31:44 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #865 on: October 14, 2016, 02:18:58 AM »
So, a thread about a Scottish Golf Course has now been turned into a discussion on US Politics ?

Would it not be better taking it to a forum that discusses such subjects, so you can do it with like minded people ?

Surely those of us, that are sick to the back teeth of having this election shoved down our throats, can get a break from it here, please.

What a sad state of affairs this forum is nowadays   :(

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #866 on: October 14, 2016, 03:44:39 AM »
So, a thread about a Scottish Golf Course has now been turned into a discussion on US Politics ?

Would it not be better taking it to a forum that discusses such subjects, so you can do it with like minded people ?

Surely those of us, that are sick to the back teeth of having this election shoved down our throats, can get a break from it here, please.

Brian,

its the Donald effect I'm afraid.

Jon

Tim Leahy

« Reply #867 on: October 14, 2016, 06:21:52 AM »
When Trump gets trounced on election day he will inevitably revert back to his golf businesses where he can hide from the public behind his private club gates.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #868 on: October 14, 2016, 06:46:53 AM »

Brian, I think you are correct and I apologize. Sadly, the two subjects are connected as it has been discussed here extensively how DT has impacted the golf business. If you were here, you would see just how vile and toxic his candidacy has become.
Cheers,
Ian
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:49:25 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #869 on: October 14, 2016, 06:52:45 AM »
When Trump gets trounced on election day he will inevitably revert back to his golf businesses where he can hide from the public behind his private club gates.

I have actually removed Facebook from my phone till after the election because of the craziness, but you sucked me in :)

I have lived in the same town as Donald Trump for 26+ years now and I am pretty sure this guy is not hiding from anyone at anytime. When he dies, I have to admit, it will be interesting to watch the funeral. Based on his current girth and eating habits, I would not look for him to be #1 in life expectancy!!

Still waiting for Mike Bloomberg to run....

This will all be contemplated today with Dr Gene in his dentist chair and then his golf course!! 60 degrees, no cavities, and smooth greens at Raynor-redo in Southampton. Life is good :)
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Steve Burrows

« Reply #870 on: October 14, 2016, 10:00:38 AM »
Ten years from now, Donald Trump will look a reporter straight in the eye and say, "I never ran for President."
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Mike Wagner

« Reply #871 on: October 14, 2016, 12:53:39 PM »
Ten years from now, Donald Trump will look a reporter straight in the eye and say, "I never ran for President."

Will you accept bets on this comment?  I'll take whatever you're willing and we'll set a pay-off date 10 years from now.  How much?

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #872 on: October 14, 2016, 01:32:57 PM »
My guess, and it's far from an original thought, is that - come January 1st (or shortly thereafter) - there will be a new cable TV network: TRUMP TV.

Roger Ailes  -Executive Producer
Steve Bannon - Executive Director
Donald J. Trump - CEO

Will challenge FOX News and "the Blaze" and will acquire Breitbart.com as their online presence.

THEN - back to golf and this thread (Brian...;-) - Trump will start selling his golf properties as he will see a downward revenue trend because just the mere mention of his name brings the clear connotation of: Loud, orange, extreme douche-bag.

This entire election exercise is a taxpayer and media-funded bootstrapped product launch for his new enterprise and he will think he will have the last laugh....until he sees the Trump Organization P&L at the end of FY 2017.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #873 on: October 14, 2016, 02:40:40 PM »
"and I never grabbed a p_ssy."  LOL.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #874 on: October 14, 2016, 03:13:19 PM »

Just when you thought it couldn't get any sadder (or weirder) Trump manages to trump himself.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-37642639

Would be ironic if he ends up paying out compensation for indecent actions ::)

Jon

The interesting quote here is that he lost just under 1.1 million pounds in 2015 on Trump Aberdeen.

Mark Cuban tweeted out that his brand is now toast.

If so, there will be a fire sale at some point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back