News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

Re: Trump International Golf Links
« Reply #825 on: June 25, 2016, 09:06:08 PM »
He's a short-fingered vulgarian who wants an important office but has precious little interest in getting informed about the major issues that regularly confront our President. This last spiel about the early effects of the Brexit is but one example of his modus operandi.  Say something brash. Claim that you saw it coming. Assert your complete mastery of the topic while saying ABSOLUTELY NOTHING of true substance. Makes me ashamed to be an American.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joe Hancock

« Reply #826 on: June 25, 2016, 09:12:40 PM »
Terry,

Is it Trump that makes you feel ashamed, or the system that allows these two major party candidates to rise to the top, or is it the people who actually did the voting? There's options to being here.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Terry Lavin

« Reply #827 on: June 25, 2016, 09:25:22 PM »
I'm ashamed that there are millions of Americans who actually voted for this charlatan. I'm disgusted that people of alleged substance like Paul Ryan have endorsed him. It sickens me that the level of discourse has gone right into the gutter because of this cipher.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Joe Hancock

« Reply #828 on: June 25, 2016, 11:21:21 PM »
Terry,

I hear you and agree that there is a lot of fleecing going on. I wish I had a better way to feel good about voting, but as is I am very mixed about that privilege.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Charles Lund

« Reply #829 on: June 25, 2016, 11:52:06 PM »
He exuded everything there is about the stereotypic ugky American with cameras rolling at Turnberry yesterday.  The comments about the great day and the UK leaving the EEU showed no appreciation of the fact that Scotland voted by a large margin to remain.   He didn't understand that the earlier referendum results were based on Scotland wishing assurance the UK would remain in the UK.

He is supposed to go to Doonbeg soon, which is in the Republic.  Northern Ireland voted on Brexit in the same direction as Scotland.  So they may move toward independence from the U.K.

It is clear that he does not listen to or consult advisors for information.  He is oblivious to subtlety and nuance, reaffirming the accuracy of George Will's reference to him as a "bloviating ignoramus."

I visited Aberdeen in 2010 and played Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, and Cruden Bay.  I would play all three again.  I have no interest in playng his course.

I played Doonbeg in 2009 and have been back to Ireland eight additional times.  My interest in returning diminished in 2014 when he picked up the property out of receivership. 

I have played over 140 different courses outside of North America and close to 200 diiferent courses in the U.S. in the past ten years.   I have not played a Trump course and don't aspire to. 

I can recall seeing him on the Golf Channel when they covered a course he was working on in New Jersey.  He was insisting it would be better than Pine Valley. 

What a colossal jerk he is. 

I consider myself fortunate to have found a way to be gone overseas for so much time playing golf.  I am hoping the November election doesn't turn me into an expat.

Charles Lund

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #830 on: June 26, 2016, 02:30:31 AM »
Charles,

just to clear up a couple of points. Firstly, there is no EEU only the EU though this did used to be the EEC before it morphed into the EU. Had Scotland voted for independence in 2014 it would not have had any prospect of joining the EU hence what was said at that time. It was not a promise for staying in the EU forever though some are trying to misrepresent it as such at the moment and I suspect in the future.

Secondly, the vote was a UK one and for better or worse it is the result of the whole UK that is the only one that counts. Again, I suspect in hindsight Cameron wishes there had been a clause where all four parts had to agree to leave for this to be the result. Still David and co have turned out not to be the brightest bulbs in the box ::)

Thirdly, it is very likely that the EU will not want an independent Scotland as a member as it will be another country that will take more out than it puts in.

Just for the record I was always very pro EU and though the appalling remain campaign almost beat me into voting out I did still vote to remain. The fact that the UK has voted to leave has nothing to do with the brexit campaign and everything to do with the negative, nasty and bullying campaign of remain coupled with a labour party that couldn't break wind after a curry and a total lack of interest up in Scotland.

Interesting to note that Junker can't get us out the door fast enough but Angela seems keen for us to tarry a while for a chat. Now which won is the leader of something on the edge of bankruptcy and disorder and which is leading a well organised, successful enterprise?

Trump was just great today just a shame there was no kilt in a Trump tartan ;D

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #831 on: June 26, 2016, 08:49:28 AM »
Charles

I might add to Jon's comment that in the first referendum regarding independence there were various factors for deciding one way or the other. Voting No to Independence just so you can stay in Europe might have been one reason for a lot of folk although frankly it seems bizarre to me and I can't recall it being one of the main reasons given for voters before the referendum.

However after the referendum you had the losing parties trying rationalise away what went wrong (ie. re-invent history). That happened then and it's happening this time as well.

Niall

Charles Lund

« Reply #832 on: June 26, 2016, 10:32:16 AM »
Thanks for the clarifications from the last two posters.

I noticed a couple of typos.  That's part of the hazard of typing on this tablet, with fingertips a bit larger than what works for correct typing.  Also think I made at least one proofreading error.

It does seem that some of the coverage here is focusing on the what ifs related to the Scotland and Northern Ireland sentiments on Brexit.  I just got back from Donegal and the local coverage on the Brexit vote focused on the potential for the return of border crossings.  Seemless travel from Dublin to the north of Donegal is a plus for that area.  Questions about checkpoints for the ferry across Lough Foyle and the need for passports were part of the discussion.

Then, there is the reactivation of old memories from The Troubles.

Within the Republic, there was much discussion of how  a Brexit vote to leave would impact trade for Ireland.

Trump was pretty much lacking in appreciation of the complexity of the issues.

Charles Lund

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #833 on: June 26, 2016, 11:12:36 AM »
Charles,

I think in reference to the border question with NI and ROI. If neither side are worried about controlling the border then I suspect it will not happen. It used to surprise me how when you left an EU and entered a none EU country there was very rarely any sort of control. However, it is no longer a problem as it seems that the UK government needs the approval of the Scottish parliament  which Nicola says will not happen. What a strange world we live in that an SNP first minister will force the UK to stay together and in Europe against the will of the majority UK voters. ;)

Jon

Niall C

« Reply #834 on: June 27, 2016, 05:01:40 AM »
Jon

Listening to Radio Scotland this morning as I drove into work and they had a QC on to advise on the notion that they need the Scottish Parliament consent to leave the EU. Supposedly on to give a professional and impartial opinion he made it clear in no uncertain terms that he was pro EU but even so he suggested the Scottish Government really don't have much of a case.

Charles

The interesting thing about this referendum was that all the leaders of the various political parties with the obvious exception of UKIP were against leaving the EU. In the Westminster Parliament between 75/80% of MP's were against leaving and you have to believe in the Scottish Parliament there was even more MSP's against. In addition various leaders from other countries warned against it including Obama, and despite this the public voted to leave. 

Now you have politicians of every party just about endeavouring to find ways to go against the democratic wishes of the people of the UK. Makes you proud to live in a democracy  ::) .

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #835 on: June 27, 2016, 06:06:04 AM »
Niall,

my comment was not really meant in any serious way hence the smiley. I suspect what was commented on the radio is the case and it would be either very brave or gross stupidity for the SNP to try to scupper Brexit in this way as it would be effectively say that there would be no case for the SNP to hold an independence referendum as it does not believe in upholding the result of them though many would say that was the case after the last one. Having said that it would be ironic if the whole thing were taken through the courts ending up with the European court ruling on who had the right to do what ;)

Jon

jeffwarne

« Reply #836 on: June 27, 2016, 08:01:10 AM »
He exuded everything there is about the stereotypic ugky American with cameras rolling at Turnberry yesterday.  The comments about the great day and the UK leaving the EEU showed no appreciation of the fact that Scotland voted by a large margin to remain.   He didn't understand that the earlier referendum results were based on Scotland wishing assurance the UK would remain in the UK.

He is supposed to go to Doonbeg soon, which is in the Republic.  Northern Ireland voted on Brexit in the same direction as Scotland.  So they may move toward independence from the U.K.

It is clear that he does not listen to or consult advisors for information.  He is oblivious to subtlety and nuance, reaffirming the accuracy of George Will's reference to him as a "bloviating ignoramus."

I visited Aberdeen in 2010 and played Royal Aberdeen, Murcar, and Cruden Bay.  I would play all three again.  I have no interest in playng his course.

I played Doonbeg in 2009 and have been back to Ireland eight additional times.  My interest in returning diminished in 2014 when he picked up the property out of receivership. 

I have played over 140 different courses outside of North America and close to 200 diiferent courses in the U.S. in the past ten years.   I have not played a Trump course and don't aspire to. 

I can recall seeing him on the Golf Channel when they covered a course he was working on in New Jersey.  He was insisting it would be better than Pine Valley. 

What a colossal jerk he is. 

I consider myself fortunate to have found a way to be gone overseas for so much time playing golf.  I am hoping the November election doesn't turn me into an expat.

Charles Lund

Spot on Charles and Terry.
What scares me is how many people voted for him and support him-blindly-as he has daily obvious missteps and brutally poor judgement.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Niall C

« Reply #837 on: June 27, 2016, 08:11:11 AM »
Jeff

You may be right about Trump, and I'm certainly no fan of the man, but having seen the contempt that politicians from all sides over here have shown for the public in the recent referendum and its aftermath, makes me think that the political elite need a good kicking now more than ever. Perhaps that is the same in the US and for good or for bad, Trump is perhaps the only person in a position to do that.

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #838 on: June 27, 2016, 03:36:30 PM »
I would agree with Niall in concept.

Here in the US, its pretty clear that the majority of folks, regardless of party affiliation... are fed up with a system that has failed them for quite awhile now.  I certainly don't condone those voting for Trump as he would be a disaster, but I can at least understand the frustration of where they are coming from.

Trump is no doubt a demagogue, but he has tapped into his base very effectively....

Jud_T

« Reply #839 on: June 27, 2016, 08:24:19 PM »

Here in the US, its pretty clear that the majority of folks, regardless of party affiliation... are fed up with a system that has failed them for quite awhile now.  I certainly don't condone those voting for Trump as he would be a disaster, but I can at least understand the frustration of where they are coming from.

Trump is no doubt a demagogue, but he has tapped into his base very effectively....

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, his base is only about 25% of the population.  Virtually everyone else thinks he's an orange turd. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 08:28:35 PM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Kalen Braley

« Reply #840 on: June 28, 2016, 03:34:37 PM »

Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, his base is only about 25% of the population.  Virtually everyone else thinks he's an orange turd.

In almost every other recent election year, I would agree here.

But given the almost equal disdain and abysmal approval ratings for HRC, I'd say he has a better than expected shot at pulling it off in November.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #841 on: June 28, 2016, 04:39:12 PM »
"Mrs. Clinton led Mr. Trump by 46% to 41% when voters were asked which of the two they favored. Mrs. Clinton led by only a single point, 39% to 38%, when voters could also choose Mr. Johnson or Ms. Stein."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/poll-finds-opening-for-third-party-candidates-as-clinton-trump-remain-unpopular/ar-AAhGzUb?li=BBnbcA1

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #842 on: June 29, 2016, 03:25:14 AM »
...... Sigh !

Jud_T

« Reply #843 on: June 29, 2016, 04:27:43 PM »
Sounds like a gentleman's wager is an order....Shall we say a round of golf at a mutually agreed upon non-Trump owned property?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #844 on: October 12, 2016, 04:11:29 PM »

Looks like Donald might not be paying any tax for a few years more ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-business-37633524

To be fair last year was a tough season.

Jon

Kalen Braley

« Reply #845 on: October 12, 2016, 10:02:56 PM »
It appears Hillarys campaign got at least one thing right by saving the release of that damaging clip to this close to the election.  Given trumps massive drop in the polls, when it was previously a coin flip... i'm not sure there is enough time to recover.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #846 on: October 13, 2016, 02:16:19 AM »
...... Sigh !

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #847 on: October 13, 2016, 09:10:58 AM »
Sorry, I just can't resist as this has been a topic of conversation here in Chicago.

I agree with Mark Cuban's assessment of the US election: at the end, "Donald Trump will lose and then will be bankrupt in 7 years."

Simple math: His new base - disgruntled, older, working class white males - simply cannot afford ANY of Trump's products. Clubs, hotels, resorts, clothes, etc.

Meanwhile, his targeted customer base - affluent, college-educated professionals - are repelled by his alarming comportment.
While he can go on with his circus of misfits (his campaign staff, not his supporters), he will end up paying a price in his pocket as his assets are becoming toxic with the very demographic he covets.

Couple that with the general state of the game as discussed here ad infinitum, and it may well end up being true.
Just look at these stats on Trump Aberdeen from Ru MacDonanald who plays out of Cruden Bay and runs the savvy "Scottish Golf Podcast":[size=inherit]3h[/size][/font][size=inherit][/color]scottishgolfpodcastDonald Trump's golf course in Scotland has made a loss in every year since it opened.💸
-$1.33m📆2015
-$1.38m📆2014
-$2.22m📆2013
-$2.12m📆2012
Trump International Golf Links, Aberdeen

[/size][/font][/size]

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #848 on: October 13, 2016, 09:39:09 AM »
Ian -- I make no comment on Trump's future business prospects, but with respect to his Aberdeen golf course, it has always been abundantly clear that it cannot make money on its own, they have spent too much on it.

The only way he ever gets a return from it is to build the hotel and the houses. That has always been the case, and it must surely have been factored into the business planning.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #849 on: October 13, 2016, 11:03:34 AM »
I was just searching various websites including the courses own one and am struggling to establish what the daily greenfees are at Balmedie these days. I appreciate there are probably several rates depening on time of day and month etc but I wasn't able to find them. Perhaps my searching isn't what it could be or perhaps the figures that once were so readily available arn't anymore.

By the way, are they still operating with 15 min interval tee times and will the course close over the winter as previously?

Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back