News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: The Death of Great American Parkland Golf Course Design
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2012, 05:06:01 PM »
When I think Parkland....the courses that come to mind are courses like Wingfoote or SFGC.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
Tom MacWood may be correct - I'd venture to say that parkland courses didn't start off that way.

This goes back to my "Trees and Wealth" thread from a few weeks ago, where my theory was that members "back in the day" tried to increase the cachet/feeling of wealth for a club by planting trees.  In other words, the beautification movement to a large extent.

As an example, I've been told that Ross's Monroe in Rochester started life with almost no trees.  It's definitely "parkland" today due to early members planting trees all over the place; fortunately Hanse's work has really helped up there.  I'd hazard to say that Oak Hill is another wonderful course that became "parkland" after it opened.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2012, 05:10:46 PM »
Perhaps there needs to be a "style" for the rugged modern course that doesn't fit into other groupings. We've listed a few, but there are many more that don't look like a park in the style of the classics but also don't fit into any other categories. What about courses that are built on/around lakes/swamps? Carved out of rock? Just built on rugged land with a potentially walkable (not always) but not definitely not core routing? Might have homes on the periphery but wouldn't be overwhelmed with them...

I'm sure how one would classify something like The Honors Course in TN, but its not really a "park" setting the way I think of one. There are lots of these types of courses, some better than others. Off the top of my head...Dallas National, Pete Dye GC, Pikewood National, Longaberger, Cuscowilla, Rock Creek, Gozzer Ranch, Black Rock, Idaho Club, Colorado GC, Victoria National, Tullymore, Hudson National, The Alotian, and The Patriot.

Edit: Blackwolf Run River would be another good example.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:15:44 PM by Andy Troeger »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2012, 05:16:08 PM »
I think that what is going on here is that GCAs prefer to build on sand. When the sand gets built, those same GCAs will build on parkland. As it stands, lots of GCAs are still building on parkland. The Death of Parkland courses is much exaggerated.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »
Garland,
I think golf course architects will build a course on any land a client comes to them with.   With this economy, I really doubt many guys would turn down a well-paying job just because they'd be building on clay soil with trees around.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 10:36:49 PM »
Tom MacWood may be correct - I'd venture to say that parkland courses didn't start off that way.

This goes back to my "Trees and Wealth" thread from a few weeks ago, where my theory was that members "back in the day" tried to increase the cachet/feeling of wealth for a club by planting trees.  In other words, the beautification movement to a large extent.

As an example, I've been told that Ross's Monroe in Rochester started life with almost no trees.  It's definitely "parkland" today due to early members planting trees all over the place; fortunately Hanse's work has really helped up there.  I'd hazard to say that Oak Hill is another wonderful course that became "parkland" after it opened.

This was going to be my answer, too.  The 1930's aerial photos of SFGC show a bunch of small trees had just been planted, which are the Monterey pines and cypresses that are starting to die off now.

What has changed in the past 80 years is the demand for instant gratification.  Today's developers insist that the course look perfect ON OPENING DAY.  They don't want to plant a bunch of small oak trees and tell the prospective members how good the place is going to look in thirty or forty years.  So the architect can't really plan for that look ... he's got to make do with whatever is ALREADY THERE.

Meanwhile, if there are a lot of beautiful hardwood trees already there, then there is likely going to be someone around to tell you that you can't cut them all down -- or cut them down at all.  So you will have to find a property where the trees were planted years ago with just enough room between them for fairways.

Guess how often that happens?  Almost never.  One of the reasons I was so excited about our project near Madrid was that it was the rare piece of parkland property, with oak trees spaced at just the right distances to make a routing work.  But, the client recently gave back all the funds the potential members had placed in escrow -- I think out of fear that if the bank collapsed the members would hold him responsible for the loss.  They are looking to another funding model, but it's not going to get built soon.  :'(

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 11:00:08 PM »
My course in Princeton, NJ managed to have very few trees from 1902 to at least the late 1920's. After that a planting program was implemented. A parkland ensued.

Here in year 2012 the trees of 80 years ago are diseased and dying. Each winter we cull more diseased and inappropriate timber. The USGA also lends a helping hand and spurs us along.

Today I stood at a corner of our property on the former 18th green and was swept away looking out over the open landscape and huge land contours which were obscured by trees a year ago.

I cheer the death of Parkland! Yea to new open vistas!

Also, To Dan's point, I can think of so many courses where parkland has infringed to the point of the ridiculous. Playing corridors become way too narrow. Oak Hill East and Wykagyl come to mind immediately.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:13:26 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Phil McDade

« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012, 04:42:31 PM »
Bogey:

Just thought of this -- I think our own Ran considers this the very best parkland course built in the recent, modern era:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/the-golf-club-oh-usa/

Stephen Northrup

« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 05:16:33 PM »
Sadly the most notable recent development in Mid-Atlantic parkland golf was the closing of Beechtree in 2008.  If there are any quality parkland courses on the development horizon in this area, I am unaware of them.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 07:29:27 PM »
Steve - well said.

What are some parkland courses that have "reverted" to a more open feel?  To me, Oakmont is the poster child, and I LOVE the work done at Philly Cricket.

Phil McDade

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »
Steve - well said.

What are some parkland courses that have "reverted" to a more open feel?  To me, Oakmont is the poster child, and I LOVE the work done at Philly Cricket.

Dan:

Beverly and Flossmoor in Chicago have undergone significant tree-clearance efforts in recent years -- not on the order of Oakmont, and there are parts of each course that are still heavily treed. But -- the effort is there. Here's a look at a wonderful interior corridor at Flossmoor that spans the 16th, 17th and 18th fairways.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
Bogie the question might be the last great non parkland course built in the USA. I think there are new courses in Pinehurst and 2 at Streamsong being built or finished here lately. They are parkland courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back