News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Re: Fred Couples on the 17th hole at Fox Chapel
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
Some of what the commentators say is massive-ego driven; some is ignorance driven and more still is drama driven.

I find the same can be true around here.

These threads invariably devolve into wink wink nudging about how we're so much smarter about architecture than the average bear...but then we complain that the announcers don't discuss the architecture more? Sometimes these comments make me think of guys sitting around listening to scratchy blues records, ala Steve Buscemi in "Ghost World". The local DJ isn't going to trace a Rolling Stones song back to Charley Patton. Most people don't care. And if they did, it woud give people here less to feel smart about.

I'm just hoping those players keep it out of the big ditch on 17 this week.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 11:43:39 PM by JLahrman »

Mark Steffey

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2012, 11:08:37 PM »
yes Peter, but these players come on as a courtesy for the most part.  and while i'm sure guys who want to and really get into the design part of the game as they are winding down will draw back on things they've seen and courses they've played and maybe work things in when it hits their eye... but to these guys, at the end of the day - when they pipe a drive they want a flat lie in the fairway and be able to hit a spot on the green that will give them a straight uphill putt for birdie, right?!? :)

thus while guys like us have fun playing and enjoy the experience, it's work to norman and the likes.

so while i may stand over my drive on the 7th at Ekwanok and marvel at the prospects for my 2nd, these guys would wonder wtf is going on here!!!

Cory Brown

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 12:53:07 AM »
I watched a good portion of the telecast yesterday and most of today and have not heard the name Seth Raynor mentioned. Has anyone heard Raynor mentioned?

Better yet, when was the last time you heard the course architect mentioned on a broadcast?

The architect? I can barely remember the last time I have heard the name of the golf course.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 05:50:52 PM »
They mentioned Raynor by name at the beginning of the telecast on Thursday.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2012, 10:13:55 PM »
Lanny actually did a piece on the Biarritz today. Walked from the bottom of the swale to the front shelf, and mentioned that the original hole was in France.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2012, 04:53:03 PM »
Peter Kostis and the rest of CBS were just raving about Macdonald and Raynor. Even mentioned Biarritz and Redans. Kostis lamenting the fact that more courses are not built like Old White because the player has to think his way around the course. I think Kostis may have been hanging out on this site!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
Screw 'em.  It's their loss.  We're the lucky ones.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Nigel Islam

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2012, 05:39:51 PM »
Kostis just asked, "How many players in this field know this hole is patterned after the 15th at North Berwick?"

PThomas

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 11:31:13 AM »
someone said Watson was out there taking pictures
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back