News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

SL_Solow

Re: Melvyn Hunter Morrow
« Reply #75 on: June 28, 2012, 05:21:07 PM »
I find it a little ironic how the focus of this thread has changed.  We are now engaged in a relatively civilized discussion of some of the issues which our departed Melvyn raised at every juncture while at the same time making it impossible to have a dialogue.  Why is that the case?  Because in almost every circumstance, shortly after Melvyn perceived that someone failed to agree with his point of view, he resorted to ad hominem attacks and the ability to exchange real ideas was lost.  While some responded in kind, others just refused to participate.  Hence many interesting threads were stifled by Melvyn's preoccupation with turning almost every discussion into a lament for what might have been and a referendum on his own distorted view of the game.

That is why my friend Bob Huntley was more than justified in calling Melvyn out.  Understand, neither Bob nor most of us on this site were in favor of censoring Melvyn's views.  But when an individual refuses to respect the views of others, resorts to personal insults at the drop of a hat, and merely repeats the same arguments over and over without any adjustment for any other point of view, he is not contributing to an exchange of information.  That is why his purported reason for leaving, his inability to find meaningful debate, is laughable.  Melvyn never debated anyone; in the spirit of the famed Monty Python skit, he engaged in contradiction.  There is a difference.  Bob recognized the difference and said so.  Melvyn couldn't respond and retired.  So much for wanting to debate.  I suppose that Melvyn's defenders see no contradiction in excusing Melvyn's perpetual personal attacks while blasting Bob for identifying Melvyn for what he is.  If we lose some historical information that is too bad but for me the price was way to high.  I would welcome Melvyn back but not if his behaviour remains unchanged.  I get paid to debate issues with others and if the other side is unpleasant, I endure it on behalf of my clients and because it is my job.  But there is no similar duty nor is there a pecuniary incentive to put up with that type of nonsense here; a place that is designed to be a discussion group among friends.

I have addressed the substantive issues numerous times.  My view is that there comes a time when a game can be viewed as mature and any significant tinkering with rules or equipment can endanger the sport, at least at the highest levels.  In baseball, 90 foot bases have always worked.  Wooden bats work, the college game is worse for aluminum.  But the mound used to be much shorter, doctoring the ball was legal, the ball was less lively.  Those changes balanced the game and the rulesmakers have only tinkered.  Basketball eliminated the center jump after each basket, instituted the goal tending rule, widened the lane which made the 3 second rule relevant, brought the shot clock to the pros and then to colleges and brought in the 3 point rule.  by the way, the ball has changed significantly.

American Football?  Start with the shape of the ball. Add the introduction of the forward pass.  Try out 2 platoon football which required rule changes regarding substitution. Recent changes in the rules on holding have made a significant difference Those are only fundamental changes.  Additionally, changes in helmets and pads have changed the techniques used by players.

Changes in tennis are comparable and relate to equipment as the rules remain largely unchanged except for the tiebreaker. Larger headed, better balanced rackets have made it possible to use western grips which produce greater topspin and harder baselins shots.  This has changed the balance of the game virtually eliminating the serve and volley, even on grass.

So the suggestion that other sports have remained unchanged is factually incorrect.  The question remains, have the equipment changes in golf been good for the game and/or its architecture?  I submit that question is in part answered by your cut off date.  For me, the worst impact has been on the architecture as wonderful old courses have been rendered less relevant for the top players because of the distance increases attributable to equipment.  This has led to greater expense and longer rounds.  but I suspect putting the genie back in the bottle will be well nigh impossible.  So for me, while I think the game was better when the ball didn't go as far for a variety of reasons, my focus is forward.  I hope that the powers that be can try to "freeze " the game where it is recognizing that the game isat the least "mature" and needs no major changes.  A roll back would be nice but unexpected.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:13:04 PM by SL_Solow »

Dan King

« Reply #76 on: June 28, 2012, 05:39:33 PM »
David_Tepper writes:
Assuming they are maintaining pace of play and treating the course with respect, why should I care if the group in front of or behind me (let alone on a course in another city, state or country) is walking or riding, using a rangefinder or a course guide or playing with hickory clubs. It is certainly no business of mine how they choose to enjoy the game. I cannot imagine why anyone should worry about how I choose to do so..

I have no concern for how you play golf. I might make fun of it now and then because I think it is an inferior form of the game, but I do the same with people who play according to USGA/R&A rules. I don't much care how you play the game, until it effects how I play the game. There is little to no doubt that cartball and distance devices have slowed down the game. There is no doubt that many courses are poorly designed for golf, because they rely on carts to get the players from hole to hole. I have no doubt that courses are much uglier with cart paths than without.

I think Americanized golf is vastly inferior to golf. But if you David want to play Americanized golf, I might make fun of you, but I'm not stopping you. I might claim you prefer Americanized golf because you have trouble thinking on the course and want to play a game that requires less thought.

When I laugh at you and call your game cartball, have I really done anything to change how you play the game?  Do you really think that highly of my opinion?

Cheers,
Dan King
There is not the slightest doubt in my own mind that golf as playedin the United States is the slowest in the world.
 --Henry Longhurst
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:43:31 PM by Dan King »

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #77 on: June 28, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
Referring to memory, Bill Gates also said that "640K ought to be enough for anybody"

The world is constantly changing and evolving.  Either keep up, or go the way of Melvyn....

Kalen,

That's a stupid statement.
What have other sports done?
Has baseball gotten rid of the sewn together ball to replace it with a solid ball?
Have the major leagues abandoned the wooden bat?
Have American and foreign football increased the performance of their footballs so they can be kicked farther?
Has basketball replaced the leather ball?
Have chess pieces been granted new powers?
Have springboards been added to the high jump, pole vault, long, and triple jump runways?
Have basketball courts been changed in size?
Has baseball lengthened the base paths? The distance from mound to plate?
Has football increased the size of the field?
Do basketball players use distance measuring devises to shoot?
Do Am. football quarterback use distance measuring devises to throw passes?
Do basketball players use segways?
Does any sport beside golf use segways?

Garland,
Point #1--Perhaps you've heard of the dead ball-live ball eras in baseball.  Inarguably a HUGE equipment change that altered the way the game was played in a most basic way.
Point #2--ONLY the professional leagues (and a few summer tournaments and leagues for amateurs) still use the wood bat, and many, many wood bats are now maple instead of ash.  Talk to some baseball players about the differences.
Point #3--Yes, the football has changed to make both passing and kicking easier.  In fact, I believe that the NFL uses a different ball on place kicks than they do for other plays.
Point #4--Yes, basketball has replaced the leather ball.  All official balls from the NBA on down are now synthetic.  They are not only far less expensive and much more durable, but they are far easier to handle, pass and shoot.  Much of what you see players doing today with a ball, including dunks, would be much more difficult if not impossible with the much slicker leather ball of days gone by.
Point #6--Poles for pole vaulting become lighter, stronger, and springier constantly.
Points #7, 8, and 9--Completely irrelevant, since no two golf courses were ever the same dimensions in the first place, and still aren't.
Points #10 and 11--Yes; basketball players judge EVERY shot by markings on the court that help them determine distance from the basket, and QB's look at yard markers and first down markers as they throw.  Watch a shooter step back behind the line to make sure it is a 3 pt. attempt, or a football team run an out pattern to the first down marker.

And so we're left with chess pieces NOT having new powers and segways not being used in basketball (though wheelchair basketball is commonplace.)  Congratulations on getting 2 out of 12 analogies about change in sport correct.  That's actually better than your average in these threads; keep up the good work. ;)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 05:43:05 PM by A.G._Crockett »
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bill Seitz

« Reply #78 on: June 28, 2012, 05:44:20 PM »
I suppose I just never understood why Melvyn got all bent out of shape about carts and distance aids, yet I never saw the same emotional outcry against graphite shafts, 460cc drivers, balls that fly forever, and other technological advances.  Not to say he wasn't against those as well, but with all of the advancements in golf technology, the introduction of carts has probably had the least impact on the actual playing of the game, which is to say, actually getting the ball from the tee into the hole.  They've certainly changed the way courses are built, and I don't think anyone would argue otherwise.  

But when it come striking the ball off a tee and putting it into the hole, the clubs and balls are pretty important elements.  Carts vs. feet is just an argument over transportation.  And I say that as someone who just walked 160 holes over the course of about 48 hours.  For me, that's what cost him credibility.  The idea that if you are riding, you are playing a game that doesn't deserve to even be called "Golf", that just doesn't make any sense to me.  

Garland Bayley

« Reply #79 on: June 28, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
Points #10 and 11--Yes; basketball players judge EVERY shot by markings on the court that help them determine distance from the basket, and QB's look at yard markers and first down markers as they throw. ...

I'm sorry, but you have now lost all credibility of being a basketball expert.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
Points #10 and 11--Yes; basketball players judge EVERY shot by markings on the court that help them determine distance from the basket, and QB's look at yard markers and first down markers as they throw. ...

Really?  So Tim Duncan is just as likely to shoot a three than be on the low block because he doesn't know how far he is from the basket?  Ray Allen doesn't spot up on the arc all game every game?  Coaches don't tell players where to cut and what shots to look for using the markings of the court?  Practicing free throws isn't done from the EXACT same spot each time by checking the floor first, not to mention the nail in the floor where most shooter position their front foot?  Really?

Dude, admit it.  You used lousy analogies, whether it was because you were in a hurry, or didn't think, or don't know any better.  But to think that those are good examples of other sports being static while golf changes helter skelter is just silly.  Get over it.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mark Pearce

« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2012, 05:55:19 PM »
She could have done anything with me she wanted.
 I meant to type central heat.
I thought your first post was a joke and not a bad one.

This worries me.  You're not actually serious, are you?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2012, 06:00:36 PM »

Really?  So Tim Duncan is just as likely to shoot a three than be on the low block because he doesn't know how far he is from the basket?  Ray Allen doesn't spot up on the arc all game every game?  Coaches don't tell players where to cut and what shots to look for using the markings of the court?  Practicing free throws isn't done from the EXACT same spot each time by checking the floor first, not to mention the nail in the floor where most shooter position their front foot?  Really?

Dude, admit it.  You used lousy analogies, whether it was because you were in a hurry, or didn't think, or don't know any better.  But to think that those are good examples of other sports being static while golf changes helter skelter is just silly.  Get over it.

Facts have never gotten in Garland's way. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #83 on: June 28, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »

Really?  So Tim Duncan is just as likely to shoot a three than be on the low block because he doesn't know how far he is from the basket?  Ray Allen doesn't spot up on the arc all game every game?  Coaches don't tell players where to cut and what shots to look for using the markings of the court?  Practicing free throws isn't done from the EXACT same spot each time by checking the floor first, not to mention the nail in the floor where most shooter position their front foot?  Really?

Dude, admit it.  You used lousy analogies, whether it was because you were in a hurry, or didn't think, or don't know any better.  But to think that those are good examples of other sports being static while golf changes helter skelter is just silly.  Get over it.

I can't believe you would argue this. Players judge their shot by looking at the basket! PERIOD. They might position themselves on the floor to take advantage of the 3 point rule, but that is not how they judge their shot. The might position themselves exactly the same on the free throw line to bolster their confidence, but that is not how they judge their shot.

If they judged their shot based on floor position, they would be lucky to make 2%, because the game is fast enough they can seldom know accurately enough where they are to fit the ball through the rim.

Next you are going to tell me good putters are good, because they know every inch of the green.

EDIT: Gotta wonder why all those coaches pursue those kids that learn their game on the street playing unmarked asphalt courts.
Here's an experiment for you. Blindfold a player, line him up directly with the basket. Tell him exactly where he is down to the millimeter. Have him shoot. Now take the same unblindfolded player to a hoop in the middle of some completely unmarked surface and have him shoot. I think we both know how that is going to turn out.
Yes, I know that now I'm just piling on.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:28:02 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

« Reply #84 on: June 28, 2012, 06:37:30 PM »
I'm kinda bummed that MM isn't around to give us an earful on the dangers of ponds on the course....

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/28/12459803-resort-11-year-old-girl-electrocuted-at-mini-golf-course-in-florida?lite/

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #85 on: June 28, 2012, 06:45:19 PM »
This thread explains why you have a kid's table at Thanksgiving.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #86 on: June 28, 2012, 07:26:30 PM »
She could have done anything with me she wanted.
 I meant to type central heat.
I thought your first post was a joke and not a bad one.

This worries me.  You're not actually serious, are you?
I try not to be and stop calling me  serious. Or else I will start a " why I love Merion" thread.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #87 on: June 28, 2012, 08:47:11 PM »

Really?  So Tim Duncan is just as likely to shoot a three than be on the low block because he doesn't know how far he is from the basket?  Ray Allen doesn't spot up on the arc all game every game?  Coaches don't tell players where to cut and what shots to look for using the markings of the court?  Practicing free throws isn't done from the EXACT same spot each time by checking the floor first, not to mention the nail in the floor where most shooter position their front foot?  Really?

Dude, admit it.  You used lousy analogies, whether it was because you were in a hurry, or didn't think, or don't know any better.  But to think that those are good examples of other sports being static while golf changes helter skelter is just silly.  Get over it.

I can't believe you would argue this. Players judge their shot by looking at the basket! PERIOD. They might position themselves on the floor to take advantage of the 3 point rule, but that is not how they judge their shot. The might position themselves exactly the same on the free throw line to bolster their confidence, but that is not how they judge their shot.

If they judged their shot based on floor position, they would be lucky to make 2%, because the game is fast enough they can seldom know accurately enough where they are to fit the ball through the rim.

Next you are going to tell me good putters are good, because they know every inch of the green.

EDIT: Gotta wonder why all those coaches pursue those kids that learn their game on the street playing unmarked asphalt courts.
Here's an experiment for you. Blindfold a player, line him up directly with the basket. Tell him exactly where he is down to the millimeter. Have him shoot. Now take the same unblindfolded player to a hoop in the middle of some completely unmarked surface and have him shoot. I think we both know how that is going to turn out.
Yes, I know that now I'm just piling on.

Garland,
I do admire your ability to endlessly come up with absurd comparisons, analogies, and "examples".

I won't compare the markings on a basketball court to knowing "every inch" of a green.  Your analogies were dopey in the first place, which was my point.  Thanks for helping me make it.

Basketball coaches don't recruit on unmarked playgrounds; you're dreaming.  They recruit in gyms at AAU tournaments, summer camps, and high school games.  All of THOSE courts, btw, have the exact same lines.  That's one reliable aspect of basketball, along with no changes in elevation and no wind, that make it essentially uniform from court to court.  Unlike golf...

So you used no changes in equipment and no dependence on knowing distance accurately in baseball, football, and basketball as some sort of justification for something you don't like about modern golf, though I suspect you both use relatively modern equipment AND somehow know yardages when you play anyway.  But the simple fact is that equipment in those other sports HAS changed, both frequently and essentially, and in many cases players in those sports DO rely on knowledge of distance.

Look, either do a better job thinking out your comparisons, or don't compare stuff that you don't know much about.  I don't know which of those applies to you, but one of them sure does.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #88 on: June 28, 2012, 09:37:16 PM »

Basketball coaches don't recruit on unmarked playgrounds; you're dreaming.  They recruit in gyms at AAU tournaments, summer camps, and high school games.  All of THOSE courts, btw, have the exact same lines.  That's one reliable aspect of basketball, along with no changes in elevation and no wind, that make it essentially uniform from court to court.  Unlike golf...

Goodness knows how a "Goodbye to Mel" (Fat Baldy Drummer, I love it!!) thread evolved to this, but this was great article this week on one of the last great street/NBA players:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/sports/basketball/rod-strickland-coaches-young-stars-on-the-ways-of-the-nba.html?pagewanted=all

Strickland is part of a fading generation of players for whom the distance between street ball and the big stage was not so vast. He is reminiscent of the blues and jazz musicians once upon a generation, who learned and honed their craft more or less at the University of the Streets. Both processes have become more corporate, more standardized — blues and jazz taught in colleges for those who might have been learning on the street, and basketball barnstorming replaced by manicured Amateur Athletic Union competitions and workouts.

I played once against Stickland in the old "Cage" on 4th Street (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Fourth_Street_Courts) and he was the freakin man!

Needless to say, like most GCA fights, you are both a little right and both a little wrong. Walked by the 4th Street courts about 3 weeks ago and now it has banner ads and a bunch of freakin white guys!!

Scott Warren

« Reply #89 on: June 28, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
Mike,

I missed the W. 4th St playground the first time I went to NYC, so last year, I insisted to my wife that we had to go, told her how there was great basketball being played in this cage on the side of the road, it would be a really cool experience etc etc...

So we get down there and there's one 40yo white guy shooting the ball on his own, who in 10 shots didn't make one, and another guy with a tennis racquet hitting a ball against the wall.

My wife looked at me like I was a moron for having insisted on seeing this and suggested we go get some lunch!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #90 on: June 28, 2012, 09:55:37 PM »

So we get down there and there's one 40yo white guy shooting the ball on his own, who in 10 shots didn't make one,

That was me!  ;)

David_Tepper

« Reply #91 on: June 28, 2012, 10:45:58 PM »
Mike S. & Scott W. -

I have walked by that basketball court probably 100 times over the past 20 years. It is right by the entrance to the A, C & E (and other) subway lines. I had no idea that court was so significant. By the way, it is maybe 50 yards from where Gerde's Folk City (the club where Bob Dylan made his NYC debut) used to be and 30 yards from where the Blue Note (one of the great jazz clubs in the world) now is.

Scott - How did you hear about it?

DT

Scott Warren

« Reply #92 on: June 28, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »
David,

It may well have been from folks on this website, if I recall correctly. I think the suggestion was the courts up in Harlem were possibly better viewing, but that, all things considered, W. 4th St was probably a better bet.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2012, 11:44:40 AM »
Look, either do a better job thinking out your comparisons, or don't compare stuff that you don't know much about.  I don't know which of those applies to you, but one of them sure does.

How did your claim of my ignorance about golf ball regulation hold up on the other thread?
How does you analysis of the blindfolded player with perfect position information hold up against the sighted player with no position information but sight hold up? I notice you didn't take that one on.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2012, 04:31:34 PM »

How did your claim of my ignorance about golf ball regulation hold up on the other thread?
How does you analysis of the blindfolded player with perfect position information hold up against the sighted player with no position information but sight hold up? I notice you didn't take that one on.

As to the first, I had (and have) no idea what you were (are) referring to.  The regulations have been in place for a long, long time.  All that has happened is some good chemistry to allow a premium ball to behave like a Top Flite off the driver, and a wound ball off a wedge. 

As to the second point, it was so absurd that I just let it go.  But since you asked...

Nobody but you would think to ask the question of how a blindfolded player in ANY sport would do vs. a "sighted" player.  We both know the answer to that nonquestion.  Of course the real question is how the player with both sight AND information will perform vs the player with sight but no information, and that too is a no-brainer. 

And it isn't, of course, just golf.  In basketball, if the three point line was invisible to the players and a TV monitor with a line like the first down line in football was used to judge the distance of the shot, players would either "accidently" shoot 2's from inside the "line" OR move back to a sure 3 pt. distance and shoot a lower percentage.  That's why they get as close as they can to the line.  So knowledge of distance is in basketball, and not just for jump shooting.  Distance markings help with back to the basket moves, with defensive alignments, and on and on.  It is ignorance to argue otherwise.

John Keenan

« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2012, 04:51:17 PM »
WOW

Even when MHM is not posting or on the site he can still find a way to get people arguing.

This guy is good
The things a man has heard and seen are threads of life, and if he pulls them carefully from the confused distaff of memory, any who will can weave them into whatever garments of belief please them best.

David_Tepper

« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2012, 05:38:03 PM »
"Even when MHM is not posting or on the site he can still find a way to get people arguing."

John Keenan -

It does appear Garland B. is intent on filling the void of twisted logic and circular arguing formerly occupied by the now departed Mr. Spode.

It is pretty easy to do. Just ask questions and make statements comparing apples to oranges and then tell anyone who provides you with an answer you don't agree with that they are wrong! ;)

DT

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 05:55:08 PM by David_Tepper »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2012, 05:40:18 PM »
"Even when MHM is not posting or on the site he can still find a way to get people arguing."

John Keenan -"Even when MHM is not posting or on the site he can still find a way to get people arguing."

It does appear Garland B. is intent on filling the void of twisted logic and circular arguing formerly occupied by the now departed Mr. Spode.

It is pretty easy to do. Just ask questions and make statements comparing apples to oranges and then tell anyone who provides you with an answer you don't agree with that they are wrong! ;)

DT

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaah, mostly I just tell them they answered the wrong question. ;)

Patrick Mucci is my hero. ;)

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2012, 05:40:35 PM »
Nature abhors a vacuum!!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2012, 05:58:45 PM »

John Keenan -

DT

Garland's favorite tune is from Johnny Nash (yes, Nash), "There Are More Questions Than Answers".  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back