News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Essig

Before the photo tour starts, a little introduction.

Peter Jacobsen and Jim Hardy had 3 goals in mind when building the course:
1. Make the wind, which blows a lot there, more in play compared to Prospector and (sorry Tom) Tumble Creek.
2. Family friendly
3. Design some holes as half holes, or holes that play half a stroke, on average, higher or lower than what the par of the hole says.

I believe they were successful with all three.

The wind is a huge factor if not the biggest factor in play for the course because the tree-lined holes are almost non-existant.

There is always a way to bounce the ball in for youth and women who cannot get the ball airborne; however, this means missing left or right is very penal.

Tees:
Back (which are not put out during daily play; only during a US open qualifier, for example): 7271 yards
Blue: 6743 yards
White: 6223 yards
Gold: 5608 yards
Red: 5001 yards

All yardages listed during photo tour are to the center of the green.

Now on to the photo tour!!!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:10:19 AM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

David_Elvins

Thanks for the tour Matthew, looks excellent.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Matthew Essig

Hole 1 - par 5

Prevailing wind from the left off tee and behind on approach

Back: 531 yards
Blue: 504 yards
White: 485 yards
Gold: 440 yards
Red: 384 yards

The course starts right off the bat with a risk/reward par 5. The hole doglegs right around the massive bunker on the corner. OB is along the edge of the trees, so trying to cut the corner is very dangerous. You can still get home in two (if you are a great player) from the corner of the dogleg. The bunkers on the outside of the dogleg are not really reachable unless the wind turns slightly in your favor, which the prevailing wind can, or if you are a bomber.

From back tee box

From white tee box

The risk/reward portion of the hole is now clearly visible. The prevailing wind is now at your back and you have a big decision ahead of you. Bunkers short, right, and long and a water hazard that loves to gobble up balls left. When the wind is blowing like it usually is, but not today in my photo tour, you MUST land the ball short of the green to stop it, especially with a green that slopes toward you in the front and away from you in the back. The bunker short left is not as close to the green as it looks, about 15-20 yards short. The bunker right is also about 10 yards away from the green. The green is fairly flat. The layup area has no trouble, except the water left, so the lay up area is very inviting. It is a tough call. With the wind behind you and it being reachable even without the wind, I believe this hole is designed and plays like a half hole (half a stroke under par).

From the corner of the dogleg

From the inside of the dogleg, you can see that the bunker short-left isn't as close to the green as it appears. You can also see the fescue, which isn't that tall here, gobbles any shots off target, which becomes more of a problem later on.

From the inside of the dogleg

As I said, the bunkers are not that close to the green, which is visible from the layup area. Remember that the wind is behind, and even short pitches will have big hops and will try desperately not to spin.

From the layup area

The bank left of the green will send balls into the water, unless you get lucky and have your ball get caught up in the fescue or other plants. The picture flattens the slope, as in real life, the slope is steeper than it appears in the picture.

From back left of the green

A picture of the bunker that is behind and right of the green.

A picture from right of the green and behind the bunker on the right side of the green. As you can see, the green is very flat, with the front sloping towards the front and the back (about where the last rock to the right is across the water) sloping towards the back. The green also has a slight tilt towards the water.

The hole is probably a half hole with the hole playing half a stroke under par.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:45:58 PM by Matthew Essig »
"Good GCA should offer an interesting golfing challenge to the golfer not a difficult golfing challenge." Jon Wiggett

Matthew Essig

Hole 2 - par 3

Prevailing wind is helping from left from back tees and only from left from front tees

Back: 152 yards
Blue: 133 yards
White: 118 yards
Gold: 87 yards
Red: 87 yards

A VERY tricky little par 3. So tricky, that I believe what was designed as a half hole (under par) plays its par or higher. It is tricky for a few reasons. First, and the most obvious, is the water left. The rest are not obvious, which is why the hole is so tricky. The bunker short is extremely deep, but is about 7 or 8 yards short of the green. There is a bunker behind the green, catching any balls that float with the wind. The green slopes away from you in the front, which when combined with the wind, makes you land the ball short for a front hole location. The lowest part of the green is middle left. The tree seen left of the green really is left of the green. I have ended up behind it before. The last trick is the playing angles the tees give you.

Back/blue tee box

White tee box

Gold and Red tee boxes

A view of the back bunker and the green, which all slopes towards the middle left (from tee) part of the green.

Back bunker and view of green

As I said, a hole that plays as a half hole (under par) when the wind is not blowing and plays par or more when it is blowing.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:46:40 PM by Matthew Essig »

Michael Dugger

If I was playing here, following these first two holes, I wouldn't be able to stop wishing I was playing Tumble Creek instead.

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Matthew Essig

If I was playing here, following these first two holes, I wouldn't be able to stop wishing I was playing Tumble Creek instead.

While I love what Tom did at Tumble Creek (so much that I work there), playability-wise, I like Rope Rider better. For some reason, Rope Rider makes me think about where I should put the ball a little more than Tumble Creek.

Matthew Essig

Hole 3 - par 4

Prevailing wind is hurting from left

Back: 348 yards
Blue: 314 yards
White: 275 yards
Gold: 246 yards
Red: 212 yards

If you are over par, whether you went for 1 and hit it in the water or you got tripped up by the trickiness of 2, Peter and Jim give you one final chance to get off to a good start with a short, possibly even drivable, par 4. From the tee, you can only see the flag, not the flagstick, as the aiming bunker blocks your view of the green and the bunkers that surround the green. As I said, there is an aiming bunker the first bunker in the middle, and if you go over the part of the bunker where the carts are in the background, you will find a small gap in between the bunkers and onto the front left part of the green.

This picture is taken in the layup area directly over the aiming point of the aiming bunker. You can see how there is a gap to run your ball up onto the front left part of the green. If you layup, this is what you have left; a shot where everything except maybe the first 20 feet of the front left part of the green (which slopes toward you), slopes toward the middle right part of the green (exactly where the flag is). The bunkers are obviously bad places to miss, but missing long in the rough might be worse because you have an extremely downhill lie to a green that mostly slopes away from you.

An obvious half hole, birdies are anything but rare, and I have my one eagle on a par 4 on this hole.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:47:08 PM by Matthew Essig »

Matthew Essig

Hole 4 - par 4

Prevailing wind directly into on tee and slightly from left for approaches

Back: 440 yards
Blue: 411 yards
White: 378 yards
Gold: 343 yards
Red: 311 yards

When the wind is blowing, this is a "make par and run" hole, but if you are lucky and it is not blowing, you might be able to make a birdie.

The drive is probably the most difficult shot because of the wind directly in your face, a fairway bunker left, and a bank right of the fairway that kicks all balls into the fescue, which you usually have to hack out sideways from.

From the right side of the fairway, you see a bunker that appears to be close to the green. It is actually about 50 yards or so short of the green. It was designed, I believe, for the idiots who try to go for the green from the fescue right of the fairway and end up chunking it down into the bunker. My friend did this (guy who is in the cart right of the fairway), only backing up my point.

From the left side of the fairway, next to the fairway bunker, you have a clear path to the green.

Even with the bunker that catches out the "going for the green from the fescue" people.

The green. It is guarded by collection areas front left and to the right of the green. There is a big dividing spine down the middle of the green, with the right side making putts quick to the right side of the green and the left side feeding balls down into the lower left portion of the green. The general tilt (other than the diving spine) is front to back, with the lower left portion sloping towards the collection area front left and the higher right portion sloping towards the collection area on the right edge of the green.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:47:44 PM by Matthew Essig »

Matthew Essig

Hole 5 - par 5

Prevailing wind directly into on first two shots and from right for approaches after layup

Back: 560 yards
Blue: 527 yards
White: 494 yards
Gold: 456 yards
Red: 425 yards

When the wind is blowing, it makes the hole a 3 shotter, but if the wind is not blowing and you are a bomber, you might be able to get home in two.

The drive has no trouble, other than the fescue left, which could be found by a hooking tee shot that is taken even further with the wind.

Because the wind was (thankfully) not blowing the day I took the pictures, this is where the drives ended up; however, when the wind is blowing, the drives can end up much further back. Normally, you just hit a long iron or a wood down to the lay up bunkers. On this day, I could finally reach the green in two.

The layup area, in between the two layup bunkers.

In the collection area. It catches any second shots at the green that come up short and approaches, after layups, that ride the wind too far left. The green is also guarded right and back right by two bunkers.

The entire green slopes towards the collection area short left, except for the back edge, which falls off the back, causing balls to roll down into the first inch of rough.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:48:26 PM by Matthew Essig »

Sean Leary

Looks pretty good, and a lot better than Prospector....

Matthew Essig

Looks pretty good, and a lot better than Prospector....

A giant +1

Matthew Essig

Hole 6 - par 4

Prevailing wind is helping

Back: 457 yards
Blue: 423 yards
White: 390 yards
Gold: 357 yards
Red: 325 yards

This is a tricky par 4. First there is a tree blocking your preferred line, causing you to either hit a slice out over the fescue, a straight shot just to the right of the tree and over the tongue of the aiming bunker, or a draw.

With the approach, you must think links-style. The shot MUST land short of the green when the hole is on the right half because of the wind behind you and because that part of the green runs away from you. The bunker short right is about 10-15 yards short of the green, but has a downslope behind, causing an even bigger need to land the ball short. The bunker short left is right up against the green. Shots a little right of the green will try to kick left and onto the green.

The green is divided into two sections. The right half slopes towards the back, except for the right edge which pushes balls left and the false front. The left half slopes from back to front; however, with the wind behind, it is still hard to stop the ball on the green, and any balls that land too far back will find the bunker long left.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:48:58 PM by Matthew Essig »

Matthew Essig

Took me 10 months, but I am finally going to finish this.

Hole 7 - par 4

Prevailing wind is left to right

Back: 466 yards
Blue: 444 yards
White: 423 yards
Gold: 387 yards
Red: 334 yards

From the back tee.

From the white tee.

Left side of the drive zone

Left of front left bunker

Matthew Essig

Hole 8 - par 3

Prevailing wind is from behind

Back: 206 yards
Blue: 178 yards
White: 158 yards
Gold: 130 yards
Red: 130 yards

White tee

Left of green

Matthew Essig

Hole 9 - par 4

Prevailing wind is right to left

Back: 424 yards
Blue: 391 yards
White: 357 yards
Gold: 321 yards
Red: 288 yards

White tee

Drive zone

Bunker short left

Bunker right of green

On hillside looking back (the old mine entrance on left)

Matthew Essig

Hole 10 - par 4

Prevailing wind is from straight behind

Back: 416 yards
Blue: 382 yards
White: 354 yards
Gold: 320 yards
Red: 287 yards

White tee

Left side of fairway

Right side of fairway

Long of green

Just over the back

Matthew Essig

Hole 11 - par 5

Back: 538 yards
Blue: 498 yards
White: 462 yards
Gold: 431 yards
Red: 392 yards

White tee

Drive zone

Lay-up zone

Left of green

Matthew Essig

Hole 12 - par 3

Prevailing wind is right to left

Back: 215 yards
Blue: 199 yards
White: 184 yards
Gold: 158 yards
Red: 135 yards

Back tee

White tee

Long of green (more then 2/3 slopes toward back)

Matthew Essig

Hole 13 - par 4

Prevailing wind is supposed to be right to left, but the wind funnels up the hole, causing a head wind

Back: 492 yards
Blue: 462 yards
White: 413 yards
Gold: 382 yards
Red: 340 yards

White tee

Drive zone

Left of the heavily contoured green

Matthew Essig

Hole 14 - par 4

Prevailing wind is a head wind

Back: 431 yards
Blue: 400 yards
White: 371 yards
Gold: 337 yards
Red: 291 yards

White tee

Left of the fairway

Right side of fairway next to fairway bunker

Right of green

Matthew Essig

Hole 15 - par 4

With a strong tail wind and a well hit drive, this hole can become a drive, pitch, and putt or, if you wanted to, drive, putt, and putt  8)

Back: 400 yards
Blue: 371 yards
White: 344 yards
Gold: 294 yards
Red: 263 yards

Back tee

White tee

The drive zone after a well hit drive and a helping wind (drive zone would be around the bunkers shown in the tee pictures without a well hit drive or a helping wind, but the helping wind is a typical occurrence)

Left of green

Right of green

Matthew Essig

Hole 16 - par 3

Prevailing wind is left to right

Back: 186 yards
Blue: 159 yards
White: 131 yards
Gold: 104 yards
Red: 85 yards

White tee

Short right of the green, which slopes dramatically from left to right

The back of the green falls off the back

Matthew Essig

Hole 17 - par 5

Prevailing wind is a head wind

Back: 579 yards
Blue: 547 yards
White: 513 yards
Gold: 481 yards
Red: 448 yards

White tee (beware the top shot bunker)

Drive zone

Lay-up zone

Long of green

Matthew Essig

Hole 18 - par 4

Prevailing wind is into and right to left from tee, and into and left to right from fairway

Back: 430 yards
Blue: 400 yards
White: 373 yards
Gold: 334 yards
Red: 283 yards

White tee

Drive zone

Long of green

Right of green

Daryl David

I agree Michael. IMHO
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 01:21:33 PM by Daryl David »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back