News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Whitaker

Touring Scotland with a First Timer!
« on: June 21, 2012, 04:56:25 PM »
I am touring Scotland for a week this August with a friend who will be on his first visit to the Auld Sod! His only request is that we spend a few days in St Andrews and try to get him on the Old Course through the ballot or a fill-in position.

He arrives at EDI on 18 August. I'm thinking of starting our tour at North Berwick with a game on Sunday 19 August, working our way around to St Andrews, then maybe visiting Carnoustie or Royal Aberdeen before heading back to EDI for his flight home the morning of Monday 27 August.

You guys are the best at helping plan this type of thing... what are some "don't miss" things (golf and non-golf) that would really enhance a first timer's visit?

Anyone going to be in the area who would like to join us for a game? I'd really like to show my friend a good time with some local "color."
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Marty Bonnar

Re: Touring Scotland with a First Timer!
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 05:06:02 PM »
Mike.
check PM.
cheers,
MB.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 05:35:51 PM »
eat/stay at Duck's in Klispendie and play Kilspendie after dinner
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

ward peyronnin

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 05:38:17 PM »
Also I just Love Burntisland Golf Course and the Royal Castle in Falkland in the Kingdom is a cool operating Castle with nice gardens
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 05:51:30 PM »
Okay,
just for clarity, the correct spelling is Kilspindie, and Duck's is actually in the village of Aberlady, but apart from that Ward is spot on!
The food at one and golf at the other are both great though!
Burntisland is the ex-home of The Claw(TM) and is fun, fun, fun. Only visit Falkland if you're trying to impress the wife. Ancient crusty scottishness does not a golf trip make!!! ;D
Neatness and accuracy count.
Eff.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 06:21:02 PM »
Methinks it is Falkland Palace seeing as we're being accurate not to mention  pedantic!

I have a soft spot for Falkland and at the risk of Marty imagining that I am "crusty" a visit to the Palace would be very rewarding. The grounds and garden are lovely, the Palace a treat and an added bonus is the wee chapel in the Palace. This Catholic chapel withstood Cromwell's assault  simply because they thought it had been demolished but in fact it was undergoing restoration at the time!

Just my tuppenceworth,

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Play the Eden course which I have overlooked too many times.   

Walk out the Scores past the ruined castle and on to the ruins of the cathedral.  Spend a few minutes with Old and Young Tom Morris and Alan Robertson.  Walk back down North or Market Streets for some local St Andrews flavor. 

Play the Balcomie at Crail and Elie or great local quirk.   

Drink too much single malt with chasers of Belhaven's Best. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:41:01 PM »
Okay,
just for clarity, the correct spelling is Kilspindie, and Duck's is actually in the village of Aberlady, but apart from that Ward is spot on!
Burntisland is the ex-home of The Claw(TM) and is fun, fun, fun. Only visit Falkland if you're trying to impress the wife. Ancient crusty scottishness does not a golf trip make!!! ;D
Eff.

OK... Duck's is sorted... I've booked a room for Sunday 19 August with a dinner reservation for 7:00pm. You guys are the best!!!

Now to get a Sunday game near Duck's. Kilspindie is a great course for a second round, but I don't think it will do the trick for the main course. I wish Muirfield took visitors on Sunday.  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 07:02:24 PM »
Okay,
Eff.

OK... Duck's is sorted... I've booked a room for Sunday 19 August with a dinner reservation for 7:00pm. You guys are the best!!!

Now to get a Sunday game near Duck's. Kilspindie is a great course for a second round, but I don't think it will do the trick for the main course. I wish Muirfield took visitors on Sunday.  ;)

Not that far from North Berwick.   Luffness is right there.  All the Gullane courses. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 07:27:36 PM »
Okay,
Eff.

Not that far from North Berwick.   Luffness is right there.  All the Gullane courses.  

Gullane is a possibility, but I'm not sure I want to deal with all that hay along the fairways. I was hoping we might be able to visit a "newer" course in the area!  ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:29:09 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Ron Csigo

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 08:38:34 PM »
Mike,

In St. Andrews, head to Dunvegan's for a post round pint.  The bar has a wonderful collection of photos and memorabilia.

Also, if you get hungry, head to the Jigger Inn.  It's adjacent to the Old Course Hotel.  Be sure to sample the cullen skink!
Playing and Admiring the Great Golf Courses of the World.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 10:43:46 PM »
Play the Eden course which I have overlooked too many times.   

Walk out the Scores past the ruined castle and on to the ruins of the cathedral.  Spend a few minutes with Old and Young Tom Morris and Alan Robertson.  Walk back down North or Market Streets for some local St Andrews flavor. 

Play the Balcomie at Crail and Elie or great local quirk.   

Drink too much single malt with chasers of Belhaven's Best. 
Buy a bottle  and have a drink with them,  went over the wall since it was closed. Police were nice since we were a bit tipsy.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joey Chase

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 11:01:58 PM »
Take the time to play around on the Himalayas green near the New Course clubhouse.  The single most amazing putting surface on the planet.

Dan King

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 11:28:46 PM »
I would pick Gullane No. 1 over Luffness. I'd take a day to play the three Gullane courses.  No. 1 in the morning.  Light lunch at the Old Club House, play No. 2 in the afternoon and then a nice leisurely dinner followed by playing No. 3 in the evening with just four or five clubs.

If you are going up to Royal Aberdeen, you really must play a round or two at Cruden Bay.

If you have a bit too much of the local whisky, nothing better than some haggis for breakfast.

Cheers,
Dan King
The national dish of Scotland is something called haggis, the specific ingredients of which I won't go into other than to say that if you can visualize boiled, inside-out road kill, you're pretty close.
 --David Grimes

Simon Holt

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 03:50:27 AM »
Okay,
Eff.

Not that far from North Berwick.   Luffness is right there.  All the Gullane courses.  

Gullane is a possibility, but I'm not sure I want to deal with all that hay along the fairways. I was hoping we might be able to visit a "newer" course in the area!  ;) ;) ;)

I am sure you can get a time at Archerfield easily enough!  ;)

We have our Member Guest that weekend so Renaissance is a no go anyway I'm afraid...plus, you have had your round!  Add to that- we have more hay than anyone now.  :(
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Simon Holt

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 04:00:41 AM »
If you havent played already I would honestly make the drive down to Goswick, not much over an hour South of North Berwick.  You will love it. £38!!

Last week I played Dunbar (good condition, always good fun and good value- underrated for me), Muirfield (amazing as always), NB which is always great (slight bias), Castle Stuart (first time, really enjoyed it), Royal Dornoch (as incredible as I had remembered).

Kilspindie is fun, Luffness has arguably the best greens in the area, pass on Craigielaw, all of Gullane is good; back 9 on No. 2 is better than No. 1 for me.

Be warned.  We have had an incredible amount of rain so as it warms up the rough will get even worse.  I have NEVER seen it as bad as it is at the moment at the East Lothian courses.

Let me know when you are here and we will have dinner/pints.

2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 08:41:34 AM »
Mike, I wouldn't waste your time going up to Aberdeen (unless you plan to be getting comped at Trump's place).  Do play Carnoustie (and the Burnside course there too if you and your partner can handle 36).  Rather than driving two hours to Aberdeen, drive two hours to Ayrshire and play Prestwick or Western Gailes or Troon or Turnberry, or all four!  While there visit the Robt. Burns stuff in Alloway and/or Culzean Castle.  Also spend a day in Edinburgh (Castle, National Gallery, National Museum, a Michelin starred restuarant or two, etc.).  Dornoch can wait--it will always be there.

Of course, if you're passing by Aberdour, let me know.

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Rich Goodale

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2012, 08:43:00 AM »
I should add, as Simon Says, hay is general over all the golf courses in Scotland this year.  Use old balls!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jason Topp

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
Mike

On my first visit we stayed in St. Andrews the entire week and played golf within driving distance.  It was really nice to spend the down time in the town soaking in its sights and sounds rather than checking in and out of hotels. 

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2012, 09:37:15 AM »
My father and I had a phenomenal dinner at The Peat Inn in the summer of 2008 when we were there. I recall it being about 40 minutes from St. Andrews.

http://www.thepeatinn.co.uk/dining/index.htm
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mark Pearce

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
If you havent played already I would honestly make the drive down to Goswick, not much over an hour South of North Berwick.  You will love it. £38!!
This.

Let me have dates and I'll see if I can join you.  19th at Goswick might be a possibility for me, I think, depending on family commitments (we'll likely be on our way back from Elie).  The week before I'm in Elie, so if you were around St Andrews from 11th to 18th we could certainly play Crail or Elie.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2012, 10:18:32 AM »
I really enjoed having lunch at the New/Jubilee clubhouse between rounds at St Andrews. Even though there is no "old-charm" to the building the food and drink was quite good and looking out over the Himalayas and the linksland is wonderful. Of course walking out to the 1st tee of the New Course for a quick afternoon round is nice benefit as well.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2012, 11:18:52 AM »
This.

Let me have dates and I'll see if I can join you.  19th at Goswick might be a possibility for me, I think, depending on family commitments (we'll likely be on our way back from Elie).  The week before I'm in Elie, so if you were around St Andrews from 11th to 18th we could certainly play Crail or Elie.

Mark,

I'll send you an email.

Mike

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2012, 01:48:36 PM »
Mike

I might be tempted to do a Gullane 3 and Kilspindie day. I'd take a half set for both and just enjoy the day, not much travelling in between and with luck you might get paired up with a couple of locals. After that settle into what will become your favourite seat in the local pub, drink heavily and talk a lot of sh*te. Repeat that formula on a daily basis and by the end of the week you'll be a "local" yourself.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 05:59:53 PM »
Take a day to visit the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, there's nearly 3000 different shows in August and too many performances to count. It really is an amazing experience to see some great comedy, illusions, magic and far out performances.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back