News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Re: Troon to host 2016 Open Championship
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2012, 05:50:17 PM »
Niall Hay,

On the point of whether the Open could / would ever be held outside GB&I.... If it ever is, the overwhelming favourite to host would be Portmarnock by a country mile... But whatever remote possibility there is of that will probably be scuppered if Portrush ends up on the rota...

Incidentally, Portmarnock did host the Amateur Championshiop in 1949 (as Adrian stated). But Ireland was still a free state, not a republic, when it was awarded. So it's not strictly a precedent.

Why Portmarnock?

Scott Warren

« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2012, 05:56:51 PM »
Niall, Wayne: Perhaps that's why it's The Open Championship, not the British Open.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #52 on: June 24, 2012, 05:59:14 PM »
Word is that the R+A have told the Northern Irish government that the Open coming is a distinct possibility on the condition of the Irish Open being a success. The influence of the Clarke and McDowell lobbying can not be understated as shown by Royal Portrush jumping well ahead of RCD, despite RCD being the less risky option.

Niall, the R and A would make a fortune from a Open in Dublin.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #53 on: June 24, 2012, 06:02:35 PM »
I wonder if QEII meeting Martin McGuinness this week might hasten things a tad...?

F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Niall Hay

« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »
Word is that the R+A have told the Northern Irish government that the Open coming is a distinct possibility on the condition of the Irish Open being a success. The influence of the Clarke and McDowell lobbying can not be understated as shown by Royal Portrush jumping well ahead of RCD, despite RCD being the less risky option.

Niall, the R and A would make a fortune from a Open in Dublin.

Where did you hear that?

Wasn't questioning Dublin or Portmarnock, just curious to the logic and if there was anything solid behind the statements. Agreed Dublin is great. Just never heard Portmarnock mentioned ever.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »
I wonder if QEII meeting Martin McGuinness this week might hasten things a tad...?

F.

To be honest the significance of whole 'handshake' thing has been slightly overblown by the GB media. It is all a bit of staged back-pedaling by Sinn Fein after they were made to look silly by opposing the Queen's truly historic in the South.

Niall, that is the rumor that is going around political/golf circles and have been alluded to in the local media.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »
The only British Open held in Ireland was at Portrush in 1951.
Some would argue that it was the only non-British Open since Ireland is not Britain, not even Nortern Ireland.
?  Last time I looked Portrush was in Northern Ireland.
The country is the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland.   If Northern Ireland was part of Britain then the country name would be much shorter.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2012, 04:10:57 AM »
I said "prior to 6 major wins" in my last post.... You can now make that 7.... Well done to Alan Dunbar...

Niall, I think the date of the article is relevant in this particular case because of what's happened since... As for Portmarnock, it would be a shoe-in because of its history and connections, the style and scope of course and the facilities and potential audience.... If it was in the UK, it would have held the Open multiple times by now...

Rich Goodale

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2012, 04:33:31 AM »
Allyy

How would they get 40,000 punters/day from Dublin to Portmarnock?  By rowboat or horsedrawn carriage (when the tide is low) as they used to do the the good olde days? :)

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2012, 05:11:07 AM »
Allyy

How would they get 40,000 punters/day from Dublin to Portmarnock?  By rowboat or horsedrawn carriage (when the tide is low) as they used to do the the good olde days? :)

Rich

That would be the first-class travellers only....

But I think it's amply catered for by rail (one mile away) and nearby spaces that could be used for parking... Don't believe it any more difficult to access than most of the current Open venues... It always coped OK in the past with very big crowds for the Irish Open etc...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 02:09:57 PM by Ally Mcintosh »

Sean_A

« Reply #60 on: June 27, 2012, 04:54:48 AM »
I think the R&A have every intention to bring the Open back to Portrush if things go well in the Irish Open(s).  I have no proof - just a hunch.  I also think the R&A would dearly love to find a way to use Porthcawl, but that may be a step too far. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #61 on: June 27, 2012, 06:36:08 AM »
I think the R&A have every intention to bring the Open back to Portrush if things go well in the Irish Open(s).  I have no proof - just a hunch.  I also think the R&A would dearly love to find a way to use Porthcawl, but that may be a step too far. 

Ciao

I think you're right Sean... R&A connections are very strong within Porthcawl also so I can imagine that it was always a course discussed in dispatches... But I think it's definitely a little tight for spectators...

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: June 27, 2012, 06:47:25 AM »

Ciao

I think you're right Sean... R&A connections are very strong within Porthcawl also so I can imagine that it was always a course discussed in dispatches... But I think it's definitely a little tight for spectators...

Ally

Do you think the R&A can learn anything from the USGA @ Merion?  Perhaps see how a tourny with less people works out?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Niall C

« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2012, 01:51:17 PM »
Sean

Supposedly thats what the R&A do when holding the Open at Turnberry  ;D

Re Portrush and the Open, if the R&A are looking to see how the Irish Open gets on there it will be a bit of a change of policy on their part in so much as they damn near blackmailed the links trust at Carnoustie into not agreeing a tie up with the Scottish Open so as not to spoil their chances of getting the Open.

Niall

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2012, 11:42:46 AM »

One under par misses the cut at Royal Portrush, interesting in the Open discussion, is that too low??

My understanding is Royal Porthcawl and Saunton have been assessed as unsuitable for an Open.
Cave Nil Vino

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2012, 04:18:52 AM »
They are already talking it up on Sky Sports, they said they thought the numbering would be changed for the Open and Portrush would start at 17 and the current 1st would be the 3rd. Lots more room around the present 16th green for the final hole.

Porthcawl has a few diffcult areas that need to be sorted in order to make it work..... I think I have a 7100 yarder that cures the problem so if the Royal P want to get in touch!
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Niall Hay

« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2012, 01:06:52 PM »

One under par misses the cut at Royal Portrush, interesting in the Open discussion, is that too low??

Does the scoring relative to par matter to the R&A as much as crowds and logistics?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2012, 01:19:39 PM »
Niall - I'm sure logistics, safety and hospitality revenues are more important.
Cave Nil Vino

Niall Hay

« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »
Certainly seems to be a lot of buzz in golf over this....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back