News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Holland

Ultradrawf bermuda and the PGA Tour
« on: June 19, 2012, 11:19:00 AM »
I know several major championship sites have converted to one of the new grasses, but it is hard to tell what impact it actually had on scoring at a major, where scoring is difficult from the outset.  This year, the Wyndham Championship will be played on ultradwarf bermuda, rather than soaked (in August) bent greens.  Sedgefield CC is relatively short by PGA Tour standards, but the greens have significant undulations.  The past few years have seen winners at between -18 and -21 on the par 70 layout. 

How will the new greens impact scoring for the pros?

Randy Thompson

Re: Ultradrawf bermuda and the PGA Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
Should be a little faster, a little firmer and a little truer but should not enter in a big way into the over all equation because the big boys are playing most of the time on similar conditions now a days, week to week. It may be the host tournaments like those low scores, most good course have a range of flexibility to target the winning score through the course set up. I donīt know the courses but it seems if they wanted higher scores there would be lots of ways to achieve such.

Greg Holland

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 11:55:21 AM »
Thanks Randy.  The hope is that the firmer, undulating greens will help emphasize the architecture, influence approach shots and require recovery shots with imagination and touch.  However, my observations of the tournament the last few years is that the Tour (which completely controls set up and pin locations) does not want to utilize the harder locations (particularly, it seems, the week after a tough major).  It will be interesting to see this August.   

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »
Greg,
That was kind of my point, they have a philosphy on the set up and generally a target score. Sometimes they say, the public likes to watch birdies and they set it up for lots of birdies or should I say oportunities for birdies. The majorīs seem more interested in defending Par.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 02:27:49 PM »
Greg, I don't know the course (except from TV) have had very little experience on these types of ultradwarf Bermuda greens, but I will say I am looking forward to seeing what happens at Sedgefield this year.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 03:17:05 PM »
I think that if those greens are allowed to be a little faster and a little firmer, we can expect the course to be a shot or so harder each day, so maybe -14 to -18 as a winning score? I don't think that's unreasonable to expect.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

BHoover

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 09:46:11 PM »
Bump.

Has anyone played Sedgefield (and the new greens) recently?  I've only seen the course on tv, but it's nice to see a Ross course might actually play firm and fast on Tour for a change.

Greg Holland

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 10:35:59 PM »
The greens are in great shape -- and I am sure they are very firm being so new.  I was told that they were rolling 12.5 today, and depending on conditions, will likely get faster towards the weekend.

Most of the talk I have heard is that the average score will be much higher with these greens, but these guys are so good, the winning score may not be that different from the past (as one or two of these guys can be on fire any given week and go really low). 

Just my prediction, but rather than close to twenty under as in the past, I suspect it will be closer to 12 or 15 under.  Just walking around, I noticed the bermuda rough was thick too -- lots of rain and heat lately.  Should be interesting.

Kris Spence

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 03:59:57 PM »
Greg, I stopped by Sedgefield today and watched a few approach shots, the ball is skipping a good 10 to 12 feet following impact and  rolling a bit more on some greens.  This should bring more of the strategy and angles into play.  With no wind, the course needs considerable firmness on the greens to defend itself, if it doesn't rain this should be the case.  Keith indicated the greens would start the day around 12.5 stimp and slow to 11.5 due to growth.  My experience with the Tour officials hasn't been that great when it comes to hole placements and overall setup, they don't seem to understand or care about the balance between the short and long holes out there and screw around with the tee placements trying to be creative.  I probably should stop there.  The greens are 11 weeks old this week which is incredible, Keith Wood the superintendent has done an incredible job getting them ready. There are a few blemishes along the edges but all and all they are very good to be so young. 

Kris

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 11:48:21 AM »
Greg, I stopped by Sedgefield today and watched a few approach shots, the ball is skipping a good 10 to 12 feet following impact and  rolling a bit more on some greens.  This should bring more of the strategy and angles into play.  With no wind, the course needs considerable firmness on the greens to defend itself, if it doesn't rain this should be the case.  Keith indicated the greens would start the day around 12.5 stimp and slow to 11.5 due to growth.  My experience with the Tour officials hasn't been that great when it comes to hole placements and overall setup, they don't seem to understand or care about the balance between the short and long holes out there and screw around with the tee placements trying to be creative.  I probably should stop there.  The greens are 11 weeks old this week which is incredible, Keith Wood the superintendent has done an incredible job getting them ready. There are a few blemishes along the edges but all and all they are very good to be so young. 

Kris
Kris, What was the general feedback about the greens/bermuda during the Wyndham?
                                      Bruce

Kris Spence

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 01:31:22 PM »
Bruce, the only player I spoke directly too was Jason Duffner.  He thought they were great and was pleased with the change.  He pointed to the firmness and consistency through out the day as something he liked.  He did say the ball was wiggling a bit back and forth as it rolled out on the greens but not to the extent it would affect the outcome of a putt.   The greens were not nearly as firm Thursday and Friday as on Wednesday, I understand they added water to them both mornings which I was not too pleased to hear.  The Tour Staff takes a very conservative approach in setting up the course, they aren't going anywhere near a hole location over 1 to 1 1/2% from what I can tell.  Sedgefield's greens have a lot of on and off movement in the outer 20 foot band of putting surface, which can really make for interesting golf, so far they have avoided the really good stuff for 5 years.  Someday?

Kris

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back