News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Simon Holt

Chicago Area golf recommendations
« on: June 18, 2012, 12:59:56 PM »
I may be heading to Chicago later this year for a week.  I have had a wee look at the search and most of the stuff is really dated.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to the best 6 courses in the immediate Chicago area?  Not too far out from the centre as I dont want to spend the whole time in the car, say a 20-30 mile radius if that works.  Recommendations for somewhere nice to stay near the action at night would be great too.

I hear Cog Hill, Medinah, Chicago Golf, Shoreacres and Butler National all come highly recommended but I am open to suggestions.  Like I say, 6 courses would about my limit due to time.

Thanks in advance.

Simon
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

John Kavanaugh

Re: Chicago Area golf recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 01:01:40 PM »
If you book a room at the Drake make sure it is not the one across from Butler National.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 01:09:53 PM »
Simon:

What kind of "access" do you have? Some of the courses you've listed have more of that than the others.....

Simon Holt

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 01:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the posts and PMs guys.

I am just looking for the best start point.  It would be great if the clubs had a fun atmosphere too.  The sort of guys that would come back and play here in Scotland some day!
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 01:48:06 PM »
Simon,

It really depends on what you're looking for and what type of access you have.  Many here will tell you something different but my ideal six would be something like this:

Chicago Golf
Shoreacres
Olympia Fields North
Skokie
Knollwood
Old Elm

As for great clubs that also have very good golf you may want to look into:

Bob'o'Link
Beverly
Medinah
Butler

Black Sheep, Lost Dunes and the Dunes Club would certainly be worth a look but none of them are within an hour's drive.  Other interesting options- Exmoor, North Shore, Glen View and Butterfield of those I've played (I haven't played Briarwood, Flossmoor or Evanston).

« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 04:47:01 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
I may be heading to Chicago later this year for a week.  I have had a wee look at the search and most of the stuff is really dated.

Does anyone have any good suggestions as to the best 6 courses in the immediate Chicago area?  Not too far out from the centre as I dont want to spend the whole time in the car, say a 20-30 mile radius if that works.  Recommendations for somewhere nice to stay near the action at night would be great too.

I hear Cog Hill, Medinah, Chicago Golf, Shoreacres and Butler National all come highly recommended but I am open to suggestions.  Like I say, 6 courses would about my limit due to time.

Thanks in advance.

Simon

I was this close to lifting my ban on Scotland.  6 courses...Really???

JR Potts

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 02:04:19 PM »
I would have happily hosted but tee times at my place are almost non-existant this summer.

Enjoy!

Simon Holt

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
Hi JK,

What is the '6 courses...really????'  In reference too?  Do you think that is to many or not enough?

Simon

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 02:18:21 PM »
Hi JK,

What is the '6 courses...really????'  In reference too?  Do you think that is to many or not enough?

Simon

I think it was greedy and poor form to not only ask for 6 courses within a 30 mile radius but to include Chicago Golf, Butler and Shoreacres.  Proper protocol would have said you were coming to town and looking to play the best public courses the city has to offer, besides Rabbitshole of course.  You will get to play everywhere you want because golfers take to Scots like pussy takes to Aussies.  Personally I don't get it but my daughter is marrying an Aussie.

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 03:06:32 PM »
Hi JK,

Simon

I think it was greedy and poor form to not only ask for 6 courses within a 30 mile radius but to include Chicago Golf, Butler and Shoreacres.  Proper protocol would have said you were coming to town and looking to play the best public courses the city has to offer, besides Rabbitshole of course.  You will get to play everywhere you want because golfers take to Scots like pussy takes to Aussies.  Personally I don't get it but my daughter is marrying an Aussie.

This actually might be the all time greatest post on GCA.com.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 03:12:28 PM »
I would have happily hosted but tee times at my place are almost non-existant this summer.

Enjoy!

How bad is it now that #1 is closed?   Are you guys going to a lottery?   I imagine there is way more demand than supply.

Simon Holt

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 06:35:00 PM »
Hi JK,

Simon

Hi John,

Easy big fella. I dont know you and you dont know me.  I dont know your sense of humour so fair play if this is a joke.

If I get to play golf courses it is not because I am from Scotland, its because I am not an asshole (so far!).  They let me play in England after all.

The reason I mentioned the places I did was because they are the only Chicago courses I know of.  I met a guy this weekend who invited me to one of them so that got me thinking. 

The 'poor form' comment is BS.  I was asking for suggestions on the best places to play, not for access.  As I never ask for access off GCAers, I guess thats why I missed the 'proper protocol' email.  If I see you type something asking about public courses in the future I will know what you really mean is 'can you get me on some nice private deal'

The people on here that do know me would hopefully include these two things when talking about me.  I dont ask for favours to get me on golf courses and my etiquette, both in approaching golf clubs and playing there, is as would be expected of anyone who respects the traditions of the game.

I have played golf with 1 GCAer at their course in England; we had a great day.  I have hosted over 20 up here in Scotland at multiple courses.  I have been to the US to play golf over 10 times and have not once solicited access from GCAers.  I think that probably suggests you are barking up the wrong tree with what it appears to be you are suggesting.

I cant remember if you are on the list for BUDA but I look forward to seeing you then.  I'll be the one with all the club logos all over me, the tour bag and the swing aids, I'll drop a few names for you too...just incase you want to pop me in that stereotype while you're at it.

Have a good one.

Simon

JR Potts

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:42:40 PM »

Enjoy!

How bad is it now that #1 is closed?   Are you guys going to a lottery?   I imagine there is way more demand than supply.

It kind of sucks.  Only the back of Course #1 is closed right now - but next year all of #1 will be down for the year.

We are packed from morning until night when Course #1 is in-play - this year, with the Ryder Cup demand, it's nuts.

We will go to a lottery type system - but only for guest times.

Luckily, member times are still  readily available....and there's always Course #2....when women and kids aren't swarming the place.

JR Potts

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »
Simon, it was a joke...

JK, care to come up and join Simon and I at Exmoor the day(s) he's in town?

Sure, let me know what time to be up there.

NOTE - Mark  - with the course closed, you have to resort to messages like this.  :)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 06:44:20 PM »
Simon, it was a joke...

Sure, for our second 18 of the day.

Simon Holt

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 06:48:10 PM »
Simon, it was a joke...

Good.   :)

Steve Salmen

« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 09:04:32 PM »
Simon,

I look forward to seeing you again.  Let me know when you're coming to town, regardless of whether we can golf or not.  BTW, how is our mutual friend, Alistair Mackenzie?

Steve

PS, if I ever get back to EL, I may try to weasel you for a game.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 04:26:13 AM »
Simon - I believe JK is still boycotting everything Scottish so I wouldn't worry too much.

From a Brit point of view if you can get on Chicago it is fabulous but a tough gig, they only have 125 members and 5 or 6 fourballs is their average day. Old Elm is a personal favourite, not the longest or hardest of courses but a delightful day out. Skokie is a nice old fashioned course as is Glen View.  Both courses at OF are fine plays and Flossmoor is GCA friendly, recently refurbed and has a brilliant back 9, if you'd like to play there let me know. Black Sheep is well worth the drive.
Cave Nil Vino

Simon Holt

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »
Thanks Mark.

So far, picking through posts and PMs I have a pretty good idea of what might work. 

Does anyone have suggestions on a good hotel for 12 guys to stay in near the action?  Comfort, amenities and location are at the top of the criteria list.  My backpacking days are behind me.

Thanks,

Simon

Terry Lavin

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 03:24:06 PM »
Thanks Mark.

So far, picking through posts and PMs I have a pretty good idea of what might work. 

Does anyone have suggestions on a good hotel for 12 guys to stay in near the action?  Comfort, amenities and location are at the top of the criteria list.  My backpacking days are behind me.

Thanks,

Simon

You have two options in terms of location, it seems to me.  If you stay near downtown, the Omni Suites is nice, affordable and is right on Michigan avenue and walking or a quick cab to anywhere you'd like to go for dinner or drinks.  If you want to be centrally located in an area where you won't have to deal with traffic in and out of downtown (which is a consideration based on the various courses you'll be driving to), I'd recommend the Westin in Lombard, which is right near Oakbrook, site of Butler National and Butterfield and very close to the I-294 Tollway, which will get you to Olympia, Knollwood, Skokie, Beverly, Medinah and just about every other place you'll want to play.  While it doesn't have the nightlife of downtown/Rush Street, there are some fun places in Oakbrook that would probably work out just as well as downtown, to tell you the truth.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2012, 03:50:20 PM »
Thanks Mark.

Thanks,

Simon

Simon,

On a recent business trip to Chicago I stayed at the Radisson Blu (http://www.radissonblu.com/aquahotel-chicago) which is a new hotel  located in the "Aqua" building. It's very nice and compared to other higher end ("non-backpacker") Chicago hotels it's a nice value.

Most of the course recommendations noted above are solid, and with a well written note from your club professional or secretary most of the clubs in the area would be happy to host 12 traveling Scotsmen, given you're not trying to visit during peak times.

Once your trip draws closer, drop me a PM and I'd be happy to give you a few quality restaurant recommendations....assuming you would like to eat where the locals eat and not do the touristy Gibsons/Michigan Avenue Chessecake Factory route :) ;)
H.P.S.

John McCarthy

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
Hotel Burnham is always nice - centrally located and in a historic building. [url]www.burnhamhotel.com/[url]  There is a nice restaurant downstairs called the Atwood Cafe.  

This is a bit of a walk on the wildside but Longman & Eagle is a gastropub (I hate that word) with a Michelin star.  Food is fantastic.  It has rooms to rent upstairs that are nice but can be loud since the bar stays open late. [url]www.longmanandeagle.com/[url]  The neighborhood is not downtown but in neighborhood known as Logan Square which is still a bit edgy (or sketchy).  

Near the airport there are some nicer places which make the trip to the various courses easier but much farther from the central city.  I think there is a Intercontinental out there.  
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jud_T

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 04:52:18 PM »
Longman & Eagle is my favorite restaurant and the best bar in the city IMO.  Can't think of a better place to stay if available.  Hell they turned me on to Blue Coat gin.  Nuff said.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael Baldwin

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 04:55:54 PM »
I second John's recommendation of Longman & Eagle.  Great food and cocktails.  The Logan Square Blue Line ‘L’ stop is very close and that particular part of Logan Square is fairly gentrified.  Fair warning: if you are a group of 12, it might be difficult to get a table on a weekend night.  It tends to get crowded and they don’t take reservations.

PCCraig

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 05:09:08 PM »
L&E is great. Their wild boar sloppy joe is fantastic. Not sure how great it would be for a group of 12 with no reservations though.

A place similar to L&E but with reservations available would be the Publican in the west loop. They have big "communal" tables which could easily seat 12 guys. Awesome food, especially if you like pork as much as I do, and a solid beer list. Pretty casual and a big group could be as loud as they wanted without getting any nasty looks.

I did recently have a really wonderful meal at Sepia in the west loop, which is a place I didn't know much about when I lived in town, but after visiting am kicking myself for not going sooner. For those in Chicago that haven't been, I highly recommend.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back