News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Kimball

Re: What do you do on the golf course that others may consider rude?
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2012, 02:44:27 PM »
I was playing at my club here in SC 2 Saturday's ago with a friend and the gentleman whom I take lessons from.
He is Australian.
Normal behavior is Aus is take your trolley/buggy/fancy push/pull cart right across the green.
Not in SC.
I thought alarms were going to go off in the clubhouse.
Luckily no one saw us, and I'm still, technically at least, a member in good standing.

Bruce! I assume his lessons are still working. Also, are his TV aspirations still in the works?

I played recently at Cavalier in VA Beach and mentioned Charles Banks and Lester George in one sentance and the other guys looked at me with a million-mile stare. One of them finally figured out Lester was the SOB who had the course shut down for a year while they all had to play Princess Ann!
I just smiled and said: "yeah, that's him."

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »
I was playing at my club here in SC 2 Saturday's ago with a friend and the gentleman whom I take lessons from.
He is Australian.
Normal behavior is Aus is take your trolley/buggy/fancy push/pull cart right across the green.
Not in SC.
I thought alarms were going to go off in the clubhouse.
Luckily no one saw us, and I'm still, technically at least, a member in good standing.

Bruce! I assume his lessons are still working. Also, are his TV aspirations still in the works?

I played recently at Cavalier in VA Beach and mentioned Charles Banks and Lester George in one sentance and the other guys looked at me with a million-mile stare. One of them finally figured out Lester was the SOB who had the course shut down for a year while they all had to play Princess Ann!
I just smiled and said: "yeah, that's him."

Rob,
      No reason to watch TBB this fall IMO. He didn't make it.
We have undertaken major overhaul of the swing. Lots of change, emailed or texted videos from the range to his phone. Nike golf 360 app for the iPhone has a video component that lets you go frame by frame. Rather helpful. But, "I just need reps." As Tiger would say.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2012, 05:00:12 PM »
Wow, a cga thread thead I can actually post as an expert on.

FWIW, I always remove the band before pitching my cigar butt into the rough.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2012, 08:43:43 PM »
Great topic:

Let me tell you my pet peeves:

Throwing Clubs
Use of the "N" word
Spitting
Flicking Cigar and Cigarette Butts
Players farting next to you
Players on the tee box standing next to you and smoking
Whinning
Slobs
Slow play
Poor sportsmanship
Gamesmanship
Cheating
Fighting
Late to the tee
Jerking the Cart
Selfishness
Incessant Talking
Moving in my line
Walking in my line
Being an all round prick
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Chris Johnston

« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2012, 08:45:36 PM »
I put all lost and found items on EBay.

<just kidding>

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
I open a beer can in the middle of every one of my opponent's tee shots. 
I consequently drink a lot on the course.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2012, 08:51:20 PM »
Maybe I missed in one of the posts but I am very surprised nobody made a comment about cell phones on the course.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #107 on: June 08, 2012, 10:05:07 AM »
Haven't read the whole thread, so apologies if discussed, but I got chewed out by a Tour Pro one time for not concentrating my divots on the practice tee.  Reminded of that this morning by the USGA turf newletter with an article on the same subject.

Believe me, once pointed out, I try to concentrate my divots for the benny of the super and other golfers.  BTW, the correct way is to go front to back in a straight line, when you reach the back of the prescribed teeing area, start again a few inches over and do it again.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Howard Riefs

« Reply #108 on: June 08, 2012, 10:21:33 AM »
BTW, the correct way is to go front to back in a straight line, when you reach the back of the prescribed teeing area, start again a few inches over and do it again.

Exhibit A:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTRwmEexg6Y&feature=share
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #109 on: June 08, 2012, 10:27:10 AM »
Maybe I missed in one of the posts but I am very surprised nobody made a comment about cell phones on the course.

I play most of my golf during the week and neither I nor my friends or the rest of the people on the course at that time could be playing with out the use of our cell phones.  Texting isn't quite talking.  Now talking, twittering or taking pictures is quite rude if done during the course of play.

One of the great pleasures of Dismal is that your cell phones just do not work on the course with the exception of the 9th tee.  I love it, even though during one trip I forgot to call home for two days.  There is ample phone service at the clubhouse but that is also where the bar is located.  Every time I thought of my wife I wasn't on the 9th tee or to drunk to care.  I paid for that one.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #110 on: June 08, 2012, 10:47:01 AM »
Jeff, I agree, we probably all get to play more golf due to cell phones but my comment was more along the lines of etiquette. It is simple to do what is needed without your playing partners even noticing that you are doing it.

Years ago I was in the bunker and the extra in our group was talking on his cell phone like some big shot, I wasnt happy to be in the bunk in the first place so hearing him tell his client he was taking a day off to enjoy some piece and quiet on the course almost put me over the edge. Funny this was, my buddies were off to the side quietly joking and one said "Do you think he knows how close he is to getting a sandwedge upside his head". No crimes were committed but i just tuned the guy out for the day.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #111 on: June 08, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
BTW, the correct way is to go front to back in a straight line, when you reach the back of the prescribed teeing area, start again a few inches over and do it again.

Exhibit A:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTRwmEexg6Y&feature=share

I'm sorry but I find the VJ landing strip to be pretentious.  It will not grow in any faster than a Hitler mustache on bent grass.

David Ober

« Reply #112 on: June 08, 2012, 11:23:03 AM »
I will play out of turn on the tee box.  If someone looks at me funny, I usually say I play ready golf unless someone makes a birdie - then I have to honor the birdie.  Irony is, if someone does make a birdie, I will not hit first (even if they tell me too because of fear of bad voodoo :-)).

Paul I have the same superstition...never steal the honors from a birdie, ready golf or no.

We play ready golf all the time. Birdie or no. Maybe eagle gets the honor, but not birdie. LOL!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »
I will play out of turn on the tee box.  If someone looks at me funny, I usually say I play ready golf unless someone makes a birdie - then I have to honor the birdie.  Irony is, if someone does make a birdie, I will not hit first (even if they tell me too because of fear of bad voodoo :-)).

Paul I have the same superstition...never steal the honors from a birdie, ready golf or no.

We play ready golf all the time. Birdie or no. Maybe eagle gets the honor, but not birdie. LOL!

I suffer from the rare combination of almost always having the honor and being out of breath.  Yesterday I found it quite rude that my playing partners insisted that I hit first just because I had won the previous hole.  I prefer a short rest between green and tee.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2012, 12:20:11 PM »
Speaking of that, it is rude to be a practice tee poseur.  Never use an aid in front of other golfers looking just to warm up.  There are plenty of secluded areas where we don't need to be made to feel sorry for you.  I fault no one for sucking but can not forgive those who refuse to admit it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back