News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan King

Re: Analogous to cartball (Cliff should ignore)
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 01:39:17 PM »
Tim  Martin writes:
Dan- If you suffer an injury that doesn`t allow you to walk do you give up the game or take a cart? Just wondering how far your altruism takes you.

It's always difficult to predict the future. I thought for sure by now I would be an astronaut/cowboy. I always thought I'd be America's second favorite flying cowboy. It hasn't happened yet.

I am not a dedicated walker. I have played golf via cart. Like I've said, it is a reasonable facsimile of golf and when there is no other choice, or I have a chance to play with Mr. Huntley, I got not problem with riding.

if I could no longer walk a golf course, I might still play some, but I don't imagine I will ever love it like I love golf by foot.

Cheers,
Dan King
Walks.  The body advances, while the mind flutters around it like a bird.  
 --Jules Renard

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:26:50 AM by Dan King »

Ken Moum

« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2012, 01:13:52 AM »
I would also like to ask, if we didn't have carts, how many golf courses would we have at all in this country?  If there were still roughly 25-30 million golfers, how fast would be rounds then with less courses?  How many people would give up the game when they still have some years left to be outside and enjoy the game?

Why do you think we'd have fewer courses and that many golfers?

I have no idea how many golfers we'd have without carts, but I am tired of people insisting that cartballl money has been keeping golf courses afloat.

First, no one has ever taken a serious look at what carts cost a golf course.  Add up the cost of cart paths, cart barns, fuel/electricity, maintenance of the carts, the actual cost of the carts, all the staff needed to wrangle carts and clean them up after a round, and finally the cost of repairing the turf damage they do--then tell me it's producing a big benefit to the bottom line.

Like a lot of other things at golf courses, notably the F&B operation, no one knows how much carts actually produce because they never subtract all those expenses from the gross cart fees.  They are buried in the mortgage, or admin budgets, or the superintendent's budget.

Without carts, golf courses would be much less expensive to build, and less expensive to maintain.  And they'd be prettier as well.

What effect would that have on participation in the sport?

K

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Matt Day

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2012, 02:51:27 AM »
Ken
we run 78 carts on a municipal 36 holes course and I'm happy to send you via PM the numbers. We can demonstrate the total revenue less lease costs, less lease staff costs, less electricity, less quarterly maintenance, less repairs, less path construction and maintenance less turf repairs still demonstrates a healthy profit.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back