News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lance Rieber

O/ T Playing this weekend? Where at?
« on: June 01, 2012, 08:13:32 PM »
Just curious what plans you have for playing this weekend. Nice here in Boise but probably only hitting balls.  What are your plans, casual golf, tourney or none at all?

Mark Saltzman

Re: O/ T Playing this weekend? Where at?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:27:40 PM »
Supposed to be cold and raining so likely only playing thrice this weekend.

Heron Point GL (McBroom)
Mystic (?)
Uplands (Thompson)

Carl Johnson

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 09:11:09 PM »
I plan to try the 9-hole Old Fort, NC, golf course for the first time.  Here's a golfer's review from GolfLink: "July 02, 2010.
My wife and I played this course today. I read the reviews before playing....and they weren't bad so we decided to give it a go. We were disappointed. There was not a single flat lie on the course....and there were more blind shots than I like. I have played a large number of 9 hole courses and they are all the same....they try and cram a lot of golf into a very small space. This was no exception. All the fairways slope one way or the other...and you need to play the slope in order to score well. All the greens tended to be elevated as well. The fairways weren't overly wide...but they weren't really tight either. There was also a fair amount of winter kill in the fairways due to the harsh winter this past year. The greens however were great...and putted well. It was only $9 to walk...so it was a great deal. If you are looking for a course with flat lies and generous forgiving fairways....drive by this place. If you like blind shots and never having a level lie....stop here!"

This is a small town course in the North Carolina Mountains.  I'll post a report.  One of the reasons I'm interested is that this course is where one of my younger law partners learned his golf, and he ended up with a Duke U. golf scholarship.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:26:55 PM by Carl Johnson »

Brad Tufts

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
Tedesco Sunday morning...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 09:17:49 PM »
I hope to visit Jim Kennedy @ Hotchkiss, but it depends on some family logistics.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
Carl, that course ands like a lot of fun to play!  I will be interested on your take. Have fun!

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 09:25:09 PM »
Queenstown in Maryland
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 09:38:28 PM by Craig_Rokke »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 09:35:46 PM »
Willow Oaks in Richmond.

noonan

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 09:43:20 PM »
Sunday morning  7:45 with my son, his friend, and my golfing buddy at a nice muni

Will be a fun day!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 02:30:59 AM »
A foursomes medal at The Northumberland this morning.
Tomorrow, managing our Jumior League team away at Blyth.
Tuesday, maybe Elie.
Wednesday, HCEG for 36 and lunch.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2012, 03:28:15 AM »
Sunday June 3 is a celebration of the 80th anniversary of the East course opening at Royal Melbourne.
18 holes followed by a 3 course lunch, and talk by John Green, on the course's designer - Alex Russell.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Cory Lewis

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2012, 06:55:58 AM »
Gonna play 9 with the wife at work before my shift begins at noon.  Great day to play golf in Pinehurst!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Mac Plumart

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2012, 08:00:38 AM »
The 'mont
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »
Played this morning (6AM start) at Bro-Bĺlsta GK in Sweden.
Wind, driving rain and temp of 6C.
Shot 81 nett (off 6) and came 3rd in my class; shows what a horrible day it was.

EDIT: Today was the coldest June day in Stockholm in 84 years. The poor souls running today in the Stockholm marathon had it tough.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 06:09:36 AM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

Tim Johnson

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2012, 09:07:35 AM »
Sat-Guelph Lakes
Sun- Glancaster

Mark P- HCEG, sweet. I will always remember the phone call with my dad in August 2006 as we were planning a 2 week trip in Scotland.
"Dad, there are only a couple of teetimes left for May 07, 36 and lunch will run us about $1400 canadian"
"You ever going to play Muirfield with your old man again?.....here is my card number, book it"

Great day, would have loved to play it from the back tees but still a great day.

Play well boys.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2012, 01:57:09 PM »
Meeting GCA contrib, Morgan Clawson at Keller GC, Minneapple, slated for extensive 2 year reno by Richard Mandell, after this season.  I'm anxious to see the old course with impressive history.  We were on Lake Minnetonka until after dark last eve, gorgeous weather here in Minnie.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mark Johnson

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2012, 03:14:06 PM »
visiting Chicago on business

Briarwood yesterday
Medinah 3 Monday

J_ Crisham

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »
Olympia fields earlier today, Flossmoor tomorrow, Lake Shore on Monday for a charity outing.

Gene Greco

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2012, 10:01:07 PM »
Sunday June 3 is a celebration of the 80th anniversary of the East course opening at Royal Melbourne.
18 holes followed by a 3 course lunch, and talk by John Green, on the course's designer - Alex Russell.

MM

As El Bogero might say, he being the Southern Gentleman from the great state of Tennessee, " Winner, winner, chicken dinner."
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Lance Rieber

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 12:51:22 AM »
I wish I was playing somewhere at all let alone someplace this group would be envious. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
Dismal. And dismal it wasn't.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Howard Riefs

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 07:37:13 PM »
Dismal. And dismal it wasn't.

Glad you enjoyed your first trip, your honor.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Terry Lavin

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »
It was revelatory in many respects.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Carl Nichols

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2012, 07:51:51 PM »
Played my home course yesterday, which was a beautiful day for golf in DC.  Won money in a standard fourball even though the other team chipped in twice for birdie and bounced one off the top of a pond retaining wall to make a hole-tying par.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2012, 07:53:33 PM »
Played the Jersey shore Renault Vineyard Golf course on Saturday with Shimony.  Very pleasantly surprised and worthy of a photo tour starting soon.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back