News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Rees Jones on The Course of the Future
« on: May 25, 2012, 10:57:18 AM »
I read this press release this morning from The Golf Press Association, I know that a press release is going to have all kinds of funny marketing speak but I think there are some gems in here. I'll be curious to hear the thoughts of anyone who has played the course.

http://www.thegolfwire.com/stories/260881

Dan Herrmann

Re: Rees Jones on The Course of the Future
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »
It's written in a way that makes it sound like he's discovered "our" religion.

Quoting, "Jones incorporated windswept bunkers of yesteryear to help define the holes and provide strategic value."

Looking at course photos, I didn't see any "windswept bunkers of yesteryear", but at least he seems to be trying.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:35:00 PM »
Dan:

I've said a couple of times that when you read interviews, Rees doesn't sound much different than I do.  But our work is VERY different, and it's obvious to anyone who actually goes and sees the courses.  I'm sure that a lot of people prefer his style; I just wish he'd describe it accurately.

Didn't Rees take some jabs at unmaintainable bunkers (or something like that) in the last interview that was excerpted here, less than a year ago?

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 10:23:09 PM »
The most telling thing in the article was this:
"During two days at The Club at Viniterra this week with developers, members, guests and media, Jones was able to witness first hand what he had been hearing since the course debuted a few years ago and recently welcomed public play: Viniterra is a high-quality course constructed for today's modern golfer."
It tells you his most recent design was "debuted a few years ago" and now it has gone "public"....
and the website will wow you with:
"The Club at Viniterra saves as much as 80% of the water consumed by traditional courses, and exclusively uses the grass hybrid “Celebration,” which is far more draught-resistant and requires 70% less water to maintain than traditional course sods. "  WOW....

nothing more than PR.... ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 12:21:40 AM »
Sam you got feedback from the best.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »

A Mike Young sighting is like praise from Caesar. I don't know what Brauer's excuse for not posting is, The Stars have been out for a couple of weeks.

Mike_Young

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 07:09:30 AM »

A Mike Young sighting is like praise from Caesar. I don't know what Brauer's excuse for not posting is, The Stars have been out for a couple of weeks.

Sam,
And you probably still think Donald Ross is a virgin , right?

As for RJ:  I was just reading a press release.  Much of his work doesn't bother me at all and the comments are so obviously made for PR that that I let it fly over.   What bothers me more is when someone takes an old vintage course and destroys it in the name of restoration. Those are the PR pieces that are fun to read. I just came from playing some old gems(  Essex and Myopia) and as much as I enjoyed those places it kept bringing back memories of other vintage courses that have been lost forever due to changes made in the name of restoration.....
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 11:30:46 AM »

Sam,
And you probably still think Donald Ross is a virgin , right?

As for RJ:  I was just reading a press release.  Much of his work doesn't bother me at all and the comments are so obviously made for PR that that I let it fly over.   What bothers me more is when someone takes an old vintage course and destroys it in the name of restoration. Those are the PR pieces that are fun to read. I just came from playing some old gems(  Essex and Myopia) and as much as I enjoyed those places it kept bringing back memories of other vintage courses that have been lost forever due to changes made in the name of restoration.....

Dunno about Donald Ross but the average GCA poster yes.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:06:52 PM »
"today's modern golfer"

versus today's traditional golfer, yesterday's modern golfer or yesterday's traditional golfer?

or contrasted with tomorrow's traditional and modern golfers?

or ... I just don't know!

Who is today's modern golfer? Can I be him or her?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 07:56:42 PM »
Calling Viniterra a course of the future is doom for the game of golf.

Wind swept bunkers? Didn't see them.

This course requires one and only one swing thought to get around: stand over the ball and make a perfect swing every time. Each shot is pre-defined for you.

And, if someone can examine 15 and 17 - two par 3's and tell me anything different about them, I'd love to hear it. Think I'm kidding? Look for yourself.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 03:30:59 PM »

I don't know what Brauer's excuse for not posting is, The Stars have been out for a couple of weeks.
ROTFLOL... Go Kings!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back