News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan King

Patrick_Mucci writes:
You've previously indicated that you don't keep score, so consequences have no meaning for you.

So the only possible consequence you can have in golf is a number on a scorecard?

Cheers,
Dan King
Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.

David Harshbarger

Pat,

It's an interesting argument and as such attracts counter examples, but that said, I think it is largely sound.  Boiled down, variety in clubs is a proxy for interest, so, yeah, better than not.

Are there (5) courses in the world with straight holes that measure (D) + (PW) + [iron gap yardage] * 0..10?  For the sake of argument, if you ranked the World's courses from top to bottom, I would bet there are 5 within the bottom 20% alone. So, if you take your thesis strictly, we can all imagine a cow pasture that meets the hypothesis but fails the conclusion.  

That said, if the Par-3 course at Bandon extracts every club from your bag, or any Par-3 course of enough holes, would you grant that it is good GCA?

Dave

The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

David Harshbarger

Pat,

One more thing, your point about Seminole is excellent, and goes beyond your basic argument.  You are saying if a course tests all clubs in the bag regardless of conditions, that's a significant hurdle to carry.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Patrick_Mucci

Patrick_Mucci writes:
You've previously indicated that you don't keep score, so consequences have no meaning for you.

So the only possible consequence you can have in golf is a number on a scorecard?

In competition, that's the ultimate goal, a low score.
That doesn't mean that there aren't collateral benefits and joys associated with the round.
But if I'm in a qualifier, my score is the only thing that measures my effort that day.
Ditto other medal play and/or money rounds.

I think there are Macro and Micro goals/rewards, but, in competition, score is the primary goal

Cheers,
Dan King
Judge Smails: Ty, what did you shoot today?
Ty Webb: Oh, Judge, I don't keep score.
Judge Smails: Then how do you measure yourself with other golfers?
Ty Webb: By height.

Always loved that line and that movie

Ditto "Hollywood Knights"

Neil White

Pat,

I carry 14 clubs but generally tend to only use 10 per round - this number remains fairly static regardless of what type of course I'm playing.

I played Aberdovey about a month ago and used:-

Driver 9.5 degree
4-hybrid
2 iron
5 iron
7 iron
8 iron
9 iron
Wedge
60 degree - for recovery from aside a green
Putter

The course was playing fairly firm and I used 7 and 8 irons from about 50 yards out to chip and run as well as my putter from about 20 yards out.

When I played Lindrick the greens were fairly soft and receptive so I used my 52 - 56 - 60 degree wedges more often to fly the ball to the pin in lieu of my 9 iron and wedge which I don't tend to hit full anyway.

I have a 4 iron which rarely gets an outing as the 4-hybrid is just more versatile.  The 2-iron comes in especially handy when I'm looking for placement over distance and also as an alternative to the driver when the ground is firm and fast.

I can't remember the last time where I would've had to have used all 14 clubs in one round.

Neil.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back