News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Voelker

Re: Return to Cal Club
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2012, 09:36:33 AM »
One question about the firm conditions at Cal Club -- does anyone know what kind of sand they used to cap the course (as I understand they did when they renovated) and/or the kinds of grass out there?  The sand in the divot mix is really dark, and the greens are a very dark green.  The fairway grass is also interesting.
I can't answer your question about the fairway sand type, but I know they created a "sand gradient" on all fairways where they laid down 4" of new sand and then blended it in with the underlying soil to a depth of 8-10".  This might account for the dark color you noticed.  The grass varieties in the fairways are a mix of three different fine fescues and Colonial bentgrass.  Greens are bentgrass (A1/A4 mix).  The color of the greens is due to the protocol employed to maintain the pH of the soil in a range that favors bentgrass and suppresses poa.  I don't know exactly how the protocol works. 

There is an application that turns the greens the color they are.  I know a few of the assistants there are members of the discussion group, so I will leave it to them to speak up if they so choose.

Chip Gaskins

Re: Return to Cal Club
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2012, 06:41:53 PM »
i am a broken record on cal club, but it is simply the best course north of cypress point. amazing place!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back