News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us.

Steven Blake

Re: Lawsonia update
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
Mr. Chase,

You not having played at Lawsonia is a bit dissappointing! If you come into town let me know and we will play it together!

Steven Blake

PCCraig

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »
Great news indeed. It's a very neat green that is actually pretty severe and a tough up and down if missed from the tee. Hopefully the tree removal will make the player feel a little less secure on the tee.

Forgive me if someone mentioned this above, but I thought it was discussed at the Midwest Mashie last year that the 14th green was reconstructed to its current form since that older photo was taken.

It's great to see the Superintendent of Lawsonia continue the fantastic restorative efforts made to the Links course over the past ~15 years.
H.P.S.

Steven Blake

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2012, 04:58:35 PM »
Mr. Craig,

It is great to see! The course is a complete joy to play, these changes only enhance the course!

Steven Blake

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2012, 09:46:37 PM »

This was from last September...when I was hitting my approach up to the 13th green, the trees seemed really out of place and gave the green complex an akward feel compared to the previous 13 on the course.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:53:12 PM by Jonathan Decker »

Phil McDade

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »
[imghttp://img39.imageshack.us/img39/9281/1000386h.jpg][/img]

This was from last September...when I was hitting my approach up to the 13th green, the trees seemed really out of place and gave the green complex an akward feel compared to the previous 13 on the course.

Jonathan Decker

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 10:00:12 PM »
Wow what a great change! It obvious that the first picture really makes that green complex stand out, so I'm guessing they restored the complex to look similar??

The trees in the other pictures should have been removed for a lot of reasons. But architecturally the visual from the tee is really enhanced if they got the look of the first 1930's picture.  I love that look especially on greens were the pad is raised above the existing topography like 14, it adds a dynamic that is really cool.  It really throws your depth perception off particularly for feel players like me that rely on gut instinct, instead of yardages.  Plus it really shows off Mr. Langford's artistic ability where before it was hidden. 

Agronomically speaking, this will be a huge plus!!  Having that amount of shade and lack of air movement is not a great idea for growing good turf.  It’s a step in the right direction considering a vast majority of their greens are in the open to begin with .. .

Is there anyone who actually thinks the last 2 pictures look better than the first one?  I guess I have a hard time understanding why golf courses continually planted trees like that!  From almost every point of view the 1930's photo is the best rendition of this hole.

Kudos to Mark Lyons the superintendent at Lawsonia!

Mr. Blake,

If you look at the pic I posted you'll see one of the only two areas with poor turf on the course, with the other being 14 green and tee.

Any insights if they took any of these trees down as well?

JD

Brian Hilko

« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2012, 03:56:52 AM »
I would love to see the trees removed on 13 as well. I recall from a prevous post langford was rather fond of 13 and all the options it presented. Plus hitting to this elevated green on a windy day would be quite the challenge with further tree removal. On a personal note I can't wait to get back to Lawsonia. What a special place.
Down with the brown

Steven Blake

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2012, 08:53:52 AM »
Mr. Decker,

Rumor has it just the trees behind #14 for now.  If im not mistaken the #13th used to be a double fairway.  I believe Mr. McDade wrote something in a thread about that a few years ago. If that is the case it would be nice to restore this as well!

Steven Blake

PCCraig

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2012, 08:58:54 AM »
This thread just reminds me that it's been way too long since I've been to Lawsonia. Need to plan a trip back there soon.
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back