News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Gil Hanse to renovate Vineyard GC
« on: April 14, 2012, 01:50:52 PM »
Apologies if this has already been posted.  Gil and Jim are renovating Vineyard GC starting later this year.  Anyone have thoughts on what the potential is for the property and the flaws of the current course/routing?

Profile which mentions the project:
http://thelarkingroup.com/team/gil-hanse/

Course website:
http://www.vineyardgolf.com/vineyard-golf

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 07:49:52 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Joel_Stewart

Re: Gil Hanse to do major work at Vineyard GC
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 04:14:59 PM »
When you say "major" renovation, what exactly do you mean?  This is a Donald Steele course that isn't that old.  Will be interesting to see what Gil has in mind.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Gil Hanse to do major work at Vineyard GC
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 07:34:46 PM »
http://www.mvtimes.com/marthas-vineyard/article.php?id=10045

Could be a model?

Only one hole of The Vineyard is "stuck" out in an environmental area. Not sure they can change that.

Gil Hanse and Donald Steel certainly have VERY different bunkering styles. I like both, but they are different for sure. This could be a very interesting renovation.

Honestly, this is the modern version of Jones on a Raynor in terms of bunkering style, but I respect what Gil Hanse did at Sleepy Hollow so let's see.

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re: Gil Hanse to do major work at Vineyard GC New
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 07:56:22 PM »
When you say "major" renovation, what exactly do you mean?  This is a Donald Steele course that isn't that old.  Will be interesting to see what Gil has in mind.

Joel,

I don't know all the details but I have heard it may result in changes to the design/routing, not just cosmetic adjustments.  I changed the title until I get more specific details.  Interestingly I have always heard Nantucket GC could use the same type of renovation... I wonder if they will follow suit if/when this renovation is well received.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 11:31:06 PM by Geoffrey_Walsh »

Tim Gavrich

Re: Gil Hanse to renovate Vineyard GC
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:00:35 PM »
Fascinating.  When that young a golf course is going to be renovated, red flags go up in my mind.  I've heard it's quite a good course, though.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Steve Lapper

Re: Gil Hanse to renovate Vineyard GC New
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:47:21 PM »
This project has been in the works for some time.

He'll be doing green expansion and minimal bunkering.

This project came together with the foresight and leadership of a VGC member who lurks here from time to time. Rumor has it, he's learned a lot on this site.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 09:54:46 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back