News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve Scott

An update from Paramount Country Club near NYC
« on: April 13, 2012, 08:22:58 PM »
A lot of people have asked me over the last few months about why I made the move to Paramount CC in New City, NY and how they can play it...so I decided to write a little post about what has been going on...I am really excited by everything at Paramount.  The Tillinghast course restoration done by Jim Urbina is exceptional.  What is great is that the owners have decided to offer a National Membership to out-of-area golfers who would want to play the course when coming through the NYC area.  Let me know if you’re interested since there are only a couple spots open and I can get you more details.  Its really a steal considering its a Tillinghast near NYC...Send me a PM...
« Last Edit: October 01, 2012, 02:59:58 PM by Steve Scott »

Jay Flemma

Re: An update from Paramount Country Club near NYC
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:48 AM »
And I'll throw out that the work being done here is excellent.  :D  I liked the course the first time I played it...I liked it a lot more now that close to half has been finished by Jim Urbina.The opening stretch of holes has the most character out of Tillie that I have ever seen - holes like no other Tillie holes I've played anywhere else.  The restoration-redesign is coming swimmingly.  The Reef hole also dramatically improves upon the old 18th hole.

Brian Chapin is also a GCA.comer and he's done a phenomenal job up there working with Jim.  I'm in the middle of writing a long piece on it, but they are vastly improving the course.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
Wow, a membership that lets me play 20 rounds for $5,000?!?! What a deal!!!
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »

Pat,

Join the real world where golfers don't play for free because of a rater card and you will find it is indeed a great deal.  If I had business in NYC I would join in a second for the member cottages alone.

http://www.paramountcountryclub.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=294707&ssid=176202&vnf=1

As Steve said he has had a lot of people ask him how they can play the course.  He told them in this post.  I found it very refreshing.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 11:08:26 AM »
John,  I think Pat is a member at Town and Country CC, one of the old line clubs in St. Paul. Not sure if he is a rater. I agree Paramount looks special- would be a great club to call home.   
                                         Wish you well,   Jack

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
No one who is a true national member at a club plays 20 times anyway.  Paramount and other clubs only put those provisions in to protect themselves from the many, many people who lie about where they reside to cut a better deal.  I've seen it at every club where I have ever belonged. 

Jay Flemma

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Getting back to the architecture, its really great.  The Reef Hole, the skyline green, the centerline bunke, that rise to the top of the first green - they are all rare things for Tillie to do and he did them all in one place.  It's really cool for a Tillie.  The Tillie Society thought enough of it to have an event there - it's a real breakout from what we usually see from tillie.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 06:17:20 AM »
No one who is a true national member at a club plays 20 times

Except for GCA guys.  i know one who got 50+ in last year,
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 07:59:32 AM »
Or ardent golfers...they do it all the time too.  There are plenty of ardent golfers who aren't on GCA.com.  I think ardent golfers and people who like Tillie would love Paramount.  It has a lot of character.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:53:18 PM by Jay Flemma »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 09:07:00 AM »
No one who is a true national member at a club plays 20 times

Except for GCA guys.  i know one who got 50+ in last year,

Jud,

I take it that someone played 50 rounds at Kingsley. How far away does he live from the course and how man-days of play does that equal?

Jud_T

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 09:30:14 AM »
He lives just over 300 miles away (4 1/2 hour drive).  Not sure how many days that was but figure 36-45 holes/day on average.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:32:21 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »
He lives just over 300 miles away (4 1/2 hour drive).  Not sure how many days that was but figure 36-45 holes/day on average.

Thanks, I had a membership similar to the one offered by Paramount and the 20 round limit was actually 20 play days. As you can see from your Kingsley example 20 days is quite enough for someone 300 miles away. Of course I have also seen national memberships sold for as little as 70 miles away which is quite different.

I haven't seen Paramount so can't say if this is a great deal or not. My argument is with Pat on saying that the model sucks. I haven't seen Winged Foot either but would take them up on this type of offer sight unseen. 

Bruce Katona

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »
You quote two exceptional folks who have maximized their National Memberships.  The majority of National members play less than 10 rounds/year at their National Club.

Jud_T

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 09:55:02 AM »
I was quite surprised when I inquired at a NYC Metro club about non-resident memberships and they said they only offered them to former full members who had relocated.  I'm not talking about Shinny or National either.  Any club that doesn't have a 2 year wait list would be foolish not to offer such a membership IMO.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 10:11:01 AM »
Thanks for the information Steve.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:15:08 AM »
I was quite surprised when I inquired at a NYC Metro club about non-resident memberships and they said they only offered them to former full members who had relocated.  I'm not talking about Shinny or National either.  Any club that doesn't have a 2 year wait list would be foolish not to offer such a membership IMO.
I agree- anyone who is coming in is generally bringing guests,eating onsite,utilizing caddies etc. Great source of revenue for a club. I have looked at a few, The Cal Club and Mountain Lake which are both tremendous clubs. Not sure at this point in my life I would get to either more than once or twice  a year. Decisions.......

Steve Lapper

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2012, 10:38:44 AM »
As many of you know, I am involved with the ownership and management of Paramount CC. We are indeed very, very proud of all the work that been done by all involved towards restoring the club and course to its architectural integrity and operational excellence. Great people have been, and are, doing great things up there!

To that extent,  we are finally seeing a very healthy pace of new members. That's encouraging and reaffirms our belief that as the course and facilities get better, and terrific people are running the place......membership expansion will follow.

We launched a National Membership category and while our original offer contained a limit on golf rounds, we've since determined that flexibility is "Paramount," and as such, if anyone you know is interested, have them directly PM me or Steve Scott. We'll be happy to discuss terms that are uniquely suited to an individual's needs. We do this not because we have to, but instead out of pride and competitive value that the club offers.

As for people who join clubs under the auspice of a National Membership category (and then proceed to make it their primary golfing venue), I'd ask what they really believe they are accomplishing? Are they successfully gaming the system? Sure, but they are also effectively abusing the trust of their fellow members....not a practice I'd want to support at my private club. :( >:(

And you wonder why clubs put such limitations on differentiated, narrower memberships?? ::)

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »
Steve,

Best of luck.  I know of one who guy who gamed the system for years at my old club.  Made me think less of him and the club (it wasn't a well-kept secret and he could easily afford the full ride).  I have already recommended Paramount to some young Wall Street GCA lurkers.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 10:50:51 AM by Jud Tigerman »

Jim Colton

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2012, 11:15:26 AM »

I haven't seen Paramount, but I can think of at least a dozen or so places where I'd sign up for this in a heartbeat.

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2012, 11:27:42 AM »

I haven't seen Paramount, but I can think of at least a dozen or so places where I'd sign up for this in a heartbeat.

Good for you.
H.P.S.

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »
I enjoyed an outstanding day last Summer out at Paramount. Between the location, staff, and quality of the golf course I can't imagine anyone that would be disappointed with the terms described in the original post. Add together Tilly's original design and the work of Jim Urbina and Paramount is a winner with certain hidden gem status. The easy proximity from Rockland County into NYC ramps up the allure even more. Anybody that is considering this offer needs to get over there and play the golf course. You won't be disappointed!

Jay Flemma

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2012, 11:56:42 AM »
More than that - Jim Urbina and Brian Chapin brought back all the strategies and angles that had been lost over the years.  There is so much to like:  the skyline green at six (has anyone seen any other Tillie skyline greens?), the centerline bunker at 5, the larger green pads which makes for more angles as well as hole locations.  The work is superb.  Pix coming...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back