News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Bogey's Photo Friday
« on: April 13, 2012, 09:52:02 AM »
The 7th at Memphis CC (1940)

The 7th at Memphis CC (2007) :'(

Sports Illustrated Golf Game Course circa 1974

Wild Horse!

Hillbilly Ingenuity at Aiken Golf Club

Have a great weekend.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim Gavrich

Re: Bogey's Photo Friday
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 09:57:13 AM »
I love the grass bump short of the green in the first picture.  So much.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Craig Disher

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »
Keep these coming, Bogey. The grass around the green looks like it's been cut to act like rails on a billiard table - a ball running up against it might carom back onto the green rather than run off the edge.

Eric Smith

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:12:36 AM »

Thanks again Bogey. Do I see a bit of Augusta National in your design? :)

Btw, do you work in that big beautiful building downtown? I took the girls to the Schermerhorn last night and was in awe of both buildings lit up at night. First time I've been to a performance there, my oh my was it ever special.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 10:15:45 AM »
The 7th at Memphis CC (1940)

Nice clubhouse.
Or house.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 10:31:32 AM »
Tim, I think my design is Pine Valley meets Augusta National.  Funny how this reflects the reality of the times:  over-treed, flanking fairway bunkers, too much water, no short par four,  length for length's sake.  Perhaps I'll use the same routing and draw a 2012 version reflecting general prinicples advocated on this site.

Bruce, sadly that clubhouse is NLE.  Replaced by a red brick Georgian structure.

Tim, I do work in the building you mentioned, looking out over the symphony center and Bridgestone arena.  I think most would be surprised by the absolutely world class Schermerhorn - the actual performance hall is a building constructed inside a building to enhance and isolate sound.  For a GCA connection, the Ingram family was a primary benefactor and Bronson Ingram was a member at Augusta National Golf Club. 

FWIW I believe Kris Spence has been engaged by Memphis CC.  Perhaps he'll log on and discuss his work there, if permitted to do so.

Mike 

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 10:34:53 AM »
Tim, another mound, this at the first.  I like the way it works in tandem with the stair-stepped bunkers right of the green.

This approach is slightly downhill so I'm guessing the mound appeared from the fairway as though it directly fronted the green.

John_Cullum

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »
I like the look of the pines behind 7
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:16:53 PM »
Not even one Biarritz photo to liven up this nice Friday?    ;D

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 12:31:12 PM »
Wonderful old photo of Memphis.

I'm glad you ignored the "Do no rob" message.  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 12:46:35 PM »

Thanks again Bogey. Do I see a bit of Augusta National in your design? :)

Btw, do you work in that big beautiful building downtown? I took the girls to the Schermerhorn last night and was in awe of both buildings lit up at night. First time I've been to a performance there, my oh my was it ever special.

I see a little bit of Jim Engh in those holes with the wrap around bunkers near the greens.  I've seen that concept used on pretty much every Engh course I've played.

Good stuff Bogey, I'm loving your Friday threads....

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:57:33 PM »
Wonderful old photo of Memphis.

I'm glad you ignored the "Do no rob" message.  ;D

I believe it says "rub".

Kris Spence

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 08:32:52 PM »
The old photos of Memphis are from 1938 or so, about 25 years after Ross designed the course in 1915.  We used these photos ,as well as, an  aerial from around the same time to restore the bunkers.  The project also included a major tee renovation that lowered the tee profiles, added width, laser leveled with Diamond Zoysia tee tops.  The work was completed May 2011.

If you look closely, you can see the remnants of the old mound short of 7 green, it is within the approach cut and rises  about a foot to foot and a half.  We discussed this mound and the one at the first hole a good bit during the planning process and decided not to restore them at this time.  There was  concern about the impact on the higher handicap players.

I would love to see those pines go behind the 7th, it would open a phenomenal vista across the  property and reveal the definition of the fill pad so much better.  #7 is a great medium length par 3, the front third of the green slopes to the approach at about 7 or 8% and gets down right nasty.

Memphis has a strong reputation for maintaining some of the fastest and purest rolling greens  in the country.  The greens are Champion ultradwarf and some of the best surfaces I have played bent or bermuda.   Most of the greens are the original Ross surfaces, I think #2 and #3 are the only greens that have been altered in any way.  Hopefully we will get to expand them within the next few years.

One of these day I will get around to posting some photos of the finished work.

john_stiles

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 11:15:31 PM »

Love the Aiken Golf Club.  Thanks for the Mayhugh-ish photo of the unusual feature.

Locals probably still remember the fine flowly orange outfit worn by the good Doctour from the Dixie Cup at Aiken.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back