News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Steve_ Shaffer

Knoll West article by Matt Ward/George Bahto
« on: April 12, 2012, 03:57:09 PM »
Here's a good article in the latest edition of Met Golfer on George Bahto's work at Charles Banks'  Knoll West. An event for GCA members is in the works for this summer. Stay tuned.

http://www.metgolferdigital.com/issue/60788

The article appears on page 54.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim_Kennedy

Re: Knoll West article by Matt Ward/George Bahto
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 04:17:44 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for posting the link.

Nice to see some thorough research done before putting pen to paper, good job Matt,  and a nice feather in George's cap.

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:36:16 PM »
Looks like Doakie has one on P. 38, as well.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:50:35 PM »
Thanks Steve
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 12:52:30 AM »
The Knoll is a great golf course.

The architecture is unique, and at 7,000 yards, par 70, all the challenge you could want.

On two occassions, my home club in NJ tried to swap clubs.
Prior to that, a group of Knoll members, that I knew,  tried to buy the club from Joe Aiello's daughter, but there were bad feelings between the two factions and a deal that would have preserved the club as a private club never happened.   Why Bloomfield College bought the club is still a mystery to me.

Years later, when the town owned the club, I offered my services to the Mayor, gratis, to restore the course.
Unfortunately, I believe the Mayor went on a forced vacation and nothing ever came of it.

I love the Knoll.

George Bahto wrote a book about the club which anyone interested in architecture and history should obtain.
There's a lot more to the Knoll's history that George and I are aware of, but that will have to remain for private conversations.

The clubhouse was elegant and Mr Aiello's ran the club "his" way.

I love dogs, especially big dogs.
Mr Aiello's had a pet boxer and he took the dog everywhere with him, including inside the clubhouse.
I used to play with the dog and Mr Aiello's liked that.

One day a new member was at the club and Mr Aiello and a number of members who enjoyed "most favored nation" status were sitting in the back area of the men's locker room having drinks, chatting and having fun.  Mr Aiello's boxer is there by his side and gets up and wanders off into the other area of the men's locker.

The new member sees the dog wandering around the locker room and approaches the famous locker man, Freddie, and states complaining bitterly and loudly about the dog.

Mr Aiello hears the commotion and gets up and goes to where Freddy and the new member are engaged and says, what's the problem.
The new member goes on a tirade about the dog in the locker room.

Mr Aiello listens patiently to the rant, which is non-stop.
What kind of club is this ?
I should call the board of health, etc, etc..

Finally, Mr Aiello says words to the effect, do you know what that dog is going to do that you can't do ?
The guy says, "what?"
Mr Aiello says, he's going to see and roam in this locker room again, and you aren't.
Clear out your locker and you'll have your check in the morning.

Now back to Freddie, the locker man.  He was "wild", crazy.

He'd throw cherry bombs in the shower room

One day there's a tournament.
One of the members, a handsome but tough as nails guy nobody messed with, comes to the 18th hole needing par to win a lot of money and get his name up on a board.   He three putts and loses.  Freddie gets on the P.A., blows a whistle, like in the navy, and announces, over the P.A. To the whole club, "now hear this, now here this, he blew it on the 18th green.  He choked and 3 putted to lose it all.  Now hear this, now hear this, ________ choked and blew it all"

the guy, fuming and humiliated comes into the locker room and says, "where's Freddie ?"

Everyone now fears for Freddie's life.
No one will tell him where Freddie is.

Finally Freddie can hide no longer and appears in the Men's locker room.
The guy approaches him and says, "I got something for you"
Everybody in the locker room is quiet as a mouse and fearful that this may be Freddie's last day at the club and on this earth.
the guy reaches in his pocket and now guys are ducking for cover.
He pulls out a one hundred dollar bill and says, "here's a "C" note for you, had I won I was going to give you a "G"
Now in those days, $ 100 was a lot of money.

Like in "caddy shack" Freddie. Used to grind and ruin shoes if he didn't like the guy.
But, he enjoyed most favored nation status with Mr Aiello.

On the golf course they used to play "a dime a yard", with carry overs.
In the 40's and 50's that was a lot of money.

Matt wrote a nice article

If a GCA.com get together is held there, you should make every effort to attend.

George and I talked about a combo event and even thought of including Essex County which is nearby.

Great job George and great job Matt.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:56:54 AM by Patrick_Mucci »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 06:54:32 AM »
Thank you for bringing that interesting article to our attention. The article claimed it was a big surprise when Marr included the course among his top 10, and no doubt it was a surprise to many, but not a big one for those familiar with the history of the course. Sarazen had a similar opinion of the course, and what first got my attention was the The Knoll being featured in that great book The Encyclopedia of Golf (edited by HW Wind among others), which was published in 1975. It was one of only 100 American courses in that book. There were quite a few hidden gems featured in that book.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 07:45:22 AM »

If a GCA.com get together is held there, you should make every effort to attend.

George and I talked about a combo event and even thought of including Essex County which is nearby.

Sunday afternoon at The Knoll and Monday at MR would be a very nice event.

astavrides

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 07:51:09 AM »
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 12:53:02 PM by astavrides »

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 08:02:45 AM »
Looks like Doakie has one on P. 38, as well.

Liberty National "spectacular"? 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 09:18:31 AM »
why does matt ward no longer post in the discussion group?

See Melvyn's post. Opinionated, obnoxious, condescending, post on East Coast time, often wrong never in doubt...

That has to be Matt Ward!!  ;D

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:10:01 AM »
"post on East Coast time"

The greatest sin of them all...
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tony Ristola

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 05:04:18 AM »
Pat M.,

Great stories. Stuff like that would make an interesting and hilarious book.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 02:06:11 PM »
Tony,

George and I could probably write a very interesting book on the Knoll

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:01:52 PM »
Steve,
Thanks for the link to the article.  I really enjoyed it, especially looking at the old aerial. 

Mark McKeever

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 01:41:03 PM »
Thanks for the insight guys!  Looking forward to an outing there this year!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2012, 08:59:38 AM »
I played Knoll West last March in some very cold weather. Many of the holes were excellent, and IMO, many were bland.The fact the I actually shelled out $65 to walk 18 with some snow on the ground didn't excite me either. Probably a muchbetter course in mid summer. A few of the greens were off limits and covered with large tarps. I apologize for my camera batteries dying, but here are a few iPhone photos. Nice story.

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2012, 09:03:07 AM »

Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back