News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Conwy Second Club Membership
« on: April 12, 2012, 10:16:54 AM »
Conwy is clearly in need of income. Some of you may be interested in this:

If you have a friend or colleague who is currently a full member of another golf club they can now join Conwy as a 2nd Club member.

The cost will be 50% of the relevant full membership. For instance, a Full Gents Membership is £588 and the 2nd Club membership would only be £294.

This is an opportunity to join a Championship Links Course where they can play golf all year round.

The full rules are as follows;

- The Conwy „Second Club‰ member must be a paid up FULL MEMBER of his/her home club

 Proof of the above will be required at each subscription payment

 The Conwy subscription will be 50% of the current year‚s full subscription for all categories

 The „Second Club‰ member will have 7-day playing rights

 The „Second Club‰ member will not be eligible to play in Club competitions but will be eligible for any OPEN competitions

 Should the „Second Club‰ member wish to revert to Full Member Status at Conwy at any time, the full membership fee difference would then become payable immediately

 A „Second Club‰ member will be permitted to play with 3 guests on 4 occasions per annum at the current operative members/guest rate

 A „Second Club‰ member will have full access to discounted bar and catering facilities and access to member social events

If you or a friend require further details or an application form please ring 01492 592423 or email admin@conwygolfclub.com

David Cronheim

Re: Conwy Second Club Membership
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 11:56:58 AM »
It's certainly an interesting theory - charging less for a 2nd member. I'd imagine it might not sit so well with the regular members and there could definitely be some scheming to join a cheap first club to avail oneself of the discount. It's somewhat akin to the national membership model in the US. Either way, I applaud the club for looking into creative solutions. Membership structures that are tiered to fit the unique circumstances of a club are becoming more common. My favorite (purely from the standpoint of a golf lawyer who draws up these types of membership arrangements and agreements) is Saucon Valley, which has varying levels of national membership based upon how far someone lives from the club. Imagine graduated concentric circles radiating from the club that were designed to tie how often a member is likely to use the course to that member's fee. Fantastic.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 12:05:32 PM »
So per David's speculation, is private-club golf in the UK truly affordable enough nowadays that you could find a real club with subscriptions significantly less than the 294-pound difference in First and Second at Conwy. That's a yearly sub not much more than my monthly dues levy...

At the risk of going OT let me ask one other golf-cultural-question. How big a deal would a typical UK member consider the "no club competitions" restriction to be? Do most folks really enjoy and take advantage of the comps? Is it important enough that a lot of potential members would gladly pay a couple hundred quid per year for that privilege?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:07:48 PM by Brent Hutto »

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:30:06 PM »
So per David's speculation, is private-club golf in the UK truly affordable enough nowadays that you could find a real club with subscriptions significantly less than the 294-pound difference in First and Second at Conwy. That's a yearly sub not much more than my monthly dues levy...

At the risk of going OT let me ask one other golf-cultural-question. How big a deal would a typical UK member consider the "no club competitions" restriction to be? Do most folks really enjoy and take advantage of the comps? Is it important enough that a lot of potential members would gladly pay a couple hundred quid per year for that privilege?

Brent

It is probably a deal breaker if the guy can't play in comps, but if he can play, but not win, then not so much.  I was a member of a club which didn't allow me to win Cups, but I could play in them.  For me, I couldn't see the point of playing but not competing after driving 2.5 hours.  Consequently, I never entered Cups.  Once out of the competitive swing of the club, I never entered medals either.  This in part eventually led me to leave the club.  Having to bring your own game on the road is just too much hassle when trying to get good value out of a country membership.  Its much easier to be able to show up alone and compete.  I would think the club should reconsider this restriction if they want to maximize the potential of this promotion.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
In the case of Conwy, I wonder if a "2nd club member" will be allowed to bring a certain number of guests at the "guest of member" green fee.

I know some golf clubs in the Scottish Highlands allow full members of nearby clubs to join a 2nd club at a reduced rate, but do not grant "guest of member" privileges to them.   

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 12:55:24 PM »
Conwy is in a rather different position. It is one of the best courses in North Wales, but there are a lot of other good courses on that coast, giving it a good run for its money in attracting members and visitors. All of them offer decent winter golf when many courses in Cheshire or the Manchester area become waterlogged, flooded or closed. Many golfers from these parts keep a caravan down in North Wales for weekend or mid-week breaks. Indeed Abersoch, on the Lleyn Peninsula, is known as Wilmslow on Sea.

Its annual sub of £500+ is less than half what it would cost to be a member of one of the better Cheshire clubs, which are generally between £1,000 and £1,500 per annum. So an extra £250 to be able to play a links course, of genuine championship quality, is a bargain. You will play your competitions at your home club, where your handicap is maintained. But to be able to take your wife, a chum and his wife for a round as a mixed fourball, on terroir completely different from what you get at your home club is a perk. What's more the catering at Conwy is good, inventive and inexpensive.

Many clubs are now building twinning arrangements with other clubs, so that members of, say, Wilmslow can play, for instance, Beau Desert, Delamere Forest, Hesketh and others on a reciprocal basis for half-price green fees. There is also a county card system that effectively gives a 50% green fee at more than half the courses in the rest of England. So there are all sorts of initiatives to get us playing on a wide variety of courses, all of which are to be applauded.

As it happens, I am a life member of Conwy, which costs me only the Welsh Golf Union annual membership fee - about £10, I think. It's nice to be able to take a few friends there as visitors, to stand on the 7th tee and survey the coastline from the Great Orme to Puffin Island, and to turn inland to view the hills of Snowdonia, and to be thankful that we are still physically able to do this.

David, yes you can bring three guests on four occasions for the member introduction green fee.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:57:35 PM »
Wow, this is a really good deal if you live nearby and do not want to play in many comps. There are clubs up here offering full membership for around the hundred pounds so combine a holiday up here with that and you really get great value for money.

Jon

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:30:31 PM »
At Deal our second club members have to live at least 35 miles from the club but they have full playing rights, can enter all competitions and have a vote on club affairs. The fee is around 40% of full subs and it is our biggest membership category. David like Saucon Valley we have a further band which is 100 miles and there are no second club restrictions, this category pay about 30% of full subs. As Scott pointed out in another thread everyone is a full member.
Cave Nil Vino

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28:43 AM »
How big a deal would a typical UK member consider the "no club competitions" restriction to be?

That would be the deal breaker for me. Conway is only a 90 minute drive away and it would be a very attractive proposition to have it as my second club. However, being able to roll up and take part in some sort of competition is part and parcel of being a member of a golf club, as far as I'm concerned.

If this restriction applied only to main Saturday comps and country members could take part in midweek and informal competitions organised by the pro then the whole deal would be very tempting.

In Irish clubs, there is a stableford every Sunday morning of the year and often comps on Saturdays too. We don't get that as much in England. It's usually one stableford a month and one medal here...

I must be very lucky then. At Reddish Vale, we have a club comp every Saturday, a Pro's roll-up Stableford on Sunday, and a thriving Wednesday Section with their own weekly comp. On every other day there is an informal 'School' Stableford at 12.30 open to anyone who turns up. Is this an unusually high number of opportunities for competitive golf?

Incidentally, I'm very much looking forward to playing Conway with Mark this Wednesday.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 12:44:55 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 05:21:26 AM »
All three clubs I was invovled in around Leeds had a comp on each weekend throughout the year and atleast once a month during the week. Also, each bank holiday and the members would have an informal comp most days. Plus Ladies on Tuesdays and Thursdays, Seniors (50+) on Mondays and Thursdays (non seniors were allowed). So lots of comps to play in  :)

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 05:21:41 AM »
Duncan - I think that is unusual. None of the better clubs around London have that sort of comp schedule. I don't know about the rest of the country...

Brian

London and Kent are the oddballs of the country as "gentlemen" prefer not to exert themselves for the sake of competition - tee hee.  Burnham has two comps a week, plus two throw-ups and the cups.  If its comps you want, find a club which suits your desires.

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brent Hutto

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
How big a deal would a typical UK member consider the "no club competitions" restriction to be?

That would be the deal breaker for me. Conway is only a 90 minute drive away and it would be a very attractive proposition to have it as my second club. However, being able to roll up and take part in some sort of competition is part and parcel of being a member of a golf club, as far as I'm concerned.

If this restriction applied only to main Saturday comps and country members could take part in midweek and informal competitions organised by the pro then the whole deal would be very tempting.

In Irish clubs, there is a stableford every Sunday morning of the year and often comps on Saturdays too. We don't get that as much in England. It's usually one stableford a month and one medal here...

I must be very lucky then. At Reddish Vale, we have a club comp every Saturday, a Pro's roll-up Stableford on Sunday, and a thriving Wednesday Section with their own weekly comp. On every other day there is an informal 'School' Stableford at 12.30 open to anyone who turns up. Is this an unusually high number of opportunities for competitive golf?

Incidentally, I'm very much looking forward to playing Conway with Mark this Wednesday.

Now if we're talking about informal competitions similar to what Duncan refers to, even my USA club has plenty of those opportunities. I often play in the regular 9:30am game Saturdays and Sundays which is a pseudo-Stableford game but based on blind-draw teams. Something similar exists on Wed/Thur/Fri mornings at various starting times. There's also a "players" version of the game on Saturday mornings but it's only the near-scratch guy who like to put more than our normal 10 bucks in the pot.

What we don't have is any approximation to a play-your-own ball medal or Stableford game on any regular basic. A handful of such events per year like the club championship and such but the big events at our club are basically social occasions...scrambles and other hit-and-giggle type formats. Not much call at most clubs in my area for actual, individual, Rules of Golf competition among the weekend type players.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 04:48:00 PM »
Sean - very harsh, at Deal we have a member fourball competition in February.   :o
Cave Nil Vino

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 06:09:01 AM »
Duncan et al, there's nothing to stop you playing in roll-ups and other informal competitions. By Club competitions they mean official 'Qualifying' comps in which your scores (medal or stableford) are recorded on the computer. 

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 06:58:26 AM »
So what's the difference between this '2nd Club' membership at £295 pa and 'Country' membership which is listed on the Conway website at £420 pa?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 03:12:27 PM »
So what's the difference between this '2nd Club' membership at £295 pa and 'Country' membership which is listed on the Conway website at £420 pa?

For the first you have to be a FULL member of another club. For the second no other membership would be needed just living far enough away I presume.

Jon

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 02:36:08 PM »
Many clubs make full membership elsewhere a condition of country membership. I know we do.

David Cronheim

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:09 PM »
Many clubs make full membership elsewhere a condition of country membership. I know we do.

That's an interesting condition and one I have not heard imposed in the United States on national memberships, though my sense of it is that hardly anyone would become a national member at club without being a regular member at a club near there home. Of course, there are exceptions I'm sure, but I'm not sure such a rule applied in the US would affect many people.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

Then its a second membership in all but name. Country membership just makes it sound more friendly maybe!!!

James Boon

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 04:28:38 PM »

Duncan,

As far as I'm aware, for my Country Membership down at Burnham I didn't need to be a member elsewhere, in fact for about 18 months, it was my only membership as I kept my handicap there. I guess the thinking is that due to the distance restrictions for Country Membership its not like you are going to be there every week?

Also worth noting that I believe Notts has Country members but you need to have been a full member first, for instance people who move away from the area can remain members if hey want.

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 05:22:08 PM »

Duncan,

As far as I'm aware, for my Country Membership down at Burnham I didn't need to be a member elsewhere, in fact for about 18 months, it was my only membership as I kept my handicap there. I guess the thinking is that due to the distance restrictions for Country Membership its not like you are going to be there every week?

Also worth noting that I believe Notts has Country members but you need to have been a full member first, for instance people who move away from the area can remain members if hey want.

Cheers,

James

Boony

You are right.  I only hold country membership at Burnham.  There is no requirement for a full membership elsewhere.  This is a bit unusual though.  B&B is also a bit unusual in allowing country members full rights of membership as well.  

I like Conwy a lot and nearly joined many moons ago.  The deciding factor for me was the M6 - the motorway is far too unpredictable and over-used.  I instead joined another Welsh club - Pennard. 

Ciao  
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 05:31:54 PM by Sean Arble »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2019, 08:35:05 AM »
I unexpectedly found myself with a free day yesterday and after searching for some good weather online I drove out to Conwy for a solo round by the sea on hopefully dry turf. This autumn has been a very wet one in the western half of the UK and nearly all inland courses have become horrible mud baths.

Waiting for my tee time I got chatting to a group of a couple of dozen members around the putting green. I was delighted to be invited to join their regular Tuesday game and to put my ball in the draw.

What a lovely time I had! Even Conwy has not been immune to the wet weather and several "pop-up" lakes have appeared. Many bunkers are flooded. Generally though, I enjoyed the course immensely and just as much the company.

In fact, I liked it so much I joined the club! I am now a Second Club member of Conwy (Caernarvonshire) Golf Club!

The ability to play in regular roll-ups and so to make connections with other members is what clinched it for me. I'm not really bothered about qualifying completions - I play in enough of those at Cavendish.

The price is incredibly good value - Around £8.25 per week for unlimited golf against a summer green fee of £50.00!  ;D

mike_malone

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2019, 11:04:21 AM »
 I have considered Conwy for my trip to Buda next September. If I join there as a second club member I assume I can bring my traveling golfer as a guest of a member.

Can I get a deal at other clubs while there as a member of a UK club?
AKA Mayday

George Smiltins

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2019, 11:14:34 AM »
Curtis Cup 2020?!!!

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2019, 01:49:46 PM »
Conwy ?! Cor blimey Charlie !

Duncan

Next you'll stop shaving and start wearing a flat cap.................oh wait !

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back