News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Architect's Role in Marketing after completing a design
« on: April 10, 2012, 02:33:24 AM »
From what I can tell the approach of architects towards helping to market a completed project varies significantly.  If you were an owner hiring an architect what would you expect?  If you are an architect what is your approach and is that approach a part of your marketing pitch in trying to land the job?

Carl Johnson

Re: Architect's Role in Marketing after completing a design
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 08:20:44 PM »
From what I can tell the approach of architects towards helping to market a completed project varies significantly.  If you were an owner hiring an architect what would you expect?  If you are an architect what is your approach and is that approach a part of your marketing pitch in trying to land the job?

Good question, and, of all things, I believe it is architecture-related.  Although I'm just a golfer, not in the business, I'd be interested in responses, too, from the owners (including GMs, club presidents, etc.) and architects.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:55:56 PM »
Jason:

Basically, the more an architect is paid, the more he's expected to help with the marketing of the course.  Owners accept that they are paying for "name recognition" to some degree and want the architect's help in maximizing the value of that recognition.

Of course, every architect has different strengths in this regard.  Most professional players are great at making public appearances, but they are very strict about how many appearances they are committed to in their design contracts.  [So am I, by the way -- my time is pulled in many directions, so my contracts only include an appearance at the opening, on top of whatever the client can arrange while I am on site to work.]  Some of the professional players are also great in using their influence to secure commitments for tournament play on their courses.  My own network of friends is of more help in the world of rankings and publicity in the golf magazines generally.  Back when I used to take a lot of pictures, clients expected to use my pictures of the course as part of the fee; nowadays, they are more interested in having me write about the course for their marketing campaigns, and do interviews.

It should be obvious to anyone who participates on this web site, but it's not lost on many architects that promoting the client's project is also promotion for your abilities -- indeed, it's the best promotion you can do for yourself.  We all sound alike in interviews; it's the courses we produce that make us unique.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 09:55:11 PM »
We all sound alike in interviews; it's the courses we produce that make us unique.

Tom,
Did everyone sound alike 20 years ago?
They do all say the same thing.  Fortunately they give it away at some point.  Unfortunately the client doesn't pick up on their flaws.
Every architect says they work with the land, are environmental stewards and build fun courses that everyone can play because we have multiple sets of tees.
The last 6 words let me know they are just posers.

Jason
I've helped a number of clients from the beginning, through the construction process and afterwards - even if they weren't my own projects.
Clients get renderings and copy for websites and marketing - very few can do what we do as efficiently as we do - working all digitally helps.
If I was allowed to promote Wolf Point more I would - for the very reason Tom mentions - good for the client - good for me.

Plus my wife is a public relations professional.  So they have that going for them too.  :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:32:35 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 10:58:03 PM »
Clear Creek in Lake Tahoe organized a few outings and dinners with prospective members and Ben Crenshaw was the host.  Sadly it didn't work out for the club but it showed the business aspect of C&C and how to market a course.

Jason Topp

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 01:45:18 AM »
Thanks for the responses to this thread so far.  It lingered long enough I thought it might be a dead end. 

I perceive a wide variety in approaches from architects almost appearing as partners in the business to those that move on to the next project. 

If I were an architect fighting to get the next project, I would think about pitching myself as a person who will work hard to give the project the best chance to succeed financially.  It has to be the critical concern of many customers.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:21:09 AM »

If I were an architect fighting to get the next project, I would think about pitching myself as a person who will work hard to give the project the best chance to succeed financially.  It has to be the critical concern of many customers.

Yes, but the main thing we do to give the project the best chance to succeed financially is to advise prudently how the client spends his money.  If we waste a couple million dollars making everything look perfect, it will be hard to make up for that with marketing savvy -- but that was all too common between 1995 and 2008.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 10:12:38 AM »
Jason,

I have gotten a few projects based on my promise (later contract clause) to help them market the course, via articles here and there, help getting raters there, etc.  I do consider it my responsibility as TD notes, to them and myself!

As Tom hints, an informal agreement often causes some misunderstandings.  I usually put time limits, a minimum number of artilces by a PR guy, etc. and while I exceed those limits gladly, I try not to give the client a cart blanch to call me up on my dime and have me do stuff.   I need to at least get paid my expenses to show up a few years later at press day.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom Yost

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »
Beyond lending one's name to be used by the course for it's own marketing efforts, I don't see where an architect would have any role in marketing unless contractually specified or if some ownership is involved.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back