News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Colton

Coore & Crenshaw WSJ article 4/7
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:33:36 AM »
Happy to beat Howard Riefs to the punch (at least I think so):

WSJ article on Coore & Crenshaw's design philosophy and process. Some cool sketches/images too:

Edit: article also includes a cool video with Streamsong footage and GCAer Keith Rhebb. Is that really Florida?! (check out Coore's jacket)
http://t.co/kbxBiQWM
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 09:43:33 AM by Jim Colton »

Tom_Doak

Re: Coore & Crenshaw WSJ article 4/7
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 12:49:27 PM »
Looks like a really cool site.  Maybe somebody should build another course there!

[Oh.  I guess they just forgot to mention the other one.]

P.S.  That's the first hole on the Red course behind Bill.  He's standing on the back tee.

Eric Smith

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 01:19:19 PM »
Cool.

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 01:22:18 PM »
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 01:37:10 PM »
There was a nice interview with Ben today on golf channel where brief mentions of ANGC architecture was mentioned.

William_G

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 04:19:26 PM »
"Even if most golfers will eventually be taking carts, the route the course takes through the land should seem natural, aligned with how they would instinctively traverse the land if they were on foot," he said....

Love Bill Coore's methodology. His walking the site is so natural and respectful of the site, resulting in very nice outcomes!

Thanks for the link!
It's all about the golf!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
Happy to beat Howard Riefs to the punch (at least I think so):

Thanks for stepping in for me while I was on the course. Great article. Love this quote:

"We are still old-school. We don't do anything with CAD systems or computer programs. We're like the lumbering dinosaurs just prior to extinction, but somehow we get away with it," he said.

Looks like a really cool site.  Maybe somebody should build another course there!

[Oh.  I guess they just forgot to mention the other one.]

Time for John Paul to make a trip to Hainan Island, New Zealand or Mullen.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 08:11:07 PM »
"Even if most golfers will eventually be taking carts, the route the course takes through the land should seem natural, aligned with how they would instinctively traverse the land if they were on foot," he said....

Love Bill Coore's methodology. His walking the site is so natural and respectful of the site, resulting in very nice outcomes!

Thanks for the link!

Bill Coore has forgotten more about routing then I will ever know, but this quote seems a little odd to me when I consider how most  courses are laid out. I guess if you were asked to go for a 8000 yd walk and end up back where you started, this would make sense, but doesn't one who is instinctively traversing land go from point A to Point B? When I think about how most courses are routed I have a hard time thinking I would take a hike using the same route (unless I wanted to see all the best green sites along the way ;)).
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 10:43:24 PM by Don_Mahaffey »

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 11:36:43 PM »
If I was developing a ski area Coore might get the nod to pick and clear the trails.Seems like a great way to route a mountain.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 12:07:52 AM »

Thanks for the link!

Bill Coore has forgotten more about routing then I will ever know, but this quote seems a little odd to me when I consider how most  courses are laid out. I guess if you were asked to go for a 8000 yd walk and end up back where you started, this would make sense, but doesn't one who is instinctively traversing land go from point A to Point B? When I think about how most courses are routed I have a hard time thinking I would take a hike using the same route (unless I wanted to see all the best green sites along the way ;)).

Don:

Check out my review of Cruden Bay in THE CONFIDENTIAL GUIDE.

And don't tell me you don't have one.  Because I'm almost out of them.

Don_Mahaffey

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2012, 12:36:56 AM »
Tom,
Yes, I have a GC and I just read your review of Cruden Bay, again.

I get the connection to what Bill was saying. Obviously Bill Coore is an outstanding router of golf courses, that was never in doubt. I was thinking "instinctively traverse" was meant to mean how one might most easily navigate across a piece of ground. From your prompt I take it to mean what I said above combined with taking a path that reveals whatever beauty and interest the land offers along the way. Is that close? 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2012, 10:22:59 AM »
Tom,
Yes, I have a GC and I just read your review of Cruden Bay, again.

I get the connection to what Bill was saying. Obviously Bill Coore is an outstanding router of golf courses, that was never in doubt. I was thinking "instinctively traverse" was meant to mean how one might most easily navigate across a piece of ground. From your prompt I take it to mean what I said above combined with taking a path that reveals whatever beauty and interest the land offers along the way. Is that close? 

Yes.  It's a combination of the path of least resistance, and the most interesting way to go.

Tom Yost

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 12:32:40 PM »
"The human capability for imagination is vast, but it's nowhere near as vast as nature's in terms of variety, randomness and surprise,"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back