News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Kavanaugh

The Graduate
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:16 PM »
Were there not pull tabs on beers in 1967? Or, is this the most influential movie in modern golf architecture?  Every architect must have had that one project who was their Elaine. 

On a related note: Of all my memories of Riviera perhaps the most telling is being shown the home of Mel Brooks and his lovely wife. Damn cigarettes.

PCCraig

Re: The Graduate
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:11:12 AM »
So?
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:18:06 AM »
So?

Since you weren't alive in 67 I can't expect you to get it. The difference between Dustin Hoffman and Tom Cruise goes beyond Bob Seger.

Norbert P

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 12:59:02 AM »

Mr.  Kavanaugh!  I do believe you're trying to seduce Tom Paul out of hibernation with allusions to Katherine Ross.

"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Adam Clayman

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »
I have just one word for you. Frillybunkers.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »
I dont think I understand. Some complex Easter Vigil metaphor, perhaps. But it strikes me that I can't think of many architects who ever lost their heads over an "Elaine".  Many, on the other hand, have been seduced by "Mrs. Robinson".  Yes, the cigarette was part of the appeal; it felt so grown up.

Peter

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:18:52 AM »
I can hear Mr. McGuire now:

"I just want to say two words to you. Just two words. ... Are you listening?  ... Frilly bunkers. ... There's a great future in frilly bunkers. Think about it. Will you think about it? ... Enough said. That's a deal."

(I've often thought that if "The Graduate" were to be remade today -- perish the thought -- the one word of advice should be: "Packaging." Which, of course, frilly bunkers qualify as.)

http://movieclips.com/hypVT-the-graduate-movie-plastics/

P.S. As God is my witness, I didn't see Adam's post till now! Great minds...

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:49:17 AM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:08:12 AM »
Never really saw the parallels between Elaine and the white whale till now.

Still not sure I really do.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike Wagner

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »
This idea seems so half baked...

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 01:59:17 PM »
Were there not pull tabs on beers in 1967? Or, is this the most influential movie in modern golf architecture?  Every architect must have had that one project who was their Elaine. 

On a related note: Of all my memories of Riviera perhaps the most telling is being shown the home of Mel Brooks and his lovely wife. Damn cigarettes.

John,

Did you see the house  from the course or on La Mesa Drive?

Bob

Melvyn Morrow

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:06:23 PM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Adam Clayman

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 06:17:31 PM »
Now, I wouldn't presume to be the expert, not with Peter on this site, BUT, we did study this film in High School. The irony that surrounds this film is thick. Young people flocked to the theatre to see it. Yet, the story the director told, was demeaning to young people. Basically calling them idiots.

Maybe there's a gca lesson in that reality, too?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Dan King

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 06:36:39 PM »
1967 would have been around the time of the transition between church keys and pull tabs. A couple American beer companies had introduced the pull tab around then, but not all beer and soda had it just yet. It was the beginning of the end.

Cheers,
Dan King
`The caddie will only drink the more if overpaid,' you say. Indeed! and to what good purpose do you apply the money you grudge to the poor? Is there something nobler in your gout and dyspepsia than in my caddie's red nose?
  --Sir Walter Simpson

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 09:54:24 PM »

John,

Did you see the house  from the course or on La Mesa Drive?

Bob

Bob,

From the course, some guy who I believe said he was the builder pointed it out.

One of the beauties of the movie is that Anne Bancroft was only 36 and Dustin Hoffman was 30 in real life. The only comfort i took from the movie, as a 52 year old man, was that I have aged better than California.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 04:05:58 AM »
It was dangerous being a young adult beer drinker in 1967.  Those early pull tabs could slice swatches of skin off your thumb if you were not careful (and who is being careful when they are on their 2nd or 3rd six-pack of Rheingold?).  It was like thumb-wrestling an opponent with a Gillette Blue Blade attached to his thumbnail.....
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 04:18:59 AM by Rich Goodale »
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Dan King

« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2012, 05:09:42 AM »
Rihc,

My Master thesis is on the history of getting to beer. Its working title is In Heaven There is No Beer: That's Why We Drink it Here Mind if I quote you?

Cheers,
Dan King
But I can understand only three Australians and eight Japanese in the field. The Japanese buy more in the pro shop. They just back up a truck there and take everything. They're not dummies up at Augusta. They said, 'Invite more Japanese, they'll buy a lot of stuff. The Aussies, nah, they won't buy anything. The beer isn't strong enough for them.
 --Lee Trevino (on Australian Craig Parry not being invited to the 1996 Masters)

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 06:05:02 AM »
Rihc,

My Master thesis is on the history of getting to beer. Its working title is In Heaven There is No Beer: That's Why We Drink it Here Mind if I quote you?

Cheers,
Dan King
But I can understand only three Australians and eight Japanese in the field. The Japanese buy more in the pro shop. They just back up a truck there and take everything. They're not dummies up at Augusta. They said, 'Invite more Japanese, they'll buy a lot of stuff. The Aussies, nah, they won't buy anything. The beer isn't strong enough for them.
 --Lee Trevino (on Australian Craig Parry not being invited to the 1996 Masters)

Of course, Your Highness

Rihc
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 09:51:09 AM »
It appeared to me that while floating in the pool Ben was drinking an Olympic with two holes punched into the top of the can. Every young man should be required to learn the importance of that second hole.  It still fascinates me.

JMEvensky

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 01:22:27 PM »

Every young man should be required to learn the importance of that second hole.  It still fascinates me.

Are you speaking metaphorically?

John Kirk

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »
It appeared to me that while floating in the pool Ben was drinking an Olympic with two holes punched into the top of the can. Every young man should be required to learn the importance of that second hole.  It still fascinates me.

Don't you mean Olympia, from Tumwater, Washington?  I used to drive by the brewery twice a summer when I was a kid. 

Rich Goodale

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 11:25:46 AM »
Knowing how to open a can with the ancient implements Barney refers to was invaluable if you were beer-enabled in the 60's but had to improvise if the new-fangled technology of pull tabs failed, or injured you severly enough so opening another was a life threatening event.  Yes, learning to poke the second smaller hole in the old tin metal was one of those rites of passage passed on from father to son, like tying bowlines, crossing over the bag to make the double play, and how to undo a bra strap effortlessly (well, 2 out of 3 ain't bad....).

Given that Dustin H was 30 at the time, I suspect he used the can opener on a pull-tab enabled can of Oly, just out of habit and or boredom whilst waiting his chance to see Ann B naked.  Those were the pre-Cougar days too, so the fact that his paramour was only 6 years older would be 26 years older in those days.  Times change and time changes.
Life is good.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back