News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Terry Lavin

LEE WESTWOOD!!!
« on: April 05, 2012, 06:31:43 PM »
I say he's gonna win this thing.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

mike_beene

Re: LEE WESTWOOD!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 06:41:04 PM »
I hope so.I always get this idea that people deserve a major and he does.Plus he has come so far back.I am pulling for him and Choi.Not sure what KJ has done as my wife has the big TV so screwed up we can't get it to work.

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 07:45:28 PM »
Easy Terry. How many 1st round leaders of any tournament, let alone a major, wind up winning the event? You could almost say the odds are now against him. ;)

However, hats off to Mr. Westwood.  It looks like he has lost a good 15-20 pounds and that will have to help his stamina over the 4 days of play.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »
Easy Terry. How many 1st round leaders of any tournament, let alone a major, wind up winning the event? You could almost say the odds are now against him. ;)

However, hats off to Mr. Westwood.  It looks like he has lost a good 15-20 pounds and that will have to help his stamina over the 4 days of play.

Just trying to provoke discussion. I would like to see him win, though. He'd be a popular winner the world over.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sean Leary

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 08:28:44 PM »
Set himself up for another second place finish.;)

I'd love to see him get a major and if he does, I bet he gets a few more before he is done. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:45:48 PM »
I just wonder if Westwood has the short game to win it.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 09:55:18 PM »
It's not going to be easy, but I have a feeling he has the steel to get it done after many close calls.

Jason Walker

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 09:59:25 PM »
Terry-

I hope you're right--I'm a big Westwood fan.

But I've been saying the same thing for a number of years.

Gonna be tough.

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2012, 10:27:17 PM »
It is also nice to see Paul Lawrie playing well again, after being lost in the desert for so many years.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2012, 10:46:10 PM »
Since 1980, only 3 first round leaders have won the Masters.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 02:09:59 AM »
David,

I read somewhere that Paul Lawrie has resurrected the joy in his game having played many a competitive round with his son. His return to the forefront of the world stage would indeed be a Lazarus type of act. It is Easter after all and miracles abound!
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 04:14:09 AM »
Lee is attached to the golf course I designed in Newcastle , England called the 'Colt' at Close House. He came to the opening in May last year and asked to be attached and has been a revelation ever since. He conducts himself extremely well, has a great sense of humour and is obviously a very talented player. We are all wishing him a great week, and if he keeps putting like he did in round one, he'll be very hard to stop.

GO LEE!

Mark Pearce

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 05:40:12 AM »
It's no secret that I'm a huge fan of Westwood.  I'd love him to win this week but I worry that his short game isn't quite up to a Masters win.  I've always thought he's most likely to win an Open (of either variety).  Would love to be proved wrong but there's a long, long way to go.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Scott Warren

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 05:44:31 AM »
He has gone close before, so let's hope he draws on that and can convert.

I will say the bit of nastiness between he and McIlroy regarding Rory's break from Chandler has cooled me a bit on both of them - Westwood more than Rory if I'm honest - but I know so little about the inner machinations of it that I try not to read took much into that.

Hopefully an Aussie can go low Friday and give us a chance at the weekend.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:30:27 AM by Scott Warren »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 06:25:29 AM »
Calm down, Westwood huggers!  There are a lot of quality players within 5 shots, and 5 shots means nothing at Augusta, particularly the way the course seems to be playing (i.e. fair but treacherous).  Lee has as good a chance as anybody, but he still needs to prove he can close the deal in a major.  So far he is more of a Monty than a Faldo in this regard.  Looks like a fun weekend ahead for us spectators!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:27 AM »
Not to mention Lawrie Lovers!!!

Scots wha hae an a' that!!!
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Rich Goodale

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 07:43:43 AM »
Colin

I'm a Lawrie Lover too (mostly for those two great and courageous 4-irons he hit to the 18th at Carnoustie to beat Leonard and Van de Velde, but also because he was kind enough to write the forward to my Carnoustie book....)

David

Did you ever see Johnny Miller in his prime?  Or Moe Norman, now that I think about it (see http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,14765.msg252707/topicseen.html#msg252707)

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Jud_T

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 07:45:25 AM »
I'd love to see it but come sunday if he's not still hitting it stiff I cringe to think of him standing over some 5 footers for grinding pars.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Michael George

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 08:08:49 AM »

I tend to root for the person that "deserves" to win the most - that is Westwood in this year's Masters.  Here's hoping he does it.

But as long as Phil beats Tiger, I will be happy. ;)
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

George Pazin

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »
I really hope Lee wins, he would be my first choice (among the contenders). But it's too early to get excited.

I wonder how much of his stellar play was due to soft, receptive greens. The weekend is supposed to be beautiful, things should firm up a good bit.

Does anyone know what type of course Lee learned the game on? Links/heathland/parkland?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Jim Tang

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:29 AM »
Westwood hit 16 or 18 greens!  That is rediculously good.  I would love to see him win, although I agree the first round leader almost never wins.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 09:31:42 AM »
No one hits it better than Westwood, for 63 holes or so.  I'm a big fan, but he has shown tendencies to fade down the stretch and his short game, particularly his chipping, isn't top notch.  I'm rooting for him.

George,

I'm sure Westwood grew up playing parkland golf.  He's a blue collar lad, from Worksop I believe.  I recall him saying several years ago that he considered TOC to be the 200th best course ... in Fife.

Paul_Turner

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 09:46:34 AM »
Since 1980, only 3 first round leaders have won the Masters.

David

I suspect that's probably normal for all tournaments...about 10% win rate for 1st round leaders.

But then again how many in 2nd place after round 1 have gone onto win...or 5th, or 20th.

I've gotta think that more players win after leading through round #1, in comparison with any other position...it probably would show up in the stats if you look at enough tournaments.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 09:53:52 AM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 10:14:00 AM »
I'm not sure where Lee learned the game, but I know he played a lot of his golf at Lindrick, which is pretty classic heath.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

George Pazin

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:29 AM »
Thanks, Tim P and Adam.

Tim, that comment about TOC is funny, especially so for me, because my first and maybe still strongest memory of TOC on TV was watching Lee putt one stone dead from at least 50 yards off the green on one of the earlier holes (maybe 5 or 6). It's curious that he's not a big fan, yet can still get it right. Maybe these guys really are good...

David

Did you ever see Johnny Miller in his prime?  Or Moe Norman, now that I think about it (see http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,14765.msg252707/topicseen.html#msg252707)

Rich

And yet Johnny's irons didn't seem to be as close at Augusta... :) How many times was he in serious contention there? JM was very honest about this in a recent Golf or GD interview, stating that the greens at Augusta were just too tough for his suspect putting. I think if he let something like that slip out more frequently while on air, he might pick up a few more fans.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back