News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Davis

I am happy to be here!
« on: April 03, 2012, 07:17:23 PM »
I don't know if this is customary, but I am a new member as of yesterday. I have been a frequent viewer of this site and of your posts for quite some time, but I am now officially a member of GCA and I want to thank you for helping me to learn so much about golf courses and their architecture. For my first post I just wanted to take a moment to introduce myself. I was taught to golf when I was a young boy by my father, who was a great golfer in his younger years. I grew up in the Los Angeles area and grew up playing the local munis (which are nothing to write home about). It wasn't until a year and a half ago that I played, what I consider, my first true golf course (actually it was two in one day). Those were Old MacDonald and Pacific Dunes. It was like something was ignited within me and I felt that this is what golf was meant to be. Playing those courses was something special to me, and I felt like I was home. I currently live in Oregon and so I am blessed to be so close to Bandon and was able to play there on 3 separate occasions this winter. It was on Old Mac that I got my first hole-in-one (hole #5, upper left pin placement), and shot my career low round (72 on the same round). I know Mr. Doak is a frequent poster on GCA, and so I want to thank him personally for designing two of the world's great courses (they are #1 and #2 in my book). Thanks again for everyone's contributions to this site. I hope to contribute my thoughts in the future, although I am no expert and have so much to learn.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:22:48 PM by Stephen Davis »

Ronald Montesano

Re: I am happy to be here!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:38 PM »
Welcome, Baron Davis.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Alex Miller

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
Stephen, Welcome!

Where in L.A. are you from and what courses did you play? Were you still around when Rustic opened?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 07:50:00 PM »
Happy to be in your company!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

William_G

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:49:41 PM »
welcome to the party, nice hole in one!

It's all about the golf!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
Good for you, already kissing up.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
Stephen, Welcome!

Where in L.A. are you from and what courses did you play? Were you still around when Rustic opened?

I am from Torrance. I have never played Rustic Canyon, but I have heard it is a great course. I hope to play it next time I go home, it looks awesome and I really like the Hanse designs/restorations that I have seen.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 09:08:35 PM »
Welcome from a Nor Cal guy living in Chicago.  Congrats on your ace.  What a special place to do it.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 10:36:46 PM »
Welcome!

What happened at Bandon was the ghost of CB Macdonald touching your soul! What he passed on to Raynor, Banks, and Barton has now been passed on to you. Enjoy the great playing fields that they built and study the holes that inspired them. That is all you need to learn on CGA.COM.  :)

Tim Bert

« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 08:57:01 AM »
Stephen - When giving thanks for the two great courses you mention at Bandon  lets not forget that Mr Urbina is on the site and an active poster as well.   He receives co-design credit for Old Macdonald and also made significant contributions to the product in the ground at Pacific Dunes.

Welcome to the site!

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 09:08:36 AM »
Welcome, Stephen.

Enjoy, this is an exceptional group here on GCA IN MORE WAYS THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE!!
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Howard Riefs

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 09:38:56 AM »
Welcome, Stephen. Great to have you on board!
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

PCCraig

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 09:51:48 AM »
Welcome Stephen!
H.P.S.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 09:54:18 AM »
Welcome Stephen...hope you enjoy the site as much as I have over the past ten years.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2012, 11:46:47 AM »
Stephen - When giving thanks for the two great courses you mention at Bandon  lets not forget that Mr Urbina is on the site and an active poster as well.   He receives co-design credit for Old Macdonald and also made significant contributions to the product in the ground at Pacific Dunes.

Welcome to the site!

Great catch! I would hate to leave anyone out! What Mr. Doak, Mr. Urbina and all others involved with the creation of Old MacDonald did is truly something special. It holds a special place in my heart and is a place I will revisit many times throughout my life.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 11:49:14 AM »

Welcome to the site!

And Sebonack - he was heavily involved in that.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,50322.0.html

Wow! This course looks incredible. I now have another one to add to my bucket list.

George Pazin

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 12:23:12 PM »
Wow! This course looks incredible. I now have another one to add to my bucket list.

Spoken like a long time member of the site... :)

Welcome, don't be shy.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back