News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Sander

Mega Millions GCA
« on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »
Odd thoughts while camping this weekend, spending lazy days talking about how we woulda, coulda spent the $640 Million...

I'll preface the question by admitting that the missus and I daydream about lottery riches quite a lot, though our chances are likely injured somewhat by our lack of actually ponying up the buck to play.

Over the years, our patter has fallen into a familiar rhythm - how many branches on the family tree would we try to 'help', what charities or research projects could we underwrite, how much would we reserve for our own two-person economic stimulus plan, etc.

But when the numbers start to grow to those seen last week, the conversation changes a bit.  Instead of talking about what we'd try to help cure/endow/discover, the numbers were large enough that one could actually see doing something of lightning-bolt significance.  As my better half said, a few hundred million focused on the right thing in the right way with the right people handling it could truly reshape the landscape. 

'Course when she used the word 'landscape', my attention started to drift.

So here's the question (and it'll require you to swallow the impulse to do some 'real' good): given access to a few hundred million dollars and a directive to use a hefty chunk of it for GCA purposes, what would you do?

Raze a half century of development and resurrect a historic NLE?  Bankroll some restorations?  Build something akin to CommonGround for your favorite population center(s) - bequeathing golf courses like Carnegie did libraries?  Hire your favorite GCA to turn your lower 40 into your own playground?

Again - just dream.  No one is going to judge you for not saying you'd give the $$ to blepharospasm research; in this exercise you -must- use it for the good of the game.  Or your game.  Whatever. 

Tim Gavrich

Re: Mega Millions GCA
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:10:22 AM »
I would fund an all-out renovation binge (mostly on public courses) since we have basically all the golf courses we need (and then some) to support the US's golf habit.  But I'd probably be unable to resist the urge to design and build a course, just to see if I could pull a Crump or Fownes.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

John McCarthy

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:25:44 AM »
i'm building a golf course - there would be no doubt.  I figure then I can bother the architect all I want since I'm paying for the privilege.  I would then institute my rules.  First rule would be singles and twosomes only before 7:30 am - so folks can play a round and still get to work. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »
1. Build a golf resort that's 100% self sustainable and becomes a test lab for the industry.

2.  Reopen High Pointe and give you-know-who carte blanche to make whatever changes his heart desires.

3.  Give Mike DeVries a perfectly flat piece of ground, a hit of acid and a shovel...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Dave McCollum

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:49:08 AM »
Keep on farming til it's all gone.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
I'd retire and buy a house in Bandon, Inverness NS, Mullen NE, Bend OR, and here in metro Philly.  There's plenty of golf there, and I can fly to Europe and other wonderful places whenever I'd like.

But, alas, I didn't win, so it's back to enjoying what I have (which is a lot)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back