News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall Hay

Mark,

Thanks for posting.  What other Prichard restorations have you played?

Jud, I'm not sure  ::)

He doesn't seem to have a website.  Do you have a list of the courses he's worked on?

I am fairly sure he did Aronimink, so I know of at least one.

He definitely did Aronimink…great course.

Niall Hay

Brian, it was from a trip to NC in November.  We played Charlotte CC (Ross), Carolina GC (Ross), P2 (Ross), P8 (Fazio, I think), Dormie (C+C), Old Town (Maxwell) -- absolutely amazing golf... worthy of your presence!

Based in Toronto now.  Just getting warm enough to start playing again!

Mark, great pictures as always, thanks!

How does Charlotte CC compare to the others on that list?   Also, notice no Quail Hollow. Any reason for that?

What are considered the best courses in the Charlotte area?

Carl Johnson

Brian, it was from a trip to NC in November.  We played Charlotte CC (Ross), Carolina GC (Ross), P2 (Ross), P8 (Fazio, I think), Dormie (C+C), Old Town (Maxwell) -- absolutely amazing golf... worthy of your presence!

Based in Toronto now.  Just getting warm enough to start playing again!

. . .

What are considered the best courses in the Charlotte area?

As a long-time Charlotte resident/"golfer," here's my list of the best Charlotte courses in alphabetical order:

Carmel Country Club (South Course)
Carolina Golf Club
Charlotte Country Club
Myers Park Country Club (like Carolina, it is Ross with more recent Spence work)
Quail Hollow Club

[By way of disclosure of interest, I am a member of Carolina GC.]

The Club at Irish Creek, a modern re-do of the Kannapolis Country Club club course by Davis Love several years ago, which is in the Charlotte area, is a course that is also very well regarded, and which I like a lot.  I should also mention that Charlotte has an early Tom Doak design, Charlotte Golf Links, which is a daily fee course.  I have not played there in a very long time, however, so I cannot say how well it has been maintained and what changes may have been made to it since the it was first opened.  Sad to say, my guess is that the typical Charlotte Golf Links daily-fee player does not consciously appreciate the the architecture.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:11:48 AM by Carl Johnson »

Niall Hay

Alphabetical order vs. by rank of quality?

How are Charlotte CC and Quail Hollow generally viewed by locals?  Charlotte CC looks great in the pictures. Obviously Quail Hollow gets a lot of publicity with the PGA tourney.

Carl Johnson

Alphabetical order vs. by rank of quality?

How are Charlotte CC and Quail Hollow generally viewed by locals?  Charlotte CC looks great in the pictures. Obviously Quail Hollow gets a lot of publicity with the PGA tourney.

Niall, my listing above was alphabetical.  I would not like to rank them by "quality."  Among other things, they are different experiences that are unfair, in my view, to compare.  I'm not much of a fan of "rankings."

Here's my "local" take on Charlotte CC and Quail Hollow, which I believe would be typical of my friends.  I hope others will chime in.  Also, I may be taking some risk of offending friends – I have some who are members of CCC, and others of Quail.  Both are outstanding clubs and courses.  They are "big" courses and "big" clubs – and both are very expensive and very private.

CCC is an old club that I regard (for those who think this kind of thing important) as the premier social and golf "country club" in Charlotte.  The course is outstanding, and has recently hosted USGA Senior Am and Women's Am championships.  It could easily provide a fair test for a pro tournament, or even, I would venture, a U.S. Open.  However, my sense is that the membership has no interest in going that direction.  Also, the compactness and location of the CCC course would present some difficulties in hosting a lot of spectators (whoops, patrons - I just got a window sticker for my car that identifies me as a "patron" of the Wells Fargo Championship at Quail, so I need to be careful about that).

By way of contrast, Quail was developed in the 1970s with the idea of hosting professional tournaments and providing a premier "country club" for, among others, newcomers to the Charlotte area for whom the waiting list to get into CCC would be too long – for example, business executives moving in from out-of-town who wanted to hit the ground golfing and country club entertaining.  As you note, Niall, Quail has much greater public exposure because of the pro tournaments it has hosted.

In sum, as I said above, both are outstanding clubs and courses, with outstanding memberships, which I have been privileged to visit as a guest.  I am a member of neither.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:32:49 PM by Carl Johnson »

Niall Hay

Great insight Carl, thanks!

Bruce Wellmon

Carl is spot on. I grew up in Charlotte. And with the exception of grad school , have lived within an hour of Charlotte all my life.
Although, I thought Irish Creek was sort of bipolar. There was the new/long holes/brute side and the old/much shorter/classic side.
I much prefer CC of Salisbury, perhaps 25 minutes further north of Charlotte, where 9 are Ross, vs Irish Creek. (Just my opinion)
Carmel had Rees transform one of their courses in the last 18 months. It could, IMO, host the "Wells Fargo" event while Quail gets ready for the PGA in 2016(?). Charlotte CC could host any event anytime the membership desired but it would be logistically a challenge re corporate pavillions, busing, etc.

Carl Johnson

Carl is spot on. I grew up in Charlotte. And with the exception of grad school , have lived within an hour of Charlotte all my life.
Although, I thought Irish Creek was sort of bipolar. There was the new/long holes/brute side and the old/much shorter/classic side.
I much prefer CC of Salisbury, perhaps 25 minutes further north of Charlotte, where 9 are Ross, vs Irish Creek. (Just my opinion)
Carmel had Rees transform one of their courses in the last 18 months. It could, IMO, host the "Wells Fargo" event while Quail gets ready for the PGA in 2016(?). Charlotte CC could host any event anytime the membership desired but it would be logistically a challenge re corporate pavillions, busing, etc.

Bruce, I've never played Salisbury, which is why I didn't list it, but I've heard good things about it from friends who have played it and do want to visit sometime.  Now that I am 100% retired I've got more time to look around.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back