News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom_Doak

Back to Work for Renaissance Golf
« on: April 01, 2012, 08:20:57 PM »
If I'm not around for a while, it could be because we are actually back to work doing the part we love -- building golf courses again.

I'm off to Nebraska tomorrow with Brian Schneider and Don Mahaffey and Zach Varty to figure out what we'll do first at Dismal River this spring and exactly when we'll get at it -- probably before the end of April.  I just looked at the weather and it was 85 degrees there today!

Brian Slawnik is on the move this week from Melbourne to the north island of New Zealand, where our new project for Ric Kayne is about to get underway near Mangawhai Heads ... they have been clearing the pine trees off the dunes, and I'll most likely be there in early May when Brian starts shaping the first few greens.

Eric Iverson has just returned home from Hainan Island for a little r & r, as our project there has been moving slowly ... but it's set to kick into high gear in mid April, so they will have four holes shaped and four more holes ready to go when I get there in early June.

It's going to be a busy spring.  It's about time.

Michael Taylor

Re: Back to Work for Renaissance Golf
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »
Good to know it's all going well Tom.

Me and Kevin Pallier just played Kauri Cliffs the other day, and on the way back down we agreed that there really needs to be another great course between Auckland and Kerikeri to make the trip worthwhile. It looks like you might be the one to do it. It's a shame I didn't hear about the site at Mangawhai earlier, as me and Kevin would have loved to have checked it out.

Michael

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 08:35:20 PM »
As Pup says it would be good to have a quality course between Auckland and Kauri

After doing over 2,500kms in just a few weeks we thought the Whangarei area had some decent dunes as well ?

Jim Colton

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:40:34 PM »
Looks like a pretty cool area to work, on Google Maps :)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 08:56:23 PM »
Jim:

It looks better on Google Earth.

I think the property is a bit south of your pixels.  That point of land sticking up to the north on the eastern shore is a point of barren, massive sand dunes -- the central ridge must be 50 or 60 meters high at one point.  Of course, that's all protected land.  But the area immediately to the south of it, where the trees start [or used to start] -- that's our site.  We can't get right out to the beach, but the setback isn't too bad.  The course will vary from the 5 meter elevation up to about 25 meters in the back.  I'll get a map of it up here one of these days.

Jim Colton

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:14:25 PM »
Tom,

I was going to ask you how high that dune was, it looks huge from the satellite image.

Ben Sims

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26:04 PM »
Tom,

Very excited to hear that you guys will be back in Mullen this week.  Zach and I, as well as Don and I have been talking in excited anticipation for the spring.  I wish I could take some leave and be there with y'all, but I'll be busy in east Georgia for a few days.   ;D

Scott Coan

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 09:50:35 PM »
Great news on the NZ edition at Mangawhai Heads!  I took my kids to the far north last summer vacation and we stayed at Mangawhai Heads on the way up.  Took this pic as I was amazed at this incredible sand dune!!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 10:00:04 PM by Scott Coan »

Jim Nugent

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:19:30 AM »
Tom, have you worked out a routing yet? 

BCrosby

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »
Tom -

Let me get this straight. You are foregoing posting on GCA to do actual work?

For most of us, it's exactly the opposite. You get limited sympathy from us.  ;)

Good luck with the projects. Keep us posted.

Bob

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 10:31:21 AM »
Bob - poor Tom D and Don M.  I feel sorry for them.  They actually think they'll be happier doing the work than they are talking about it around here. Hopefully three or four months away in exotic locations being creative and designing great golf courses will disabuse them of that crazy notion. If not, an intervention may be in order!  I mean, who in their right mind would want to be out there digging and shaping and irrigating when they could be in here yakking and bull shi--ing and arguing over nothing?  It's sad.  I would've thought they'd have learned a thing or two after 30 years in the business.    

Peter
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 10:46:32 AM by PPallotta »

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 11:08:38 AM »
Tom,

Good to see business is picking up. Best of luck on all of the projects this year.

Any interesting and/or new restoration/renovation work lined up for this year? 
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 01:59:25 PM »

Pat:

We've got to get one of the above mentioned projects built this summer, so that one of my associates is free to come back to Chicago and start working on the reconstruction of Medinah #1 in Chicago, starting the Monday after the Ryder Cup.  That's the only big renovation project we've got, or intend to get anytime soon.

We do have another small renovation that will be much celebrated here -- on August 1st, Jim Urbina and I will be at Garden City Golf Club restoring the original [wild] 12th green.  That particular project has been a long time coming.  I hope they enjoy it!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 02:00:37 PM »
Bob - poor Tom D and Don M.  I feel sorry for them.  They actually think they'll be happier doing the work than they are talking about it around here. Hopefully three or four months away in exotic locations being creative and designing great golf courses will disabuse them of that crazy notion. If not, an intervention may be in order!  I mean, who in their right mind would want to be out there digging and shaping and irrigating when they could be in here yakking and bull shi--ing and arguing over nothing?  It's sad.  I would've thought they'd have learned a thing or two after 30 years in the business.    

Peter

Peter:

Well, somebody's got to go out and build something to give you guys something new to talk about, instead of the subjects we've already worn out. 

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 02:10:04 PM »
Great idea, I think we have worn out " land fit for the purpose". Playing Stonewall, the walking course next week, cannot wait.

ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Joey Chase

« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 02:36:00 PM »

Pat:

We've got to get one of the above mentioned projects built this summer, so that one of my associates is free to come back to Chicago and start working on the reconstruction of Medinah #1 in Chicago, starting the Monday after the Ryder Cup.  That's the only big renovation project we've got, or intend to get anytime soon.

We do have another small renovation that will be much celebrated here -- on August 1st, Jim Urbina and I will be at Garden City Golf Club restoring the original [wild] 12th green.  That particular project has been a long time coming.  I hope they enjoy it!

I am so excited to hear that!!  The 12th at Garden City is the best change necessary there. 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 02:54:00 PM »
Tom,

That's good news for you, your firm and golf.

What would you say are the major differences, permitting wise, between the U.S. and New Zealand and other countries ?

It's certainly exciting to hear that you're going to restore the 12th at GCGC.

I think that one project will be extremely well received throughout the golfing world, perhaps leading to more restorations of fabulous holes that NLE.

Good luck.

jkinney

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 04:00:21 PM »
Keep up your great work, Tom. Godspeed.       

JSlonis

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2012, 05:56:57 PM »

Pat:

That's exciting news. Can't wait to see the finished product. Good luck with all your upcoming projects.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 12:40:36 AM »

What would you say are the major differences, permitting wise, between the U.S. and New Zealand and other countries ?

The view of golf course permitting is different everywhere you go.  My general impression is that permitting is even tougher in Europe than in the U.S. -- it takes YEARS in Europe.  In New Zealand, it's much more relaxed, unless there are Maori archaeological issues involved.  And in China, my impression is that everything depends on whether your friends in the party offices have the pull to get you what you need.  But, the underlying truth is that not every country places value on the same environmental issues; it's all a matter of perspective.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 03:41:00 AM »
Tom D:

I recall you mentioned the possibility of a project in Bordeaux some time ago, or am I mistaken?
Any news on that?

Ron Farris

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 03:52:25 AM »
Wow, that is some really beautiful looking sand.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 08:19:47 AM »
Tom Doak,

The restoration of the 12th at Garden City will be great for Garden City and hopefully great for golf and golf course restorations throughout the country.

As you know, I've always enjoyed the chapter in your book devoted to the greatest holes that no longer exist.
Now, you'll have to amend your book down to 18, or find another # 19

Perhaps the restoration of the incredible 12th hole at GCGC will energize the other clubs to restore wonderful holes that have been lost over the years.

Do you think that a faithful restoration will result in GCGC moving up n the rankings ?

It's hard to imagine that such a dramatic enhancement wouldn't have a very pronounced impact on the rankings

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 08:48:26 AM »

Pat:

Thanks Tom. I forgot about your project at Medinah #1. Best of luck with it!
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back